Extender or Adapter?

EnderCat

Hey so I don't have very good wifi at all cuz I'm upstairs from the router and I've got this wifi adapter, and I've got about $23 on Amazon for a wifi solution. My question is: Should I get an extender or a new adapter? I've seen plenty of extenders for around $23 that I could get or I could look for a $23 adapter and try my luck with the range. Now I know there's gonna be at least one purson who's gonna just say like "Get a massive Cat6 cable and run it to your room" but I live with 5 other people so running a loose cable all the way up the stairs isn't an option, and trying to route it through the walls or on the outside of the house would cost a lot more and be more destructive than I think I'd be allowed to do. Also, what extender or adapter should I get for that range?

Powerline adapters, they'll solve all your problems

Though if you wanted to stay wireless I'd look at one of Ubiquiti's AP's

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

Powerline adapters, they'll solve all your problems

Though if you wanted to stay wireless I'd look at one of Ubiquiti's AP's

1 are powerline adapters that cheap? Also, 2 aren't they kinda iffy if you live in a place where a lot of people are using power at different random times and stuff?

4 minutes ago, EnderCat said:

1 are powerline adapters that cheap? Also, 2 aren't they kinda iffy if you live in a place where a lot of people are using power at different random times and stuff?

I've installed powerline adapters in a bunch of different houses and places with no problem, my buddies house is massive, they have a 5 person family and he's never had a problem.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

I've installed powerline adapters in a bunch of different houses and places with no problem, my buddies house is massive, they have a 5 person family and he's never had a problem.

Both of those options are quite a bit more than $23 though, I'm sorry just I don't get money often and that's all I'd be able to use

Just now, EnderCat said:

Both of those options are quite a bit more than $23 though, I'm sorry just I don't get money often and that's all I'd be able to use

True,

Though you should be able to find a powerline adapter kit on eBay for around your budget

Just now, Slottr said:

True,

Though you should be able to find a powerline adapter kit on eBay for around your budget

I said amazon cuz I'm using $23 I got from a refund so it can only be used on there. I'm sorry I'm being difficult

Just now, EnderCat said:

I said amazon cuz I'm using $23 I got from a refund so it can only be used on there. I'm sorry I'm being difficult

lol no I think it's me and just not being able to read haha

Honestly, I think your best bet (now that I've read everything) is to save up just a tad more. Though if you need a solution NOW then grab a cheap AP and hope it works well

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

lol no I think it's me and just not being able to read haha

Honestly, I think your best bet (now that I've read everything) is to save up just a tad more. Though if you need a solution NOW then grab a cheap AP and hope it works well

Also real quick since you seem to know what you're talking about, is a PoE injector the same thing as a powerline adapter? I know it might seem like a really dumb question but I just found this $25 PoE injector and I'm confused if there's a differance

6 minutes ago, EnderCat said:

Also real quick since you seem to know what you're talking about, is a PoE injector the same thing as a powerline adapter? I know it might seem like a really dumb question but I just found this $25 PoE injector and I'm confused if there's a differance

No, this device "injects" power over ethernet, it doesnt perform the same task as powerline adapters

6 hours ago, EnderCat said:

kinda iffy if you live in

They are iffy if your wiring is old. Also distance between adapters does play a little in to it from what I have read. I dont own any myself but thats due to the fact I know it wont work on the old ass wiring I have. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.