Final suggestions before I buy these parts

LTX

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

How much is a 1660 ti?

How much is a 660p 1TB?

I have an AMD cpu so I kinda want to buy an AMD GPU too, also, Im pretty sure battlefield favours amd cards more.

I heard those 660p 1tb are really slow....in a very rare case its actually slower than a hard drive

3 minutes ago, Infin1ty said:

I have an AMD cpu so I kinda want to buy an AMD GPU too, also, Im pretty sure battlefield favours amd cards more.

I heard those 660p 1tb are really slow....in a very rare case its actually slower than a hard drive

having amd cpu + amd gpu does nothing.

in BF5 1080p Ultra, 1660 ti gets ~20fps more.

660p is only slow if you write 200GB in a row, not download 200GB, but having 200GB on a diff ssd and direct transfer.

And its never slower than a spinny disk.

6 minutes ago, Infin1ty said:

I would take the MSI B450 Tomahawk (or Gaming Pro Carbon for an extra $10 over the Asus if you want wifi). 

You can save a few $$$ on the Ram if you don't mind a different colour. The Team Group 3000MHz is $109.99.

Samsung 860 QVO SSD is cheaper.

The 590 gpu isn't worth an extra $100 over a 580.

I'm the same way, I like my AMD CPU and GPU combo. Got the VII for my Ryzen build ? I love the Vega cards as well, I had the Vega 56 and 64, I would really push for one of those..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $228.93 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $169.99 @ Newegg Canada
Memory G.Skill - Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $121.99 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $169.99 @ Canada Computers
Video Card Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB PULSE Video Card $448.83 @ Amazon Canada
Case NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $107.98 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Canada Computers
Other BenQ GW 23.8-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor (GW2480) $174.99 @ Memory Express
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1542.69
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $1522.69
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-10 18:22 EDT-0400  

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

4 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

660p is only slow if you write 200GB in a row, not download 200GB, but having 200GB on a diff ssd and direct transfer.

And its never slower than a spinny disk.

This. The 660p is perfectly fine and is faster than most SSDs in most scenarios. It's just one of the slower NVMe drives..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

10 minutes ago, Infin1ty said:

You're in the loophole confusion I found myself in. Realistically, you won't need more than a SATA SSD, but I won't try to convince you otherwise, since idk exactly how heavy your workload is. NVMe offers zero performance difference to SATA in gaming. 

I have the RX 580 8GB, and given the chance to go again, would consider the 1660Ti in price to performance. It's a pretty low cost, sexy GPU for only $ more. Fire is giving you solid advice. My advice would be never to spend more on a drive than on your CPU.

2 minutes ago, Infin1ty said:

no real point in that

also you can fit a 2070 in that budget

5 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

You're in the loophole confusion I found myself in. Realistically, you won't need more than a SATA SSD, but I won't try to convince you otherwise, since idk exactly how heavy your workload is. NVMe offers zero performance difference to SATA in gaming. 

I have the RX 580 8GB, and given the chance to go again, might consider the 1660Ti in price to performance. It's a pretty low cost, sexy GPU for only $ more. Fire is giving you solid advice. My advice would be never to spend more on a drive than on your CPU.

The 860 EVO the OP chose is SATA, it's just M2 form factor to eliminate unnecessary wires.. What Firewrath is saying is that a 660p is better than what he selected and might be around the same price point, or cheaper since they've been on sale for a while now..

And the thing about storage costing more than CPU doesn't make any sense.. Storage is storage and sometimes you need a lot. Not everyone does, but I can't stand seeing my drives fill up. That said, an NVMe drive is not at all necessary and doesn't offer any performance improvement in general computing tasks or gaming..

13 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

The 860 EVO the OP chose is SATA, it's just M2 form factor to eliminate unnecessary wires.. What Firewrath is saying is that a 660p is better than what he selected and might be around the same price point, or cheaper since they've been on sale for a while now..

And the thing about storage costing more than CPU doesn't make any sense.. Storage is storage and sometimes you need a lot. Not everyone does, but I can't stand seeing my drives fill up. That said, an NVMe drive is not at all necessary and doesn't offer any performance improvement in general computing tasks and gaming..

My mistake, I assumed for the price point we were looking at NVMe. In my eyes, $200 had better buy a whole lot of drive, and despite the quality on the 860 EVO's I don't see 1TB as remotely feasible at the price point, especially since OP is in an ATX Mid case. 

This is subjective, so take it as you will, but a 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD would be a good chunk of the cost difference between a 2600 and a 2700x currently. IMO on a workload PC, that is a pretty nasty upgrade when compared to two Solid States and how fast they can transfer files. 

Just now, trevb0t said:

My mistake, I assumed for the price point we were looking at NVMe. In my eyes, $200 had better buy a whole lot of drive, and despite the quality on the 860 EVO's I don't see 1TB as remotely feasible at the price point, especially since OP is in an ATX Mid case. 

This is subjective, so take it as you will, but a 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD would be a good chunk of the cost difference between a 2600 and a 2700x currently. IMO on a workload PC, that is a pretty nasty upgrade when compared to two Solid States and how fast they can transfer files. 

my workload is pretty light, I'm not going to be pushing this 2600 to its limit anyways, and my 60hz monitor means I dont really need that powerful of a gpu as im only playing older titles anyways

2 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

I agree. Completely subjective. If you need the cores then I can see why.. If you're not maxing out a 2600 then there's just not much benefit in buying a 2700X over more storage..

