Bad performance / Low FPS with RTX 2070

Hi, I used to have a GTX 970 before I purchased a new RTX 2070, but even after the upgrade, I notice that many games can't run even at 60fps on max settings, such as Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands, No Man's Sky, Cities Skylines, and some others, and even if I get 60fps, it usually is unstable going through 45-60fps maximum. I don't really understand why this is happening, since I also have an i7-4790k CPU, a new Corsair CS Series™ Modular CS850M PSU, and 14GB RAM. I also live in a desert, and usually it's pretty hot all the time, but I'm not entirely sure if this is the problem. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Have you used Display Driver Uninstaller with a full reboot cycle and driver reinstall?

1 minute ago, imbrock said:

Have you used Display Driver Uninstaller with a full reboot cycle and driver reinstall?

Haven't tried that yet, I'll do it right now.

I did what you said, but the problem continues. Is there any other solution?

46 minutes ago, imbrock said:

1 minute ago, quakeguy81 said:

Is ray tracing turned on in the games?  That will hurt FPS.

I checked the in-game settings, but there was no ray tracing option. Do I have to disable it manually through the NVIDIA control panel?

7 minutes ago, quakeguy81 said:

Not sure. I have just seen benchmarks of RTX cards with ray tracing turned on.  It almost halves the FPS. 

I just checked, ray tracing depends on the game apparently, it's not supported by all of them. I don't have it enabled.

As far as I know, vsync only limits fps to the monitor frequency (in my case, it would limit it to 60fps), but my problem is that some games don't even stay at 60fps due to fps drops, usually going around 40-60fps. I already reinstalled drivers after using DDU, and I'm not sure if reinstalling Windows is going to fix it, but I might try it as well if nothing else works. The thing is, this only happens with next-gen open-world games, even while using 1/4 VRAM of the card, but it does not happen with games such as Rainbow Six Siege, Dark Souls III, or other game of the same kind. I was thinking it could be an issue with the CPU, but I don't know how I can be sure about it.

One thing I would check is to make sure your driver isn't automatically optimizing all of your games. There is an option in the nvidia drivers to automatically do that to all games and it is super terrible.

Its a bit extreme but I've had cards not work properly before and have solved it by taking them out and re seating them in the pcie slot.

Your mention about desert heat does make me wonder what sort of temperatures and usage readings your getting on your card and cpu. I know when its in the middle of summer where I am if I'm just air cooling my devices they can thermal throttle because I have no A/C

1 minute ago, imbrock said:

One thing I would check is to make sure your driver isn't automatically optimizing all of your games. There is an option in the nvidia drivers to automatically do that to all games and it is super terrible.

Its a bit extreme but I've had cards not work properly before and have solved it by taking them out and re seating them in the pcie slot.

Your mention about desert heat does make me wonder what sort of temperatures and usage readings your getting on your card and cpu. I know when its in the middle of summer where I am if I'm just air cooling my devices they can thermal throttle because I have no A/C

I disabled automatic optimizing a long time ago, as I know it's terrible. CPU and GPU stay at 50°C idle most of the time, when its colder it goes down of course. I'll re seat the card in the PCIE slot to see if it works

I've been doing some testing and the problem continues. Everything is plugged in correctly.

27 minutes ago, quakeguy81 said:

Yeah, that FPS seems low for an RTX 2070 card. I get 80~100 FPS in GTAV with 2x msaa, all very high settings and some adv. settings turned on with my GTX 1070.  

GTA V is one of the open-world games that I've tested so far that works perfectly. It has very smooth framerate, but the other ones barely manage to stay at 60.

3 minutes ago, quakeguy81 said:

Have you tried to YT RTX 2070 benchmarks to compare performance in those games to yours? It sounds like you are running them at max settings? 

I don't run Wildlands on max settings, but benchmarks seem to have similar performance to mine. On ultra settings, it apparently even drops to 30fps, so I'm guessing it's just a game optimization problem.

32 minutes ago, quakeguy81 said:

You get what you pay for I guess.  I can't run all games at max settings, but I'm happy with the performance I get at 1080p 60 FPS. 

Thanks for the help anyway. Feels good to have people like you guys around here :)

4 hours ago, KyrusDLT said:

14GB RAM

That's an odd number, 4+4+4+2?

Try only 4+4 and make sure dual channel is working properly with CPU-Z or AIDA. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

• 3 months later...

i am having problems with my rtx 2070 aswell, in gta 5 my Cpu usage and Gpu usage never goes above 50%. used Display Driver Uninstaller and did the full reboot cycle, live in Norway so overheating isn't an issue :)
gpu: ASUS GeForce rtx2070 Dual Evo OC 
cpu: intel i7-4790k
psu : corsair 650w
ram: 16 gb hyperx fury 1866Mhz DDR3