What is the best language to start with ?

Liam-Wabbit

What is the best language to start with, if you know nothing about programming ??

Python. Some people say it is a joke language, but it gives the fundamentals of syntax and readability. Actually people have done actual programs with it.

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

I hear python works well with the raspberry pie

I was told basic, but that was a while ago. I'll have a look at python :) ty

I learned on visual basic it is very easy because a lot of the commands are English and this makes it very read able. It also has lots of functionality. If you are looking to learn a language that is used in industry and one that can be used for other languages I would suggest C it is the bases of perl, C++, java and most other modern languages so ya C is rly good to know. I would suggest using the gcc compiler in Linux and gedit to write the code.

I learned on visual basic it is very easy because a lot of the commands are English and this makes it very read able. It also has lots of functionality. If you are looking to learn a language that is used in industry and one that can be used for other languages I would suggest C it is the bases of perl, C++, java and most other modern languages so ya C is rly good to know. I would suggest using the gcc compiler in Linux and gedit to write the code.
Most programming languages are in English.... Visual Basic is good for GUI development, but even then a more superior language would be C# because it uses the same framework as VB (.NET) and it also structured like a C language giving for a easier transition over.

The old forum.

Most programming languages are in English.... Visual Basic is good for GUI development, but even then a more superior language would be C# because it uses the same framework as VB (.NET) and it also structured like a C language giving for a easier transition over.

by english i meant that the language is very readable and the commands are obvious instead of say using a command like malloc to allocate memory you no?

by english i meant that the language is very readable and the commands are obvious instead of say using a command like malloc to allocate memory you no?

OOOHHHHH. Natural would have benn a better word choice.

The old forum.

OOOHHHHH. Natural would have benn a better word choice.

ya probably lol my bad

I would personally suggest learning C++ from the start. Sure, it will be slightly more challenging, but in the end it will be more beneficial. You won't ever have to worry about making the switch from a different language to C++, because you'll already be familiar with it. Languages like Python and Java are great for learning, but by learning an "easier" language, you're only hurting yourself. If I could change one thing, I would change the fact that I learned Java as my first language instead of C++.

You're going to have to make the switch sometime, so you might as well learn it to begin with and not waste your time ;)

You're going to have to make the switch sometime, so you might as well learn it to begin with and not waste your time ;)

Not if they don't use c++. :P

The old forum.

Not if they don't use c++. :P

Making a living as a C++ developer is much easier than trying to find a job writing Python. Something to consider, although if you're doing it for hobby purposes only it doesn't really matter.

Making a living as a C++ developer is much easier than trying to find a job writing Python. Something to consider, although if you're doing it for hobby purposes only it doesn't really matter.

You can also make a living as a C# or Java developer.

I just realized this is completely off topic.

*Puts train back onto track*

The old forum.

I'm a bit of a Python-fanboy myself, but I'd still suggest something like Java (or C#) for a beginner because they're more similiar to most other languages out there (C, C++, JavaScript, etc), so it should give you a broader base.

Python is awesome, but it has a pretty "unique" style.

And I don't think you should start with C or C++. Some things in those languages can be a bit of a chore (memory management, finding segfaults) or maybe confusing to beginners (pointers), which could be discouraging.

If your looking to make a living as a porgrammer, go to university lol :P and in universtiy (for me at least) they teach you C your first year and then C++/Java second year so ya there you go C or C++ :) Also like catman said if you want to learn a language dont try to learn the easiest one possible learn a soild language, maybe even do it on linux if u want to learn as much as possible (just saying)

Also no offence catman :)

I would say Delphi is a good way to start learning.

I would say Delphi is a good way to start learning.

Why Delphi

The old forum.

I agree with people that say Python becuase I do use it myself and I'm a begginer to, but codeacadamy.com is very useful

CPU: 4670K / Cooler: H100i / RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1866MHz / Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 / GPU: MSI TF 780 Gaming Edition / Case: Corsair Vengence C70 / Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo & 2TB Seagate Barracuda / PSU: EVGA SuperNova NEX750G

Python. Some people say it is a joke language, but it gives the fundamentals of syntax and readability. Actually people have done actual programs with it.

Python is an extremely powerful language and avoids difficult-to-learn syntax for new programmers. So definitely find some nice python tutorials and examples online, it's definitely more powerful than it seems. And to the 'people have done actual programs with it' part - well yeah.. the majority of web-servers running high-demand services use python recently. Facebook and Twitter rely on python a lot as web servers and to provide other services that previously PHP struggled to keep up with. Python is extremely powerful and shouldn't be put down as 'you can make actual programs sometimes'. Just saying.

Python is becoming huge and is in high demand for a wide range of jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

python is a good language for beginners  i myself started off with c++. the hardest thing is that no matter what language you start with your first language will always be hard. this is because your trying to learn the language itself as well as trying to apply it. its actual very much like learning a foreign language. but like i said pythons good or you may wanna try ruby.

Java is fairly simple, and the commands, at least to start with, are clear. It's an object oriented language so the coding is obvious, and with a good tutorial/book etc is fairly simple to grasp the roots :) 

This is my opinion, but remember, the basics are the hardest to grasp, once you get those the rest should start flowing pretty quickly, but there is a steep learning curve!

Your decision depends on your intended application. If you just want to learn a programming language then python would be good as an imperative language, or you might try clojure as an alternative and functional language.

I can't recommend Python enough. You can pick it up quickly, the syntax leads to beautifully laid-out code and there are a ton of learning resources out there (although I'd recommend CodeCademy as a starting point).