Kindly need help for purchase of gaming desktop or laptop

I have decided to buy a gaming desktop or laptop and I'm very much in doubt about which one to choose.

I don't value upgradability that much since I'm in no way competent enough to take systems apart. I prefer to just have something that works well and for a long time. I have been looking a 2 systems.

The first one is the Alienware Area 51M laptop (max version with i9 9900 CPU, 32 GB ram and RTX 2080) which I really like. I have an MSI Dominator Pro laptop from 2016. It has served me well. I love the smaller form factor.

The other system I have been contemplating is the Corsair ONE i160. I really love that machine as well because of the smaller form factor and that it has a RTX 2080 Ti in it.

My doubt stems from their gaming potential which I couldn't find much info on other than some benchmarks in 3-4 games. There wasn't any info on how these systems will hold up in the coming years. I have several questions:

1. How long will the Alienware last me - 3 years of playing all games on ultra with everything on max?

2. How long will the Corsair last me - 4-5 years of playing all games on ultra with everything on max?

3. Will both systems be able to play the following games on ultra with all settings on max?: Borderlands 3, Rage 2, Division 2, Cyberpunk 2077 (I'm mainly buying a new system to play Cyberpunk 2077 with everything on max).

Corsair: https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-ONE/corsair-one-i140-i160-config/p/CS-9020003-NA

Alienware: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/alienware-area-51m-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-17-area51m-laptop

Thank you very much for your help.

Ryan K.

bro just get the ROG mothership and i will be your, desktop as well as laptop

it*

Edited by Srijan Verma
mistake

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

8 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

bro just get the ROG mothership and i will be your desktop as well as laptop

lol, that letter was a crucial one.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

lol, that letter was a crucial one.

haha i am just gonna leave it not even gonna bother editing

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

3 hours ago, Ryan Kennedy said:

I have decided to buy a gaming desktop or laptop and I'm very much in doubt about which one to choose.

I don't value upgradability that much since I'm in no way competent enough to take systems apart. I prefer to just have something that works well and for a long time. I have been looking a 2 systems.

The first one is the Alienware Area 51M laptop (max version with i9 9900 CPU, 32 GB ram and RTX 2080) which I really like. I have an MSI Dominator Pro laptop from 2016. It has served me well. I love the smaller form factor.

The other system I have been contemplating is the Corsair ONE i160. I really love that machine as well because of the smaller form factor and that it has a RTX 2080 Ti in it.

My doubt stems from their gaming potential which I couldn't find much info on other than some benchmarks in 3-4 games. There wasn't any info on how these systems will hold up in the coming years. I have several questions:

1. How long will the Alienware last me - 3 years of playing all games on ultra with everything on max?

2. How long will the Corsair last me - 4-5 years of playing all games on ultra with everything on max?

3. Will both systems be able to play the following games on ultra with all settings on max?: Borderlands 3, Rage 2, Division 2, Cyberpunk 2077 (I'm mainly buying a new system to play Cyberpunk 2077 with everything on max).

Corsair: https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-ONE/corsair-one-i140-i160-config/p/CS-9020003-NA

Alienware: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/alienware-area-51m-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-17-area51m-laptop

Thank you very much for your help.

Ryan K.

Those 2 systems are worlds apart. The corsair is pretty much the best that money can buy right now, and yes it should allow ultra (not necessarily max though) for 4-5 years (if we're talking 1080p 60 FPS+. If we're talking 1440p I'd say 2-3 years at ultra 60 FPS, and at 4K, probably 1-2 years but not necessarily at 60 FPS. These are guesstimates).

The laptop is far less powerful for gaming and I doubt it would max out Cyberpunk 2077 while maintaining 60 FPS, although there's really no way to know at this point in time. The RTX 2060 in that laptop won't even max out Metro Exodus right now while maintaining 60 FPS. It's been shown that on the desert map, even the 1080 Ti falters at 1080p and won't maintain 60 FPS with max settings (resolution scale 100%), and it's more powerful than the 2060. So basically what I'm saying is that as it stands RIGHT NOW, that laptop won't max out games and maintain 60 FPS at 1080p.

Furthermore Dell is horrendous when it comes to support. Have a look at Linus' secret shopper series to see what happened to him. I can speak from experience that it mirrors what I've gone through with them. It's terrible.

Here's what I would do, though, because that Corsair One is VERY over-priced. I would get all the parts to build something very similar to the Corsair One and have a tech savvy friend build it for you (you might have to pay them, no more than $100, or make them dinner :P). Here's a build that matches the specs of the Corsair One, while being cheaper than it.

It's an ITX build, which means that it's about as small as the Corsair One (although not at thin). It should be highly portable and easy to move around. I'd say it's worth the savings of almost $2000 CAD. Let me know what you think!

Edit: Oh, and it's cheaper than the ROG Mothership's *rumored* price as well.