Help with Notebook decision - from Lenovo to Dell a good idea?

Hi folks,

I just got a new Notebook from my company and I'm not 100% happy with the device. We get new hardware every three years and its totally up to us, what we do with the devices, so we can also sell them and/or change them against other models.

The device I got is a Lenovo Thinkpad E485 with:

AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Processor 4x 2,0 GHz

Radeon Vega 8 Mobile

8GB DDR4

256GB M.2 SSD

1TB SSD

Pro: What I really like about the Notebook is that is has a USB C charging Adapter! As I'm also having a Huawei Mate 20 Pro I can travel with just one charging cable and charge everything on the fly. It's also pretty light and has a handy size.

CON: I'm really missing a touchscreen and a backlight keyboard. And the touch and feel of the book is garbage. You can feel the cheap plastic everywhere.

A friend of mine uses a DELL XPS 13" that just looks and feels amazing. Its a little more pricey I guess with the I7 and 16GB Ram. 

My idea now is maybe to sell the Lenovo and use the money to get a Dell instead. Any recommendations on how to get "the most laptop" for as cheap as possible? - I'm willing to add something on top of the price Ill get for the lenovo but I definitely don't want to double that price.

I'm open to any other recommendations on a great looking business notebook that allows me to use the time while traveling for some easy gaming ? 

43 minutes ago, The_Trail_Runner said:

And the touch and feel of the book is garbage. You can feel the cheap plastic everywhere.

Yeah the feel is nothing special but build quality is alright

43 minutes ago, The_Trail_Runner said:

I'm really missing a touchscreen and a backlight keyboard

Where are you from? Max budget? Usage? Any preference on weight, battery life and display size? Mind low sRGB display and non-upgradable RAM?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

11 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Yeah the feel is nothing special but build quality is alright

Where are you from? Max budget? Usage? Any preference on weight, battery life and display size? Mind low sRGB display and non-upgradable RAM?

I'm from Germany. Budget is to the max of 1k €. Usage is most of the time as a business notebook (MS Office, Sharepoint, PowerApps, Dynamics, Acrobat, from Time to time also Photoshop and Premiere) but within my travel times, I also like to play some games. The power of the Lenovo is enough for the games I'm playing right now but - a little more power is always welcome ;)

Weight should be in the range of the Lenovo, Display must be good as I'm using it in different light conditions. Non-upgradable RAM is ok when it has enough from stock.

Any links of online stores? No preference on display size and battery life? Prefer min 8GB or 16GB RAM?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, The_Trail_Runner said:

snip

No preference on battery life? Any links of online stores in your country that sell laptops?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

So I took some days to search what would fit my needs and came up with the Dell XPS 15 9575.. Unfortunately, it looks like there is no chance to upgrade the RAM at all!?

Just to confirm:

Your preferred weight is around 1.75kg (E485 weight)

Need a bright display

Fine with 8GB non-upgradable RAM

Fine with 15 inch

Correct?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

If just 8GB RAM upgradability would be great. Rest is fine, yes 

On 5/2/2019 at 4:20 PM, The_Trail_Runner said:

max of 1k €

USB C charging

touchscreen

a backlight keyboard

Need a bright display

Fine with 15 inch

Photoshop and Premiere

min 8 hrs

around 1.75kg

upgradable RAM

GPU vega 8 or better

So these are your requirements, are they correct? (sorry for dragging so long but I need to make sure that I recommend the right model)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 5/9/2019 at 9:24 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

So these are your requirements, are they correct? (sorry for dragging so long but I need to make sure that I recommend the right model)

Yes, that sounds great! We can upgrade the maximum price to 1.2k € if that makes a good change regarding to a 1.0k model!

On 5/16/2019 at 10:00 PM, The_Trail_Runner said:

Yes, that sounds great! We can upgrade the maximum price to 1.2k € if that makes a good change regarding to a 1.0k model!

Unfortunately I couldn't find a good model that fulfills all of your requirements. Closest one is Envy x360 13 with R5-3500U, but it has non-upgradable RAM. I suggest you to change one (or more) of these requirements:

touchscreen

need a bright display

min 8 hrs

around 1.75kg

upgradable RAM

GPU vega 8 or better

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Unfortunately I couldn't find a good model that fulfills all of your requirements. Closest one is Envy x360 13 with R5-3500U, but it has non-upgradable RAM. I suggest you to change one (or more) of these requirements:

touchscreen

need a bright display

min 8 hrs

around 1.75kg

upgradable RAM

GPU vega 8 or better

Thanks so far @GeneXiS_X. If I need to cut out requirements I would remove these two:

min 8 hrs

around 1.75kg

• 2 weeks later...

Lenovo Yoga 730 15. But no USB C charging

Desktop specs:

Spoiler