PC crash, most likely GPU failure. Need some troubleshoot advice

Krazycatpeekin

Here is my current parts list. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JzHXGG

I was playing Apex legends last night with a twitch stream on my second monitor when my entire system just went black. Monitors, case lighting, everything stopped. I switched of my PSU i/o and back on and my mobo led lighting came back on as well as cpu cooler lights. Press power button and i get a brief flick of the light and a click near the back (which I assume is the psu) but the system won't start up. Fans do not even try to tick over. I replaced the cmos battery, switched psu off and help power button while off and tried again. Still nothing. I removed the GPU and used IGP to boot and the system starts right up with no issue but i'm now stuck using on board graphics which are useless for anything but browsing. I have also reinstalled the GPU without the pcie power connected, no picture with display plugged into the GPU but it does start fine and displays fine when using IGP. The fans on the GPU also tick and spin a little while using just the PCIe slot power, again no power attached from PSU to GPU. Anytime the power connectors are connected to the GPU, the system will not post. So, I have a few questions. First, does anyone know if this is the PSU not having power to run the card and stopping the system or is the GPU done for?  I'm assuming my GPU is fried and I will have to replace it after reading a lot of similar problems online. Second, I should be able to try it in a friends machine tomorrow to verify this but am also a little worried I may damage something in his rig such as the PSU if the card has a short or something in it. Should I be worried that this may be a possibility? Are there other options in order to test what may be the issue? My GPU is about 2 months out of warranty so I'm boned on that front. I did check the PSU while running today to see if the fan was spinning and it was not although I was under the impression that the PSU fan only runs when necessary? I would much rather replace a $100 PSU than drop several hundred on a new GPU. That being said, I've been considering a GPU upgrade for a while now and will likely spend upwards of $600 on one and have been digging through the options of RTX 2070's. It is something of a nightmare trying to discern between which manufacturer to go with but am leaning towards an EVGA XC Black or XC Black Gaming Edition although I'd like to stay closer to the $500 mark. I know this is a lot but I'm trying to make the most informed decision possible. Thanks in advance!

48 minutes ago, Krazycatpeekin said:

Anytime the power connectors are connected to the GPU, the system will not post. So, I have a few questions. First, does anyone know if this is the PSU not having power to run the card and stopping the system or is the GPU done for? 

Probably a short in a broken component. Your 970 is probably dead.

48 minutes ago, Krazycatpeekin said:

Second, I should be able to try it in a friends machine tomorrow to verify this but am also a little worried I may damage something in his rig such as the PSU if the card has a short or something in it. Should I be worried that this may be a possibility?

If your friend has a good PSU my understanding is that it SHOULD be fine and just turn off. However, this is possibly better answered by PSU gurus in the Case/psu section.

50 minutes ago, Krazycatpeekin said:

I did check the PSU while running today to see if the fan was spinning and it was not although I was under the impression that the PSU fan only runs when necessary?

You are in many cases, and definitely in yours, correct. On certain newer PSUs fans will only spin when necessary.

52 minutes ago, Krazycatpeekin said:

That being said, I've been considering a GPU upgrade for a while now and will likely spend upwards of $600 on one and have been digging through the options of RTX 2070's.

Unless you really want Ray-Tracing, a good used 1080 (or Vega 56/64) would likely cost you much less and deliver at least comparable performance. But hey, I'm a used market enthusiast and I understand that not everyone is.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

Thanks for the response! I had a feeling it was the GPU which is fine, wanted an upgrade anyways. I'll double check on my buddy's to be sure. I'll go check on the PSU forum just to make sure as well. I'm a little bit worried about the used market. I have found a few 1080 ti's in this same price range but I'm just so paranoid about getting something that doesn't work although I know to buy through a site with buy back guarantees. I don't really care for Ray tracing as the technology isn't really "there" yet. Besides, I mostly play FPS games with low settings for high FPS anyways. Ebay just scares the hell out of me lol. I looked up a lot on used mining cards and they seem to be the way to go. Most miners undervolt and keep things cool, so I'd be fine just replacing a fan if necessary. Any tips on buying used? Would much rather get the raw power of the 80ti than the safety of a brand new card. Just can't make up my mind...

7 minutes ago, Krazycatpeekin said:

Any tips on buying used?

Get a _dirt_ cheap used 480/580. Then just replace it when it breaks. It'll only be a slight upgrade for sure, but if you can find the right deals, you should be good. Just remember to buy through a site with buyer protection, yes.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

I had some sort of the same issue. Was random err_gfx_d3d_init-error. Usually on heavy cpu-gpu games. I tried second psu(ax1500i) tried single card tried downclocking cpu(5960x)from4.4 to stock' then the gpus(titan x) i had only +70core and +600vram (helped but not much) also removed my watercooling power to second psu. To see if my fans or water pumps was drawing too much. Nothing..New drivers/ previous drivers /beta drivers.Wiped old drivers ddu, Installed new windows on new ssd . Installed games on new ssd. Nothing.. waste of money. Then i noticed weird light brightness in my apartment. Hooked a wattage and voltage meter on my wall. Noticed sone drops. Huge drops under 190 volts sometimes. Purchased a 2200va ups and everything came back to normal. Zero crashes. Stable voltages. * crashes was not that often with singe gpu.* (Unnecessary information) Also had the same issues on my laptop. Underclocked gpu core and overclocked vram stopped crashing and gained 10-15 overall fps.... end