VPN server minimal hardware

Go to solution Solved by Olaf6541,

https://forum.netgate.com/topic/113508/intel-celeron-j3355b-soc-benchmarks-vpn-ips-budget-buy-performer

Get a cheap onboard CPU Soc (with AES-NI) and you're good to go. Even with Freenas on one core and pfsense with openvpn virtualized on the other I still get 60-70mbps on my j3355, just to give you an idea of what you'll need.

Hey all!

What would you say would be the minimal hardware recommendations for a personal VPN server? I'm looking to set one up in my home network to be able to access my NAS from outside the network.

And yes, I am aware, that there are other ways of doing this, but I'm trying to learn and experiment with new stuff here.

Thanks in advance!

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

How fast is your local internet and how fast do you need this VPN to be? If you're buying hardware - anything with AES-NI is going to perform really well depending on the VPN technology you use. 

https://forum.netgate.com/topic/113508/intel-celeron-j3355b-soc-benchmarks-vpn-ips-budget-buy-performer

Get a cheap onboard CPU Soc (with AES-NI) and you're good to go. Even with Freenas on one core and pfsense with openvpn virtualized on the other I still get 60-70mbps on my j3355, just to give you an idea of what you'll need.

6 hours ago, myselfolli said:

What would you say would be the minimal hardware recommendations for a personal VPN server?

A decent router or a raspberry pi.

13 hours ago, Mikensan said:

How fast is your local internet and how fast do you need this VPN to be? If you're buying hardware - anything with AES-NI is going to perform really well depending on the VPN technology you use. 

400 Mb/s, so plenty...

Sounds like VPNs for just one person aren't all that demanding, thanks  everybody!

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

5 hours ago, myselfolli said:

400 Mb/s, so plenty...

Sounds like VPNs for just one person aren't all that demanding, thanks  everybody!

This is a tall order - on a low powered AES-NI enabled board I'd expect around 100mbps per connection. If that's your target for the VPN connection, you're good to go.