3 minutes ago, Infin1ty said:

my workload is pretty light, I'm not going to be pushing this 2600 to its limit anyways, and my 60hz monitor means I dont really need that powerful of a gpu as im only playing older titles anyways

I'd just grab a hefty 2.5" SSD of a nice brand (I like Crucial for their reliabilty vs price). M.2 is pretty sexy tech, but it's not any faster if it's not NVMe, and in an ATX Mid case, you're bound to have some space to put a regular hard drive. Savings, ya bish!

4 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

I agree. Completely subjective. If you need the cores then I can see why.. If you're not maxing out a 2600 then there's just not much benefit in buying a 2700X over more storage..

The question isn't more storage though. It's how sleek the storage looks... It's $75 CA less for a Crucial or Western Digital Blue in 2.5"

You can spend more if you wanna. It's just not any smarter spending. 

1 minute ago, trevb0t said:

The question isn't more storage though. It's how sleek the storage looks... It's $75 CA less for a Crucial or Western Digital Blue in 2.5"

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07J2Q4SWZ/?tag=pcp0f-20

is this drive any good?

2 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

I'm totally on your side with form factor pricing.. I'm only speaking on quantity, since that's how I took your first reply.. I guess that's my fault lol. I would never buy an M2 SATA unless the pricing was the same as the 2.5" counterpart that I wanted. I don't waste my M2 ports on SATA anyway (B450 you really don't have a choice, though..)..

6 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

GeForce GTX 1660 Ti XC Black GAMING 6GB

this is the short version....is there a performance difference between the short and normal version?

4 minutes ago, Infin1ty said:

Better/faster than SATA. Pricing isn't that bad at all.. I would grab one at that price.. That's actually cheaper than the last the 1TB SATA 2.5" drive that I bought..

Just now, Infin1ty said:

In short and long: Yes.

For the price point: Crucial delivers mid range products for low range cost. I've got 3 Crucial SSD's without any problems. This is also NVMe which is a faster technology than SATA (great for file transfers, rendering, encoding, etc.) 

Some will say this is inferior to a WD Black or an EVO variant, but for your purposes, this is a pretty rad drive IMO (especially at the price point).

7 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

I'm totally on your side with form factor pricing.. I'm only speaking on quantity, since that's how I took your first reply.. I guess that's my fault lol. I would never buy an M2 SATA unless the pricing was the same as the 2.5" counterpart that I wanted. I don't waste my M2 ports on SATA anyway (B450 you really don't have a choice, though..)..

Ah I see. I initially thought he was fronting for NVMe on the build (which is great parts, but appears to be on a working man's budget.) So I was warning that the cost for that tech would not be great gains for the cost. I agree that a 1TB SSD is worth more than a 500MB SSD :P

If space is needed, though a 240-500GB SSD for your OS and your hefty games is great and a big ole HDD for the files isn't a bad idea either.

3 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Ah I see. I initially thought he was fronting for NVMe on the build (which is great parts, but appears to be on a working man's budget.) So I was warning that the cost for that tech would not be great gains for the cost. I agree that a 1TB SSD is worth more than a 500MB SSD :P

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Infin1ty/saved/6tVtgs

alright thats the final build, everything is from amazon except for monitor and motherboard. Amazon has really good customer service and im a prime member so I prefer that. The motherboard is really pricey on amazon and they no longer sell that monitor so I have to buy elsewhere.

is there any major compatibility issues? bottlenecks? 

15 minutes ago, Infin1ty said:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Infin1ty/saved/6tVtgs

alright thats the final build, everything is from amazon except for monitor and motherboard. Amazon has really good customer service and im a prime member so I prefer that. The motherboard is really pricey on amazon and they no longer sell that monitor so I have to buy elsewhere.

is there any major compatibility issues? bottlenecks? 

None that I see. When looking to the MOBO tier list: Your MOBO appears to be on the same tier as the ASRock B450 Pro 4 (Which is about bottom line for solid power delivery / cooling . On PCPartpicker CA, the Pro 4 is only $88 CA after a rebate.) Another potential savings there in similar price to performance if you're interested. 

That said, the TOMAHAWK is a pretty nasty B450 board (for VRM performance) that this forum frequently recommends and is about the same price or even possibly less.

Tomahawk: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Hy97YJ/msi-b450-tomahawk-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk

(MATX) Pro 4: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/dQgzK8/asrock-b450m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro4

MOBO Tier List: 

@LukeSavenije any thoughts to share on this particular battle of MOBOs?

3 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

None that I see. When looking to the MOBO tier list: Your MOBO appears to be on the same tier as the ASRock B450 Pro 4 (Which is about bottom line for solid power delivery / cooling . On PCPartpicker CA, the Pro 4 is only $88 CA after a rebate.) Another potential savings there in similar price to performance if you're interested. 

That said, the TOMAHAWK is a pretty nasty B450 board that this forum frequently recommends and is about the same price or even possibly less.

Tomahawk: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Hy97YJ/msi-b450-tomahawk-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk

(MATX) Pro 4: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/dQgzK8/asrock-b450m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro4

MOBO Tier List: 

sounds good, its actually $30 dollars cheaper for the MSI, so I'll go with that

2 minutes ago, Infin1ty said:

sounds good, its actually $30 dollars cheaper for the MSI, so I'll go with that

Do it up, man! Your machine will be a slice of awesome!