100% Disk Usage Win10 for no reason

Kryotix

I have a 2017 Lenovo Legion Y520-IKBM laptop. In task manager, sometimes the disk is at 100% even though there is nothing to make it go to 100% usage. Usually it's some background microsoft app using 0.1 MB/s. I've tried so many "fixes" from all around the internet and the problem still persists. I've seen it push itself to 150 MB/s sometimes but as soon as it hits 100% disk usage everything comes down to a grinding halt, and the usage will stay at 100% for quite some time. On Lenovo's website there are no hard drive drivers (?) to be seen (or I am just extremely blind). I must also mention that it has a 2TB 5400rpm hard drive. Thanks in advance!

Thats windows 10 on a HDD for you, it just does that afaik

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Windows 10 has a tendency to get 100% usage on HDD's more so on startup 

Do i Recommend Ryzen? Yes. All of the Yes.

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

ASUS Gaming TUF B450 Micro-ATX

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Corsair Crystal 280X

500Gb SanDisk Sata SSD, 1Tb 7200RPM Hdd

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Thats windows 10 on a HDD for you, it just does that afaik

2 minutes ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

Windows 10 has a tendency to get 100% usage on HDD's more so on startup 

Thank you for the bumps, boys! I am aware that Windows 10 likes to be fussy, especially with crappy hard-drives, but I want some actual fixes/ideas. I don't have the money to spend on a SSD right now, so I'm looking for a fix before I will eventually buy one.

windows 10 bootup on HDD's does that, something to do with the AV scanner and updates or some shit, you NEED AN SSD BOOT DRIVE FOR WINDOWS 10!!!!! ANYONE that says otherwise is full of shit. I had a 6700k over clocked to 4.5 Ghz that took 2 minutes to boot while a G4560 booted in the time it took me to walk to the couch and turn around (and i'm not even fucking joking a complete computer that cost LESS then my CPU was booting orders of magnitude faster), the difference, SSD vs HDD.

2 minutes ago, Kryotix said:

Thank you for the bumps, boys! I am aware that Windows 10 likes to be fussy, especially with crappy hard-drives, but I want some actual fixes/ideas. I don't have the money to spend on a SSD right now, so I'm looking for a fix before I will eventually buy one.

you can try these https://whatsabyte.com/windows/fix-100-disk-usage-windows-10/

6 minutes ago, Kryotix said:

There's not much you can do, you could try turning some stuff off on boot up but otherwise get an ssd, you can get a 120gb ssd for like $20 usd they are really cheap now

Do i Recommend Ryzen? Yes. All of the Yes.

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

ASUS Gaming TUF B450 Micro-ATX

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Corsair Crystal 280X

500Gb SanDisk Sata SSD, 1Tb 7200RPM Hdd

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

12 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

I've already tried all of those out.

9 minutes ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

There's not much you can do, you could try turning some stuff off on boot up but otherwise get an ssd, you can get a 120gb ssd for like $20 usd they are really cheap now

The thing is, boot up is fine, it takes like 10 seconds or less sometimes. It just likes to jump up to 100% for no reason at all.

21 minutes ago, Kryotix said:

The fix is to purchase an SSD and install Windows on it for your boot drive. I understand you don't have the money for this right now, so just keep saving up. The only other solution to try is a completely clean install of Windows, however, please note that ALL LAPTOPS I have ever used, sold to clients, or otherwise repaired since Windows 8 came out suffer from 100% disk use from time to time due to all the little API disk calls these newer OS's have to make compared to Windows 7 and older. Even MacOS chugs along if you don't have an SSD boot drive these days, so save save save, then replace the HDD with an SSD and you'll be set.

1 minute ago, Kryotix said:

I've already tried all of those out.

The thing is, boot up is fine, it takes like 10 seconds or less sometimes. It just likes to jump up to 100% for no reason at all.

It's not for no reason, it's background maintenance that Windows does to prevent issues down the road, as well as updates. Ever wonder why people don't have to defrag anymore? Because Windows does this on a daily basis to keep things running cleanly. It also has to deal with all the API calls that modern applications make these days too - software has advanced, but HDD's have not, and in most laptops they're not even 7200rpm, which means most people have to deal with the sluggish 5400rpm drive on top of all this.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

11 minutes ago, kirashi said:

The fix is to purchase an SSD and install Windows on it for your boot drive. I understand you don't have the money for this right now, so just keep saving up. The only other solution to try is a completely clean install of Windows, however, please note that ALL LAPTOPS I have ever used, sold to clients, or otherwise repaired since Windows 8 came out suffer from 100% disk use from time to time due to all the little API disk calls these newer OS's have to make compared to Windows 7 and older. Even MacOS chugs along if you don't have an SSD boot drive these days, so save save save, then replace the HDD with an SSD and you'll be set.

It's not for no reason, it's background maintenance that Windows does to prevent issues down the road, as well as updates. Ever wonder why people don't have to defrag anymore? Because Windows does this on a daily basis to keep things running cleanly. It also has to deal with all the API calls that modern applications make these days too - software has advanced, but HDD's have not, and in most laptops they're not even 7200rpm, which means most people have to deal with the sluggish 5400rpm drive on top of all this.

First of all, thank you so much for kindly explaining this to me.

Second of all, if I were to upgrade to a SSD, I would keep this hard drive as a mass storage device. That means moving over all of my important stuff into another partition so I can safely remove the OS from the hard drive. That's what I'm preparing for at the moment. I have 200 GB of Steam files that need to get moved to D drive, and it's become a desperate situation because as soon as I tell Windows to move the files from C drive to D, it goes up in speed, but as soon as task manager shows 100% it just goes down in speed until it flatlines. 

Is there any temporary fix for this or do I have to leave my laptop running overnight (I have done that and it barely moved 100GB) ?

1 minute ago, Kryotix said:

First of all, thank you so much for kindly explaining this to me.

Second of all, if I were to upgrade to a SSD, I would keep this hard drive as a mass storage device. That means moving over all of my important stuff into another partition so I can safely remove the OS from the hard drive. That's what I'm preparing for at the moment. I have 200 GB of Steam files that need to get moved to D drive, and it's become a desperate situation because as soon as I tell Windows to move the files from C drive to D, it goes up in speed, but as soon as task manager shows 100% it just goes down in speed until it flatlines. 

Is there any temporary fix for this or do I have to leave my laptop running overnight (I have done that and it barely moved 100GB) ?

my process for Windows 10 Home (not Pro due to Bitlocker Encryption, but you could disable that) REMOVE the HDD from the machine, Install SSD, Install Windows on SSD, reinstall HDD, do a "Take Ownership" of contents in the User Folder on the HDD repath User folders for Documents, Downloads, Desktop and all those to your old User folders on the HDD, Delete the Windows folder from the HDD, no need to partition the HDD and moves files from 1 spot on the drive to another.

7 minutes ago, Kryotix said:

and it's become a desperate situation because as soon as I tell Windows to move the files from C drive to D, it goes up in speed, but as soon as task manager shows 100% it just goes down in speed until it flatlines. 

Um.... yes, the temporary fix is to not instruct the computer to do something that would max out the hard drive while you're using it... you know, like telling it to copy mass quantities of files to other partitions on the same disk. Not trying to sound rude here but... like, if you're slamming on your car brakes, causing undo wear and tear on the pads & rotors, the fix is to simply stop slamming on your brakes... and instead brake normally.

If you need to copy that many files on any drive, even an SSD, I recommend running such file copy operations overnight.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)