Safe overclock?

Hi all,

I have a i7-8700k running at 5GHz. It's stable at stock voltages, I haven't changed anything this time. All the voltages are on auto but they don't go crazy high so that's fine I think. I have the core clock set to variable, and in the past the core clock would just go down to like 2GHz if it was idling. But a since I changed the OC from 4.9 to 5.0 it just "stays" there. Not exactly 5GHz, it makes a few drops to like 4.7 for a second. In the spoiler is a screenshot from Aida 64 showing clock speeds and voltages. To me this all seems fine. I just want to know if this will hurt my chip in the long run? I would say no because voltages are the same or close to stock but I wouldn't consider myself an expert on overclocking... Kinda hoping someone here could tell me it it's safe to run this 24/7 (yes my computer is running 24/7) and if not is there any other option I might be able to change to get it to clock down and thus lowering voltages? 

Spoiler

image.png.a9d65925d30efd36a366742a753f822b.png

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

Those voltages are 100% safe, what temperatures though?

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

9 minutes ago, alatron978 said:

Those voltages are 100% safe, what temperatures though?

Idle temps, everything on auto. Running an Corsair i115H pro (factory thermal paste) but please take the temps with a grain of salt because I'm currently accessing my computer through remote desktop and not everything works the way it should (like iCue doesn't find my keyboard or the i115H) I feel like temps are all over the place compared to when I just use my computer. I don't think all the software is working as it is supposed to. 

Spoiler

image.png.3e86d4dca731b746ed20b1ae5e1aee24.png

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

56 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

Idle temps, everything on auto. Running an Corsair i115H pro (factory thermal paste) but please take the temps with a grain of salt because I'm currently accessing my computer through remote desktop and not everything works the way it should (like iCue doesn't find my keyboard or the i115H) I feel like temps are all over the place compared to when I just use my computer. I don't think all the software is working as it is supposed to. 

Hide contents

image.png.3e86d4dca731b746ed20b1ae5e1aee24.png

temps under full load? is it 74?

2 minutes ago, alatron978 said:

Tipped 74 while just doing stuff like YouTube etc. I'll run a quick stresstest and share the results

19 minutes ago, alatron978 said:

I don't know why, but it keeps doing this (just idling, not been using it for the whole time) It always does this, when temps spike so does cpu usage (logically) Just don't know why or what's using it. Haven't been able to figure that out yet

Spoiler

image.png.bc1d285dcd68dadabf5017a2e748eea6.png

5 minute stress test

Spoiler

image.png.c708dd939a66402f72ce11aaaf915cdc.png

Clock speeds (I know it's not maintaining the 5GHz but this is only when stress testing, as you can see outside of the stress test it's running the 5GHz no problem.) The reason it's not maintaining the 5GHz is Powerlimit, this is shown in Intel's Extreme Tuning utility.

image.png.d616c31b3bc37eea5aea96eec9660cf4.png

Overview and actual data. Temps are not getting above 78C so that should be fine. In day to day usage it never get's that high. When Gaming it's high 60's or low 70's

image.png.c0121322c41ad2f92de389ad1aa51f23.png

I hope this is at least a bit useful :) 

everything is good :)

Just now, alatron978 said:

everything is good :)

So no harm will come to my chip if this runs 24/7? 

And is there some option or tweak I can do to slowdown the clock speed? just for my own satisfaction :P 

Would it be better if I put it to static on 5GHz or could this be damaging? 

4 hours ago, Dioneyesos said:

And is there some option or tweak I can do to slowdown the clock speed? just for my own satisfaction :P 

Just to add to the good vibes... I run 5GHz at 1.32v, haven been for almost a year.  

I've used the Auto OC feature that only boosts to 5GHz on all cores when under load, and also a static 5GHz.  Either way is fine for the chip when running those temps and voltages.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Tipped 74 while just doing stuff like YouTube etc. I'll run a quick stresstest and share the results

That's pretty high for just YT.

Is your mounting pressure good?

Edit: saw your stress tests. How you are only 4c higher under full load than YT is weird to me.

Is your fan profile set to silent or something?

Maybe slow ramp up time?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

To put into perspective, I have mine at 5ghz 24/7 at 1.355v.

At idle, it's still at 5ghz but it's doing nothing and according to hwinfo, is only doing around 33w.

With a killowatt meter at the wall, at idle with my whole power strip (3 monitors + accessories) total wattage is around 140.

So at idle even at 5ghz there's not a whole lot of power going through it.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

15 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

That's pretty high for just YT.

Is your mounting pressure good?

Edit: saw your stress tests. How you are only 4c higher under full load than YT is weird to me.

Is your fan profile set to silent or something?

Maybe slow ramp up time?

yup fan curve is on silent, takes a bit before the fans start ramping up. And I might have done a little more then just YT, no gaming or anything heavy though cuz was through remote desktop and I don't know if you've ever tried it but it's not great. And that is if you can get your game to launch on a remote display adapter.

Mounting pressure should be good, with 78C I don't think there is a cooling issue if you consider what cpu is being cooled :) 

15 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

Just to add to the good vibes... I run 5GHz at 1.32v, haven been for almost a year.  

I've used the Auto OC feature that only boosts to 5GHz on all cores when under load, and also a static 5GHz.  Either way is fine for the chip when running those temps and voltages.

Okay thanks, this gives me a lot less stress. I don't care too much about because in like a year I'm going to replace it anyway but I don't want to actually ruin the chip. Might be a NAS or pc for my little brother. Might become a little paper weight, only time will tell

15 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

To put into perspective, I have mine at 5ghz 24/7 at 1.355v.

At idle, it's still at 5ghz but it's doing nothing and according to hwinfo, is only doing around 33w.

With a killowatt meter at the wall, at idle with my whole power strip (3 monitors + accessories) total wattage is around 140.

So at idle even at 5ghz there's not a whole lot of power going through it.

I'm not sure how much power mine uses. But if I'm being honest, I don't care. I know my setup (got 3 monitors and a bunch of speakers & a amp connected) will use a lot of power. But I live with my parents so I'm not the one paying for is :D Maybe when I'm a bit older and move into my own place I'll be more careful with how much power everything consumes but probably not ?