Ram clock speed matter for game servers?

Using spare parts, I built a home server to host a couple game servers. Specifically Space Engineers and Minecraft. Right now it is using 10GB (2x4gb 1x2gb) of DDR3 ram running at 1333Mhz and an older i3 dual core running at 3.7Ghz. I am transferring the pc over to a rack mounted case and was instead wanting to replace the motherboard/cpu with an even older LGA 1155 motherboard with a quad core i7 2600 running at 3.8Ghz.

I believe the quad core is obviously a better choice, but in regards to RAM, I've been thinking of purchasing two 8GB sticks running at 1600Mhz, and replacing the 10GB with it. Does the RAM clockspeed really matter or should I save the money and just get 16GB 1333Mhz?

I am more than happy to hear any suggestions at all about the build! I'm a bit new to the "server scene"

Yeah. The higher clock speed the better. Would you be playing many of these games at once?

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

3 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Yeah. The higher clock speed the better. Would you be playing many of these games at once?

We'll have multiple people on each server. I think I've noticed lag spikes when one server is rendering while others are on another server. Not 100% confident that is the correlation, but best explanation I've seen. Even then it's very minor.

Just now, Spaceman_Wil said:

We'll have multiple people on each server. I think I've noticed lag spikes when one server is rendering while others are on another server. Not 100% confident that is the correlation, but best explanation I've seen. Even then it's very minor.

Also i've found minecraft win 10 edition is much better than java MC

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

1 minute ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

Well if it lags then its a CPU core bottleneck. Minecraft servers benefit cores because it needs to render different chunks at once, where more cores thrives.

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

4 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Well if it lags then its a CPU core bottleneck. Minecraft servers benefit cores because it needs to render different chunks at once, where more cores thrives.

Oh interesting, I didn't realize it was utilizing more than one core. Interesting. In some linus videos, I've seen them use a couple Xeons as a cheap alternative. Would that be better than the i7? I know Space Engineers being a single core run server, benefits from the speed of the i7 or i3

Just now, Spaceman_Wil said:

Oh interesting, I didn't realize it was utilizing more than one core. Interesting. In some linus videos, I've seen them use a couple Xeons as a cheap alternative. Would that be better than the i7?

yeah. a dual core is good for one person but many would need more cores. How many people that play at once can vary your core needs.

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

7 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

yeah. a dual core is good for one person but many would need more cores. How many people that play at once can vary your core needs.

In an effort to find a cheap alternative, I came across a Intel Xeon W3565 running at 3.2Ghz. Would a pair of these be better than the i7 2600? It's sacrificing a bit of clock speed

10 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Well it looks like I can only run one at a time with the Xeon W3565

1 hour ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

Would a pair of these be better than the i7 2600?

I just looked it up and it says on intels website that it only works in a single CPU config. If you got a modern system with a core I5 8400, You would have 6 cores @ 6 threads on the cheap. (or go Ryzen)

(Welcome to LTT Forums)