Windows 10 Network Share very slow... again....

Hello!

Since i switched to Windows 10 Enterprise as a server OS in late 2017 i keep having trouble with network shares, sometimes they work, sometimes they dont, as of know they only work partially.

I can see my Server on the Network, i can log in and i can see all my Files, however opening a folder takes forever (20+ sec) and read speeds are around 2 MB/s. Write speeds are still what i would expect (100-110 MB/s).

This Problem first turned up about six months ago after Windows forced an update onto my PC. I then also updated the server and everything was fine again. Now the same thing happened again. I updated my Server and now all clients on the Network have those problems, no matter which Windows version (even my Linux Laptop...).

I have tried the common steps (restarting, disabling and re-enabling the shares, even some registry tweaks), but nothing changed :(

Im pretty much at the end of my wisdom here, if i cant get this to work ill switch to Xpenology or even Ubuntu (i originally moved away from Linux because i wanted something that worked without me spending my weekends troubleshooting my own server... What Irony).

Does anybody have any ideas what to do?

If you need recommendations for a new printer (the ones that use paper) you can tag me, i should be able to help 🙂

I had problem with slow reading directory listing back in XP days. There was a registry entry that solve problem. After years we switch to win10 and problem starts again. I was trying to find a solution, but nothing helps. Then I think - why not, I'll try that XP solution, just for test. And, surprisingly, it works! Not if we're talking about copy file speed, but directory listing is now much faster. So try attached registry file, restart all computers you add this, and see if it helps.

speedup_v1.reg

I think we need more information. You could have a number of problems.

Let's start with the basics:

Network card model?

RAM amount? Usage?

Disk size? Is it a RAID? How much is used?

Is the server onsite? 

Switch model? Uptime? (yes, these do need to be restarted sometimes.)

CPU usage? 

Are you running AD? If so, is the file server also the AD server? If not, is the AD server onsite? Is it overloaded?

Is the file server a VM? If so, does it share the network port with any other servers?

Did you change any of the network adapter properties (large send offload, etc)? 

We are trying to make sure there are no bottlenecks.

Network Card is a Intel I350-T4

Ram: 16 GB ECC, usage bellow 2 Gigs during operation

Disk is a 6 TB Seagate Ironwolf, Server is onsite (LAN), No Raid. About 700 GB filled, but the Problem exists on all drives (even the SSD i use for stuff like Apache + MySQL)

Switch is a Netgear ProSafe, i just tried restarting it, didnt solve it :( (Was a good tip tho)

CPU Usage is around 13%, but only 2% are caused by the file Transfer according to Taskmanager.

The Server is also running Plex + Apache and even tho the content for the website is hosted on this disk i also tried turning everything off, just to be sure there wasnt some weird backround thing going on.

Server is physical, in my basement, so no shared components (well apart from stuff like the switch ofc)

I did change some network setting in previous attempts to fix the Problem but reverted back to default since non of them helped.

If you need recommendations for a new printer (the ones that use paper) you can tag me, i should be able to help 🙂

Unfortunately not :(

Let's try this:

In device manager, find your network adapter, then choose properties. Next choose the advanced tab. Disable the following settings.

• IPv4 Checksum Offload
  • Large Receive Offload
  • Large Send Offload
  • TCP Checksum Offload
  • UDP Checksum Offload

This will put more load on the CPU since the CPU will be handling portions of the network stack.