Rainbow 6 High CPU and GPU usage

Bush Badger

So recently I built a PC recently and thinking that this is a mid to high end computer running rainbow 6 will be a breeze, but somehow with everything set to low i am getting high CPU and GPU usage. Is this normal or are there some settings I got to tweek because I wouldnt dare to set everything to high if my GPU is running at 70-80% load with low settings 

8700k 5GHZ

2080ti

aorus gaming 7

16gb trident z 3200mhz

RM850x

image.thumb.png.04535d38537ec50c55fc5190ee393d90.png

image.thumb.png.0f16edf11f96269c69d8a650e2319f37.png

8700k and 2080ti, is no where close to mid range, you're on the top QT.

You seem to be misunderstanding how utilization works. High CPU and GPU usage as long as you aren't getting system hangs are GOOD, it means you're getting the best out of your hardware.

CPU Utilization, if it is low, it can be because the GPU is slowing it down, it can't do as much because it keeps waiting on the GPU to finish so it can proceed.

GPU Utilization, if it is low it means it is waiting for the CPU to give it instructions.

You want both CPU and GPU utilization to be high, it shows you are getting the best out of your setup. by turning the settings up, your GPU util will probably go up, and at a point your CPU util will start to decline.

High framerates always equates to more CPU util, such as in csgo where I get 80% or higher cpu and like 20% gpu but I'm getting 400FPS maxed setting.

Turn your settings up and stop worrying about utilization. I'll bet you can get close to the same framerate on high settings.

Just now, Labeled said:

Turn your settings up and stop worrying about utilization. I'll bet you can get close to the same framerate on high settings.

My immediate thought was that you should be setting an fps limit. Unless you have a 240Hz display, you are overworking your components for no reason. Majority of the time, anything above 144Hz IMO is pointless both visually and performance-wise for the system. You can immediately improve stability and reduce utilization of both the CPU and GPU by setting a frame limit to be lower, or applying Vertical Sync.

High GPU or CPU usage is not something that I would even be worried about with your rig. I am unfamiliar with how the settings work for R6 as I have never played the game personally. However, what I am gathering from your in-game image is that you are probably bottlenecking your rig by putting the graphics settings too low. In some cases, if you place the graphics settings to lower detail, the GPU will end up being used in a less effective capacity considering your top of the line card choice, therefore your pc will offload the majority of the processing to your CPU, making it have higher utilization and in some cases run worse. This is especially true in laptops where cooling is an issue, as reducing graphics settings can make the CPU throttle due to the utilization, and actually reduce framerate even lower than when at higher graphics settings.

In other words, bump up your graphics settings and get more out of your system. And if you are still wanting lower utilization, unless you have a 240Hz monitor and can actually notice the difference between 144Hz and 240Hz refresh rate, just set a frame limit and your utilization should go down. 

3 hours ago, Churros said:

In other words, bump up your graphics settings and get more out of your system. And if you are still wanting lower utilization, unless you have a 240Hz monitor and can actually notice the difference between 144Hz and 240Hz refresh rate, just set a frame limit and your utilization should go down. 

I have a 240hz monitor so playing on 144 does make me feel sluggish. I have the FPS limited to 245 guess I will go bump the settings up in a bit

1 minute ago, Churros said:

However, what I am gathering from your in-game image is that you are probably bottlenecking your rig by putting the graphics settings too low

A good example of this, is CSGO, the game itself is a GPU bottleneck. My 2080Ti sits at very low utilization and sometimes, doesn't even run at the 3d clock speed even while getting 400+fps.

With an 8700k, and a 2080Ti, you shouldn't be starting at low settings, start at max and work your way down until you find what is comfortable.

3 hours ago, Labeled said:

A good example of this, is CSGO, the game itself is a GPU bottleneck. My 2080Ti sits at very low utilization and sometimes, doesn't even run at the 3d clock speed even while getting 400+fps.

With an 8700k, and a 2080Ti, you shouldn't be starting at low settings, start at max and work your way down until you find what is comfortable.

I honestly cant and dont care about the graphics at all. the reason why I went with a 2080ti with a 8700k is because I want stable 240fps. Right now I am struggling to get 240 stable in many games that I used to play I was just thinking about getting a 9900k before this post as I thought my CPU was at its limit. 

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this, but if you want to try to get some higher frames, your Graphics Card is sitting at a chilly 38C in that one image at 1710 MHz. You could overclock your GPU with MSI Afterburner to bump that frequency. If your CPU usage stays that high though, you might not get the full benefit of the overclock if you go through with it. In other words, in the cases where you are playing a game and the CPU isn't that high, you could easily just OC your GPU to get a little more performance. OC at your own risk friend.

3 hours ago, Churros said:

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this, but if you want to try to get some higher frames, your Graphics Card is sitting at a chilly 38C in that one image at 1710 MHz. You could overclock your GPU with MSI Afterburner to bump that frequency. If your CPU usage stays that high though, you might not get the full benefit of the overclock if you go through with it. In other words, in the cases where you are playing a game and the CPU isn't that high, you could easily just OC your GPU to get a little more performance. OC at your own risk friend.

I have a profile in my afterburner that changes the baseclock to around 2100. if i run that profile everytime when i play my games am I damaging my card?

There is a lot of information about overclocking your GPU that you can find on the internet. What I seem to live by is the fact that only people who run into problems talk about their problems with having done so on the internet. Consider the crypto-mining era of cards and their deaths; running a card at load constantly 24/7 is going to have a higher chance of damaging a card than anything else. In your and my case, just keep your fan curve where you stay in comfy temperatures and I doubt you will see any negative effects at all.

I overclock my 1070 Ti for some extra performance in my mid-gaming setup and doubt I will see any negative effects on the card in the future. Hell, my graphics card came with and MSI Afterburner disc in its packaging. If it could lead to damage easily, they wouldn't be pushing it themselves so hard.

Keep it cool with a nice fan curve, and so long as you stay within good power usage and don't see any visual distortions, you will likely be fine. Feel free to look around the internet and ask more about it though.