Crossfire R9 290 Overclocking

Hello, 

I recently completed a build Project BLU V in which I used two reference R9 290's from sapphire overclocked and watercooled, after completing the build, naturally I proceeded to benchmark the system, everything went flawlessly until I got to 3D Mark. 

3D Mark ran and bench'd no issues until I got to test out different overclocks, funnily I was getting very odd results, it seems that the R9 290 likes to play at certain clocks and once you go over those clocks the performance starts to degrade.

For example:

@Stock 947 by 1250 

Firestrike X8031

@OC 1100 by 1300

Firestrike X9060

@OC 1130 by 1350

Firestrike X9190

@OC 1135 by 1350

Firestrike X9134

@OC 1200 by 1400

Firestrike X8730

I would also like to mention that the cards were all running at +50 PowerTune by +100mv Core and at no time did the clocks dip nor did the GPU ever go above 52C.

CPU and Ram were consistent as control. @4.0 GHZ and @2400MHZ CL10 respectively.

Thank you.

Try overclocking your CPU further and see if that helps. Better yet, post the graphics score only and not the combined score.

I also managed to get the cpu to 4.6 Ghz but it was getting too hot, still the same issue with the GPU. 

I also benchmarked a few games:

Tomb Raider

Arkham Origins

Same scenario. Best Performance @11301342e Mhz Core by 1475Mhz Mem. even though my maximum clocks were @1225 Mhz by 1575 Mhz.

Anyone else with R9 290's to bench?