Crash to Black Screen When Trying to Render Videos

Vyndorialan

Just a quick preface: my computer crashes to a black screen, no BSOD. Even so I made sure there weren't any dumps I could upload so I checked C:/Windows/minidumps and nothing was there. I did, however get a perfmon report for good measure and have attached it. Also, my computer was overclocked for the first crash, but every subsequent crash, it was not overclocked.

Background: I'm a freelancer that works for a lawyer in town and as part of my job I have to do some light video editing. It's as simple as cutting up some excess footage and synchronizing audio with the video. Recently, I decided it was time to dust out my PC (self-built) and re-apply thermal compound. I then re-assembled my computer and a couple weeks later had a video to edit. I get the video cut up just fine (I use Adobe Premiere Pro) but when I go to render it in HEVC my entire computer crashes to a black screen, no BSOD or anything. It sounds as if the PC is still running, but there is nothing being displayed and all of my peripherals are powered off.

The Troubleshooting Process:
After my computer crashed using HEVC I attempted to render with H.264 and just had Adobe Media Encoder crash, not my entire system. After that, I tried with just a standard MPEG2 render, which finally finished the job. First, I attempted to render to DNx and then to ProRes 422. Both were successful over repeated test renders. I tried to monitor both CPU and GPU temps while the render was occurring, but everything would crash before I could get any useful readings and when rendering to codecs that were successful, nothing seemed out of place. My CPU never ran over 65 C and my GPU never ran over 40 C. I then checked the Windows Reliability History and saw that a .dll file from a program I downloaded for a different project kept crashing right around the times of my renders, so I did everything I could to get rid of it, which took as a complete hard drive wipe to finally rid it from my system, only for the crashes to continue. I then performed a memory check, with no errors found and finally resorted to taking individual sticks of RAM out and seeing if something was wrong with them. The first time, I was finally able to fully render an HEVC video. Then, I switched the RAM stick but used the same slot, which resulted in a crash, which I thought confirmed my theory but I wanted to perform further tests. I inserted both sticks into the B channel slots, which resulted in a crash, as I expected. Then I put what I thought was the working stick in to the slot where I previously had what I thought was the not-working stick just to make sure it wasn't a problem with the RAM slot. This resulted in a crash, which made me worried that in addition to a RAM replacement, I'd also have to replace my motherboard, which would put a bind on me financially. However, I put what I thought was the working stick back in what I thought was the working slot (the slot that worked when I removed the first RAM stick and got my first successful HEVC render) and that again, resulted in a crash after my test render. Thinking I must have mixed up my RAM, I switched the sticks out in the same slot and performed another test render. This again resulted in a crash.

Conclusion:

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing the crashes. My computer is able to perform perfectly fine under seemingly every circumstance except for rendering specifically to HEVC codecs or H.264 codecs. Both of which I need for my job, as I don't have the storage space to keep more than a couple DNx renders or ProRes renders.

PC Specs:

Operating System: Windows 10

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800x

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i (not sure if that matters)

Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero

GPU: Nvidia 1070

RAM: 2x 8GB sticks of Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3000Hz

PSU: 1000W Coolmax 80 plus bronze certified (I know it's overkill for what I have, but I got a really good deal on it several years back)

Perfmon Report.html

What software are you using?

Edit for context: I have a 1700x with GTX 1070. Using Davinci Resolve, I found that some rendering types just didn't play well with my CPU for some reason. It wasn't hardware fault it's more codec standard from what I understand. I'm not really fluent in video encoding and such, but knowing what software you're using will help.

48 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

What software are you using?

Edit for context: I have a 1700x with GTX 1070. Using Davinci Resolve, I found that some rendering types just didn't play well with my CPU for some reason. It wasn't hardware fault it's more codec standard from what I understand. I'm not really fluent in video encoding and such, but knowing what software you're using will help.

Sorry, I should've included that in my original post. I edit with Premier Pro and encode with Adobe Media Encoder