Computer won't boot after storm - Troubleshooting

My system was fully functioning for nearly a year until about two weeks ago. There was a pretty heavy thunderstorm with a lightning strike within a few dozen yards (or meters) of my house. Since then, my system will not boot. I assumed that the storm could have damaged my power supply, and have since tried a brand new PSU to no avail. I have tried stripping the system down to CPU, 1 DIMM and NO drives to see if there were any other hardware issues. I have also tried resetting the CMOS settings by removing power and then removing the MB battery. I have yet to accomplish anything.

The only indicator I have is the blinking standby "PWR_LED" on the motherboard that was solid on when the system was functioning. It blinks on about every 3 seconds. I cannot find anything in the MB manual about what this may indicate. Also wondering what component is most likely to fail during a power surge after the PSU.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Parts listed below:

Intel i5-8600K 4.0 GHz

Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming

G.Skill Trident Z (4x8 GB) DDR4-3200

Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB

A few BarraCuda Drives

Sapphire RX 590 NITRO+

SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W (now 750 W)

You must have fried one or more of your components (CPU, mobo, RAM).

Motherboard is the most likely issue given the LED.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

I second Nocte, more than likely a fried motherboard given the LED and that replacing the PSU didn't fix the issue. Were you using a surge protector? 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Were you using a surge protector? 

I was using an IKEA power strip. It must not have surge protection. Pretty stupid of me.

2 minutes ago, Eric7696 said:

I was using an IKEA power strip. It must not have surge protection. Pretty stupid of me.

If you have satellite internet, It could be your ethernet too.(but your internet would be down and im dum)

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Iirc I don't even think most surge protectors will save you from a lightning strike

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

5 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

Iirc I don't even think most surge protectors will save you from a lightning strike

Many will but usually they are a bit more money, certainly not what you get from ikea. I use a monster power bar for my laptop and a ups for my desktop, both carry insurance to replace the product plugged into it from a lightning strike if it fails to save the product 

4 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Many will but usually they are a bit more money, certainly not what you get from ikea. I use a monster power bar for my laptop and a ups for my desktop, both carry insurance to replace the product plugged into it from a lightning strike if it fails to save the product 

I had heard the warranties are a bit sketchy on those. Never had to try for it but I did buy a 12 outlet MONSTER anyway for all my computer stuff.

My AV setup is connected to two Belkin 12 outlet surge protectors with a $300,000 warranty on each. Again though, I hear those warranties are sketchy. I guess I’ll find out if my stuff ever gets hit.

but yeah. At least have a surge protector for your stuff. Power strips are better for basic stuff like lamps, a vacuum, etc.

8 hours ago, Eric7696 said:

Ouch!  As posted above by Nocte if that motherboard is blinking then the motherboard is botched and I doubt the CPU died with it nor the RAM.  The 24pin and 8 pin PSU to motherboard boinked out, sorry for that.  See if for testing you can buy a motherboard from Fry's or Best Buy's if you have it in your location.  I rather have you do that then buy a brand new motherboard and face the same problem.  But Im very sure its only the motherboard.  Sorry again you had to go through this.  :(

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

On 4/25/2019 at 7:32 PM, Turtle Rig said:

But Im very sure its only the motherboard.  Sorry again you had to go through this.  :(

Yeah, this seems like the most likely scenario. My buddy has a very similar build. I'm going to drop my CPU and RAM into his system to ensure that those components are still functioning. Then, I will probably proceed with purchasing a new motherboard. AND a surge protector while I'm at it!

10 minutes ago, Eric7696 said:

Yeah, this seems like the most likely scenario. My buddy has a very similar build. I'm going to drop my CPU and RAM into his system to ensure that those components are still functioning. Then, I will probably proceed with purchasing a new motherboard. AND a surge protector while I'm at it!

Yes and don't get a crummy surge protector, Pay a bit more and get something nice and big and sexy and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card