Lapped Amd Ryzen

Did anyone tried to lap a Ryzen?

Any improvement thermally on your side?

Saw Gamers Nexus attempt & thinking of doing this...

Tq in advance.

Edited by EricStar
add more info

15 minutes ago, EricStar said:

lap a Ryzen?

You reffering to delidding?

Essentially its pointless as Ryzen uses a rather good solder method. The temp gains are minimal and the risk in doing so is rather large due to the solder. 

They do delidd solder CPUs when doing extreme overclocking. 

Nah, not delidding. Its lapping. Its basically sand papering the IHS till you reach the copper layer and I do know that Ryzen cant be delidded... Delidding it basically destroys it except Ryzen G2200 & G2400 which uses paste..?

Just now, PacketMan said:

Well I don't know, it's a CPU mod so it's always a bit risky

Gamers Nexus did a video a while ago and IIRC it was an improvement

But you can just add liquid metal, it's not like you would struggle with temps anyway

Yeah I did saw his video, but he did it with a G2200. 
When the 3rd gen ryzen is available, I am gonna retire my R1600. Don't think its worth much in the 2nd hand market, so I am thinking of Lapping it and do any other crazy stuff with this. ?

We can't apply liquid metal on aluminium based surface as it might corrode over time. But after lapping I might put liquid metal on the exposed copper surface with an AIO copper base surface pump. Thanks for this idea ?.

But coming back to the main question, just curious whether anyone did this? ?

43 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Well I don't know, it's a CPU mod so it's always a bit risky

Gamers Nexus did a video a while ago and IIRC it was an improvement

But you can just add liquid metal, it's not like you would struggle with temps anyway

No, the Mod isn't risky, if you know what to do. You "only" lose the Warranty and everything written on the CPU.

Though I'd get a dead board and hacksaw the Socket Out of that to have something to secure the pins and have something to hold the CPU a bit better...

1 hour ago, EricStar said:

Did anyone tried to lap a Ryzen?

Any improvement thermally on your side?

Saw Gamers Nexus attempt & thinking of doing this...

Tq in advance.

I didn't do that but obviously it does improve the temps a bit more because less uneveness and more metal on metal contact.

Looks like people don't know that lapping = sanding with very fine Sand Paper...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Sanding/lapping gives the best improvements if the IHS isn't level, has bumps causing uneven contact with the CPU cooler causing some areas of the die to run hotter than others.

If there's a big Delta in temps between different cores then lapping might help. Line up a straight razor blade on the top of the IHS and use the straight edge to see if the surface on the IHS is level or if there are bumps.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450