Note 8 vs OnePlus 6T

Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

Do you need/want to use the S-Pen with it's note-features? ---> Note 8

Otherwise, Oneplus 6T in my Opinion. Reasons below:

- better SoC, even better than Note 9's Exynos version (Europe. NA has snapdragon) --> better performance. Not just because of the SoC, also because of OxygenOS. Optimized for Speed.

- Newer = still faster/better Updates, and it WILL get Android 10 AND Android 11. Note 8 will probably get Android 9 as it's last Update.

- Better battery Life.

- Alert Slider

- MUCH better Fingerprint sensor placement. Even on the Back, that's one of the worst placings ever. 6T has it on the Front, and the speed isn't really worse. Samsung doesn't use the best Sensors on the market anyway so... Others are faster.

Note 8 should absolutely be cheaper than Oneplus 6T, because if it's age. 6T is still the MSRP 549€ for the base model, while Note 8 is available for 399€. That difference is fine. 

Note 8 still has some things going for it:

- SD Slot expansion (irrelevant, because 6T has 128 or 256gb. I doubt, this isn't enough for you :P

- Qi Charging (i have a Desk Lamp with integrated Qi charging field. Used it a few times on my S7 Edge, but kept using Cable, was way more convenient to use. I much rather ha ve Oneplus' "Warp charge" over Samsung's 15w charging or Qi.

- official IP68 rating (Oneplus 6T is protected, just not official to save money)

- Headphone Jack

- no Notch (Teardrop Notch > Bezel anytime)

- sharper Screen

- S-Pen, and other Samsung Features. (but no more Major updates after Pie)

- There is a chance, it might slow down after 1-2 years, like many Samsung users have it. My S7 Edge had the same issue, it never felt as fast as on release again. Factory Reset didn't help, so junk files were not the problem. Might be placebo, but yea.

I personally chosed Oneplus 6T (previous: Galaxy S7 Edge for 31 Months) over Note 8, over Galaxy S9(+), and of course over the Note 9 (since the latter 2 were more expensive anyway). But i still wouldn't trade it even for a Galaxy S9+, probably also not for a Note 9.

Probably would trade it for a P30 pro lol.

Hello everyone,

The two phones are at the same price at the moment, which is about as much money as I want to give for a phone.

Which one is a better choice? A nice camera would be a nice to have but I am more concerned with battery life and functionality

note 8 is great, use it myself and the experience is excellent. Very long battery life. Wireless charging is neat too, there are some decently cheap qi devices.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I have the 6T so i may be a little biased, but I love the UI and the android skin, lots of people that review it say Oxygen OS is the cleanest version of android, but also has lots of functionality. For battery life the 6T will be a little better because it has 3300mah vs the 6T's 3700mah (although no wireless charging on the 6T :( ). For camera they will be very close in quality. They both have amazing cameras.

hi

- better SoC, even better than Note 9's Exynos version (Europe. NA has snapdragon) --> better performance. Not just because of the SoC, also because of OxygenOS. Optimized for Speed.

- Newer = still faster/better Updates, and it WILL get Android 10 AND Android 11. Note 8 will probably get Android 9 as it's last Update.

- Better battery Life.

- Alert Slider

- MUCH better Fingerprint sensor placement. Even on the Back, that's one of the worst placings ever. 6T has it on the Front, and the speed isn't really worse. Samsung doesn't use the best Sensors on the market anyway so... Others are faster.

Note 8 should absolutely be cheaper than Oneplus 6T, because if it's age. 6T is still the MSRP 549€ for the base model, while Note 8 is available for 399€. That difference is fine. 

- SD Slot expansion (irrelevant, because 6T has 128 or 256gb. I doubt, this isn't enough for you :P

- Qi Charging (i have a Desk Lamp with integrated Qi charging field. Used it a few times on my S7 Edge, but kept using Cable, was way more convenient to use. I much rather ha ve Oneplus' "Warp charge" over Samsung's 15w charging or Qi.

- official IP68 rating (Oneplus 6T is protected, just not official to save money)

- Headphone Jack

- sharper Screen

- There is a chance, it might slow down after 1-2 years, like many Samsung users have it. My S7 Edge had the same issue, it never felt as fast as on release again. Factory Reset didn't help, so junk files were not the problem. Might be placebo, but yea.

I personally chosed Oneplus 6T (previous: Galaxy S7 Edge for 31 Months) over Note 8, over Galaxy S9(+), and of course over the Note 9 (since the latter 2 were more expensive anyway). But i still wouldn't trade it even for a Galaxy S9+, probably also not for a Note 9.

14 hours ago, Darkseth said:

- Better battery Life.

- Alert Slider

- Headphone Jack

- sharper Screen

Thanks for the answer in detail, I might get the 6T

15 hours ago, fasauceome said:

note 8 is great, use it myself and the experience is excellent. Very long battery life. Wireless charging is neat too, there are some decently cheap qi devices.

I've heard of the note 8 having battery issues and going downhill after a while, might get the 6T. 
How is yours holding up battery and performance wise?

15 hours ago, germgoatz said:

I have the 6T so i may be a little biased, but I love the UI and the android skin, lots of people that review it say Oxygen OS is the cleanest version of android, but also has lots of functionality. For battery life the 6T will be a little better because it has 3300mah vs the 6T's 3700mah (although no wireless charging on the 6T :( ). For camera they will be very close in quality. They both have amazing cameras.

Thanks for the reply, think I might get the 6T

4 hours ago, ShatteredPsycho said:

I've heard of the note 8 having battery issues and going downhill after a while, might get the 6T. 
How is yours holding up battery and performance wise?

Having no issues almost a year in

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad