2080 or 2080 ti for my use case?

Go to solution Solved by LukeSavenije,
2 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

Why a Radeon VII? Fusion is currently capping out my CPU, not my GPU. Would a VII help with it?

you're getting 16 gigs of vram that's faster than gddr6 for the price of a 2080, how can you say no to that?

iirc you even get some better professional drive support with it

I'm looking for opinions. Assume that the AMD offerings aren't coming at all - I'll make a comparison with those when they come.

What performance difference is there between a 2080 and a 2080 ti, and would it be noticeable at my resolution and framerate with the rest of the PC in mind? Is it worth the cost hike for a 2080 ti to you? And what model (of either) would you recommend today, and why?

For background:

I'm looking to upgrade my system just a bit, I'm designing a custom case to run a 240mm and 360mm radiator in a closed loop for my iTX system.

Right now, my current PC is in my tagline. I'm not happy with the 1070, and don't think it's worth the time/money investment to put a waterblock on it. The rest of the components will be staying (unless anyone thinks otherwise).

The monitor is a 1440p 165Hz panel, and I'll only ever have the space for one of them. I'm getting 80-120 FPS in Doom, and far less in newer titles. I'm also planning on getting a VR headset at some point to upgrade from my Samsung Gear VR. I also use Autodesk Fusion...poorly...but I don't think the video card is the issue there. I also do music and want to do video work, but I know this will be more CPU bound than anything, and may need a different PC built for this.

Whichever graphics card I get, I will be putting an EK waterblock onto, as I'm sticking with all EK parts (minus the reservoir).

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

if you're doing cad and want some good gaming, especially in the future?

please get a vii

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

if you're doing cad and want some good gaming, especially in the future?

please get a vii

Why a Radeon VII? Fusion is currently capping out my CPU, not my GPU. Would a VII help with it?

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

2 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

you're getting 16 gigs of vram that's faster than gddr6 for the price of a 2080, how can you say no to that?

iirc you even get some better professional drive support with it

1 minute ago, NickPickerWI said:

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

This you have 2 factors going for you 1 16gbs of HBM2 and 2 the fact that it's pretty much a 150 instinct card.  HBM2 > GDDR6 in pro work.

So it benefits from the same thing a Quadro card offers, but with a lower cost and a card that can actually run games?

This interests me, how does it handle gaming at 1440p and >60fps?

• 1 month later...

One thing I've noticed no one mentioned is that the ti stands for titanium in the GPU.