What GPU To Buy? - No Navi

KimberlyHulshof
21 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I would not order any parts of Ali express.

go  for a quality brand like EKWB

Ah the only parts i will be ordering from there are basicly the pipes - fittings [ replacing the O rings with ones i have from construction ] and the res. The CPU and waterblocks i will be taking from only brands i know for sure are good.

8 minutes ago, KimberlyHulshof said:

Ah the only parts i will be ordering from there are basicly the pipes - fittings [ replacing the O rings with ones i have from construction ] and the res. The CPU and waterblocks i will be taking from only brands i know for sure are good.

Question, do you know if the AMD Ryzen 7 1700X is better then the I5-9600K?

21 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I would not order any parts of Ali express.

go  for a quality brand like EKWB

Do you know if the AMD Ryzen 7 1700X is better then the i5-9600K?

19 minutes ago, KimberlyHulshof said:

Do you know if the AMD Ryzen 7 1700X is better then the i5-9600K?

Depends on the specific workload, multitasking I also go for Ryzen (also far better price to performance ratio then intel )

if if you can stretch go for the 2700x or 2600x OR wait till end of the month (computex) and we will know heaps more about ryzen 3000

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

56 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Depends on the specific workload, multitasking I also go for Ryzen (also far better price to performance ratio then intel )

if if you can stretch go for the 2700x or 2600x OR wait till end of the month (computex) and we will know heaps more about ryzen 3000

Ah its moreso because the AMD Ryzen 7 1700X is like €100 cheaper then the 9600k here.

37 minutes ago, KimberlyHulshof said:

Ah its moreso because the AMD Ryzen 7 1700X is like €100 cheaper then the 9600k here.

I would take the 1700x, get a B450 board like the tomahawk or Gaming carbon pro and then in a few months you can upgrade to a ryzen 3000 CPU without having to change mobo etc

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I would take the 1700x, get a B450 board like the tomahawk or Gaming carbon pro and then in a few months you can upgrade to a ryzen 3000 CPU without having to change mobo etc

Yeah, that was the idea for now i am going to get the Vega, then probably the Ryzen 1700x wait a little that next month - doing a giveaway on my discord server for a Masterbox 5. And then i can get the good motherboard.

Also decided to get a 8 gig stick when i can, also found This Vega Waterblock on Aliexpress.

Well, good/bad news. My card is the "fixed" version, it has a little thermal pad on top the the vrm ( which i assume is the fix ).

*Out of the box settings, no tinkering*

After running heaven benchmark on extreme for 5 mins, the

SOC VRM got to 102C and

Mem VRM 91C.

The GPU temp got to 80C with fans ramping up to 48% (1842rpm).

Hotspot temp reported 95C

For reference, the room temp is around ~30-33C.

Feel free to ask any more questions, I may post my thoughts on the card after spending more time with it.

2 minutes ago, m1cr0l said:

Well, good/bad news. My card is the "fixed" version, it has a little thermal pad on top the the vrm ( which i assume is the fix ).

SOC VRM got to 102C and

Mem VRM 91C.

Feel free to ask any more questions, I may post my thoughts on the card after spending more time with it.

Oh damn those SOC VRM scores though, does that not mean its thotteling? [ on purpose misspelling ]

Do you have any control of the fans? - you could get a second GPU cooler card off of Amazon and connect the fans to the GPU to the sideport for 2 extra fans, that way you can cool it better.

I plan on watercooling it though ^^

15 minutes ago, KimberlyHulshof said:

Oh damn those SOC VRM scores though, does that not mean its thotteling? [ on purpose misspelling ]

Do you have any control of the fans? - you could get a second GPU cooler card off of Amazon and connect the fans to the GPU to the sideport for 2 extra fans, that way you can cool it better.

I plan on watercooling it though ^^

Yep, I can control the gpu fan speeds. For a more accurate test I should've let it ran longer but I've got things to do. The card did not throttle tho, it stayed around 1500+ on the core. I'm going to start tweaking the card so see how the temps improve.

Since you're intending to watercool it then all should be well.

Edit: Fan speed can't be set to 0 via wattman if you want to have manual control

6 minutes ago, m1cr0l said:

Yep, I can control the gpu fan speeds. For a more accurate test I should've let it ran longer but I've got things to do. The card did not throttle tho, it stayed around 1500+ on the core. I'm going to start tweaking the card so see how the temps improve.

Since you're intending to watercool it then all should be well.

Yeah ^^ It's gonna be a bit over powered of a water cooling setup i have in mind, hell if i can get a proper amount of fans i could put about [ what i am planning on ] 26 fans in there at the least, if just for the cool factor, already also got a name for it and a sticker i can get made. Sending it in as an image.

I'd use the V-____ part to put the version of the build with whiteboard markers.

Cotton CM V Sticker PNG.png

22 minutes ago, KimberlyHulshof said:

Yeah ^^ It's gonna be a bit over powered of a water cooling setup i have in mind, hell if i can get a proper amount of fans i could put about [ what i am planning on ] 26 fans in there at the least, if just for the cool factor, already also got a name for it and a sticker i can get made. Sending it in as an image.

I'd use the V-____ part to put the version of the build with whiteboard markers.

Cotton CM V Sticker PNG.png

Fancy stuff ?

2 minutes ago, m1cr0l said:

Fancy stuff ?

Eh its about 10 minutes messing around in Paint.net :3

43 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

I would get a used 1070. They’re going for less than 200usd on eBay 

Though i do not enjoy getting hand me downs as there is always a reason they sell it, and, with this AMD card because i prefer AMD i get WWZ and The Division 2 for free.

