Windows 10 Reactivation

Helljumper

Sooo i just swapped my mobo on my pc, and when i try to reactivate windows by troubleshooting it gives me the error message in the image below. My windows license is an upgrade license from windows 7, and microsoft support cant help me because i dont have the reciept or proof of purchase from over seven years ago.

So what im thinking is, if i swap back to my old mobo again and try to reactivate windows there, would that possibly work?

Windows recognizes that im on a different motherboard from before, so if it sees that im on the same motherboard it should be able to reactivate again, thus maybe I can find my product key of windows 10 throught there?

Any help is appreciated

Untitled.png

I think if you go to account settings and log in, it will be ok.....

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

3 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I think if you go to account settings and log in, it will be ok.....

I already am logged in, ive made no changes to my OS, it just deactivated when i swapped my motherboard

If you have an OEM version of Windows 10 (or got the free upgrade from an earlier OEM Windows version) and changed your motherboard, you may have struck what Microsoft loves to call - a significant hardware change and it'll force you either ring Microsoft and explain/beg or purchase a new license.

It's hit & miss whether this will happen to you; my son has changed motherboards and CPU's twice without issue but I have been struck by it once even though my original OEM Windows XP was upgraded to Vista and then to Windows 7 both via retail upgrades, Not wanting to wrestle with the problem again, I got a retail version of Windows 10 Pro x64 online for under 30 bucks.

19 hours ago, Helljumper said:

I already am logged in, ive made no changes to my OS, it just deactivated when i swapped my motherboard

If you go to MS account, can you see the key/activation connected to that account?

@Blai5e, if key is connected to account, it will be transferred. That was changed over year ago. Only reason why it might not be is if original key was from prebuilt.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Honestly Microsoft are taking the mick with this sort of thing... They wanted me to re-purchase Windows just because I changed my SSD!! Absolute rubbish, and their support services are a complete joke, so I'd avoid them at all costs. In the end I just bought a product key from Ebay... cost me all of £3. And, it works perfectly.

So, screw you Microshaft!