First two RAM slots are not working

Go to solution Solved by TomvanWijnen,

Possibly an unintentionally badly seated CPU, possibly because there is more pressure on one side than on the other, causing some pins not to make proper contact. Are the pins pushed in all the way? Does it work when you lay the case horizontally? Another, careful, reseat of the CPU and cooler might help. :)

(that's really well cleaned! :D How did you do that? :P)

Hello!

Faced with the problem of RAM. My friend gave the computer for sale, I had to clean it, replace the thermal grease and prepare it (I did it a lot of times, with different computers and never encountered such a problem). After I returned everything to its place and turned it on, a cyclic reboot began. After some time, I realized that the problem is in the RAM (or with its connection with the processor). I have two 4Gb sticks, and 4 slots on the motherboard. The first two (closest to the processor) do not work. And the other two are working, the computer is working properly, but only in single-channel mode. The first two slots (DDR3_4 and DDR3_2) are channel A. After, I pulled the motherboard out of the case, removed the cooler from the processor and tried again. All slots are OK, the computer turns on in dual channel mode! But putting everything back, installing the cooler on the processor and installing the motherboard in the case, it all happened again!
What is the problem? Did someone manage to solve this problem?

PC:
CPU - i5 3570

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H (Rev. 1.1) (BIOS - F8)

RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2x4Gb (1600Mhz)

GPU - Palit Geforce GTX 650 Ti

PSU - Thermaltake Litepower 700w

OS - Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Thank you in advance!

j-M8TP2gdn4.jpg

KEIFMfFc6ro.jpg

motherboard standoffs touching the wrong places?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Possibly an unintentionally badly seated CPU, possibly because there is more pressure on one side than on the other, causing some pins not to make proper contact. Are the pins pushed in all the way? Does it work when you lay the case horizontally? Another, careful, reseat of the CPU and cooler might help. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

motherboard standoffs touching the wrong places?

No, I checked, the motherboard is in its place and does not touch anything

10 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Possibly an unintentionally badly seated CPU, possibly because there is more pressure on one side than on the other, causing some pins not to make proper contact. Are the pins pushed in all the way? Does it work when you lay the case horizontally? Another, careful, reseat of the CPU and cooler might help.

Hmm, this is a good guess, I'll try to install a cooler more carefully tomorrow morning. Maybe the problem occurs after installing the cooler.

Yes, RAM is inserted correctly.
From the horizontal location of the PC, nothing changes.

Compressed air, brushes, alcohol, lint-free wipes, vacuum cleaner with nozzle for hard-to-reach places and a little love for my work ?

3 minutes ago, MobiRulez said:

Hmm, this is a good guess, I'll try to install a cooler more carefully tomorrow morning. Maybe the problem occurs after installing the cooler.

Yes, RAM is inserted correctly.
From the horizontal location of the PC, nothing changes.

Compressed air, brushes, alcohol, lint-free wipes, vacuum cleaner with nozzle for hard-to-reach places and a little love for my work ?

Yup, I think that doing that would be a good idea. :) With "are the pins pushed in all the way", I meant the CPU cooler pins, but checking the RAM is indeed also a good idea. ;) From my own experience I know that these stock Intel coolers are easy to not have been connected properly - sometimes we are just too careful. :P

I should look some more into compressed air, brushes, alcohol, and wipes, thanks for the tips! Just cleaned my dust box of a PC yesterday, 5 years of dust in a dusty room is a fair amount... ?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

1 minute ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Yup, I think that doing that would be a good idea. :) With "are the pins pushed in all the way", I meant the CPU cooler pins, but checking the RAM is indeed also a good idea. ;) From my own experience I know that these stock Intel coolers are easy to not have been connected properly - sometimes we are just too careful. :P

I should look some more into compressed air, brushes, alcohol, and wipes, thanks for the tips! Just cleaned my dust box of a PC yesterday, 5 years of dust in a dusty room is a fair amount... ?

Thank you ?

And another small tip, buy a face mask to protect your lungs from dust.
Without it, I will not even open the case?

I tried to start it inside the case without intel cooler, and it worked! But when i install cooler back to place, that happens again. Maybe a few more times?

9 minutes ago, MobiRulez said:

I tried to start it inside the case without intel cooler, and it worked! But when i install cooler back to place, that happens again. Maybe a few more times?

:D Ensure that the cooler pins are properly pushed in, from my experience they you have to push quite far.

10 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

:D Ensure that the cooler pins are properly pushed in, from my experience they you have to push quite far.

Yes, they pushed all the way in.

I got it from the fifth attempt :)

Thank you!