Okay so update - Might have to go wit ha 590 instead if i want to get teh Ram but i will see that on tuesday.

Then i could also get 16 ram instead of 8 extra.

You can always look at benchmakrs to see which graphics card and/or processor is better.  It'll help you decide on various games, especially ones you're plannin on playin, since certain ones prefer Intel/NVIDIA and others prefer AMD.  The 1660ti is pretty good right now for the price, along w/the Vega 56 at about $264 on NewEgg for an open-box version at a 20% discount.

Gaming pretty much prefers Intel for overall optimization for games and single-core performance, so I'd recommend anything Intel for your processor.  NVIDIA is also preferred for most games, but the prices aren't nearly as reasonable and AMD is gettin far better support in time and they're easily the best "bang for your buck".  I don't recommend RTX anything, since they're overpriced, not mastered and have major confirmed issues from massive amounts of reports and confirmations from NVIDIA.  Also, anything under an RTX 2080 isn't even recommended for Raytracing, which only works on reflections as of right now w/lowered detail settings (def. not worth the price, currently).

Here's a quick look at pricing I've found over the last 3 weeks of the best deals on CPU's and top dollar/premium GPU's at their lowest prices (ex: FTW3 series for EVGA on RTX).  I looked on NewEgg, Amazon.com and Micro Center for the pricing.  These're all current, so hopefully it'll help you some, if at all.  The GPU prices usually won't be higher, unless there was a massive deal on the best tier in-slot, so it might go up from there, like w/the AMD Vega 56 and RTX 2080, which's usually $300 and $900.

Prices - Graphics Cards and Processors.jpg

Primary

CPU:      i9-10900k 3.7-5.3GHz (10th gen)

GPU:      EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12gb

MB:         ASUS RoG Maximus XIII Hero (ATX)

RAM:      64gb (4x16) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ Silver/Black (CL16)

HD:         1x 8TB Corsair MP400 NVMe PCIe 3.0 (SSD)

2x 16TB Seagate Exos 7200rpm (HDD)

E-HD:     12TB WD

PSU:       EVGA 1000w G2, 80+ Gold (modular)

UPS:       900w CyberPower

Display:   ASUS 27” 1440p/270Hz IPS 0.5ms (XG27AQM)

Aorus 27" 1440p/165Hz IPS 1ms (FI27Q-P) iGPU

KeyB:      EVGA Z15 (wired)

Mouse:    Logitech G-502 Hero (400/600/800/1000)

Headset: JBL Quantum ONE Gaming Headset

Case:      Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh (ATX)

Other:     XB-1 Wireless Controller Adapter w/Controller

NPET H01 Gaming Mouse Bungee Cord Holder w/4 USB Ports

Gaming Computer Specs.pdf

On 5/11/2019 at 5:40 PM, m1cr0l said:

SOC VRM got to 102C and

Mem VRM 91C.

Does the thermal pad fully cover VRM? If I remember right, pad has always been there, but it wasn't fully covering VRM (this issue being covered on Vega 64 Strix):

Judging from your case, even with abnormaly high ambient temps, I would say you still could benefit from re-applying thermal pad

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

5 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

Does the thermal pad fully cover VRM? If I remember right, pad has always been there, but it wasn't fully covering VRM (this issue being covered on Vega 64 Strix):

Judging from your case, even with abnormaly high ambient temps, I would say you still could benefit from re-applying thermal pad

I would assume mine is, this is the picture I took before plugging in the card. Anyway, since I cap my fps at 75, the card stays around 60C while gaming most of the time with the fans not spinning so all's good

IMG_20190511_213155.jpg

8 hours ago, m1cr0l said:

I would assume mine is, this is the picture I took before plugging in the card. Anyway, since I cap my fps at 75, the card stays around 60C while gaming most of the time with the fans not spinning so all's good

Damn

Also update - Ordered 2x4gb sticks extra Ram of G-Skill Aegis 2400 to match my old to get 16 Ram total so streaming wont be a problem, also getting the Vega 56 Strix from Asus for €325,- So that i can actually play new games on Ultra with les delay, and on Medium / High when recording/streaming.

1 hour ago, KimberlyHulshof said:

Damn

Also update - Ordered 2x4gb sticks extra Ram of G-Skill Aegis 2400 to match my old to get 16 Ram total so streaming wont be a problem, also getting the Vega 56 Strix from Asus for €325,- So that i can actually play new games on Ultra with les delay, and on Medium / High when recording/streaming.

If you're on the i3 8100 then streaming might be a bit iffy but if it works it works right. Anyway the card so far has been amazing and I just love how huge the card is and how well it fits into my build!

1 minute ago, m1cr0l said:

If you're on the i3 8100 then streaming might be a bit iffy but if it works it works right. Anyway the card so far has been amazing and I just love how huge the card is and how well it fits into my build!

Haha yeah i will keep you updated on that :P But i had to take out my hard drive cage out of this temporary case, it's still sturdy but now the GPU can fit, looking into a new intel one that will be better [ doing my search on that, probably going 9600k ]

On 5/14/2019 at 12:20 PM, m1cr0l said:

Got the card xD

On 5/10/2019 at 5:54 PM, Stormseeker9 said:

Agreeed. Water cooling completely unnecessary for OP’s current system. 

yeah, water cooling can be risky if leak, their cooling could be worse than a giant heatsink fan but if the OP decide to move his/her pc through transport then water cool is better coz giant heatsink fan can bend and break the motherboard.