Java: Can you explain me the output?

Hip
Go to solution Solved by MrMG,
7 minutes ago, Hip said:

I coded it with a Nassi Schneidermann Diagram I got from university. And the code is 1:1 like the solution by the prof. 

I was expecting the output to be "2". Because when I put in "9" and "7" the first if loop calculates 9 - 7 = a. Shouldn't a be "2" then? But it still goes into the second if loop where b == 0, but why is b == 0 here? I thought it's "7" because I input it before to be "7". This is the part I don't understand.

Well yes, the first time it goes through the loop a becomes 2. But now a is 2 and b is 7. Both are bigger than 0 so the loop executes a second time. Here is your loop condition:

while(a > 0 && b > 0)

Now b is bigger than a so the else block gets executed which calculates b = b - a; which makes b equal 5. But a = 2 and b = 5 so the loop gets executed another time, now a = 2 and b = 3 . Now it gets executed another time a = 2 b = 1. Now a is bigger than b so a = a - b; which means now a = 1 and then b = 1 and both are still bigger than 0 so we execute the code in the while block another time which calculates b = b - a; which leads to a = 1 and b = 0. Now b is NOT bigger than 0 so the while loop ends and we go to the following if statement:

if(b == 0)
		{
			JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "a : " + a);
		}

else
		{
			JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "b: " + b);
		}

because b == 0 the message dialog shows you the value of a, which is 1.

I think you might be forgetting about the while loop, and that's what's confusing you.

Hey guys,

can you explain me why the output is "1" when I input for a = "9" and b = "7"?

import javax.swing.*;

public class Calculate
{

public static void main(String[] args)
	{

String inputA, inputB;
		int a, b;

inputA = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "a: ");
		inputB = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "b: ");

a = Integer.parseInt(inputA);
		b = Integer.parseInt(inputB);

while(a > 0 && b > 0)
		{
			if(a > b)
			{
				a = a - b;
			}

else
			{
				b = b - a;
			}
		}

if(b == 0)
		{
		}

else
		{
		}

System.exit(0);
	}
}

Thank you in advance!

Because that is what your algorithm does?

What output are you expecting here? And what are you trying to calculate with this program?

Just now, MrMG said:

Because that is what your algorithm does?

What output are you expecting here? And what are you trying to calculate with this program?

I coded it with a Nassi Schneidermann Diagram I got from university. And the code is 1:1 like the solution by the prof. 

I was expecting the output to be "2". Because when I put in "9" and "7" the first if loop calculates 9 - 7 = a. Shouldn't a be "2" then? But it still goes into the second if loop where b == 0, but why is b == 0 here? I thought it's "7" because I input it before to be "7". This is the part I don't understand.

7 minutes ago, Hip said:

Well yes, the first time it goes through the loop a becomes 2. But now a is 2 and b is 7. Both are bigger than 0 so the loop executes a second time. Here is your loop condition:

while(a > 0 && b > 0)

Now b is bigger than a so the else block gets executed which calculates b = b - a; which makes b equal 5. But a = 2 and b = 5 so the loop gets executed another time, now a = 2 and b = 3 . Now it gets executed another time a = 2 b = 1. Now a is bigger than b so a = a - b; which means now a = 1 and then b = 1 and both are still bigger than 0 so we execute the code in the while block another time which calculates b = b - a; which leads to a = 1 and b = 0. Now b is NOT bigger than 0 so the while loop ends and we go to the following if statement:

if(b == 0)
		{
		}

else
		{
		}

because b == 0 the message dialog shows you the value of a, which is 1.

I think you might be forgetting about the while loop, and that's what's confusing you.