IPS VS TN - Is 1ms vs 4ms really noticeable?

webguy

Hi.  I am trying to decide between two monitors.  One is a 27" 1440p 165hz 1ms tn monitor and the next is a 27" 1440p 165hz 4ms ips monitor.  I have read online that some say that the difference is not noticeable and then there are those that say it is.  I am looking for a few more opinions before I pick one to buy hopefully this week.  Also is ips blb a big issue?  The IPS I am looking at is a asus rog PG279Q.  Does anyone have experience with blb in asus rog ips monitors?  Is blb noticeable when gaming in fps games like apex legends?  There is an acer predator 27" 1440p 144hz ips monitor that is $100.00 less.  Which brand do you prefer?  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What do you need IPS for? 

OP might just like it more.

I know I definitely prefer looking at IPS for longer periods of time than TN.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What do you need IPS for? 

Thank you.  I was originally pretty set on getting a tn panel but reviews and people on forums have been saying that ips is way better for color etc.  I do care more about performance than color though and I will be sitting right in front of it so I am not really worried about viewing angles.  Do you think tn is better then for competitive fps games?

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

OP might just like it more.

I know I definitely prefer looking at IPS for longer periods of time than TN.

Thank you.  My gaming sessions are likely to be 8+ hours at a time.  I do play mostly competitive fps games though and I care more about performance than pretty colors.  Do you think ips is better than tn in that use?

Just now, webguy said:

Thank you.  My gaming sessions are likely to be 8+ hours at a time.  I do play mostly competitive fps games though and I care more about performance than pretty colors.  Do you think ips is better than tn in that use?

I play somewhat competitively and casually for long sessions, I've noticed IPS is much more pleasant to look at for longer periods of time. I also haven't had that many problems with response time(my monitor is 6ms), even though I know that I can definitely do better(and probably will in the future).

That said, there aren't too many 100+Hz IPS panels, so for the highest end of competitive displays, you're most likely looking at VA(which is like a mix of IPS and TN as far as colors go).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

VA(which is like a mix of IPS and TN as far as colors go).

This is definitely the route I'd say to go- 

VA panels are cheaper and have less response time. Colours are much better from TN.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

In my opinion, having played on 1ms, 5ms, an 11ms and a tv that was like 25-30ms, I didn't REALLY notice/feel a difference between 1-5ms (I play fps, rts and moba games semi-competitively, but I'm no 1% top tier pro in any). I suspect it's kinda like the difference between 16 and 24-bit .flac for audio files in that people will always say that one is better, but only a tiny handful of people can actually tell.

When I was trying to, I definitely started to notice with 11ms but it was tolerable. The 25-30ms television was constantly irritatingly noticeable input lag.

Specs
i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz w/ H100i AIO
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

Acer XB241H bmipr 24" 1920x1080p 180hz monitor
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8qQJWD

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

12 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I play somewhat competitively and casually for long sessions, I've noticed IPS is much more pleasant to look at for longer periods of time. I also haven't had that many problems with response time(my monitor is 6ms), even though I know that I can definitely do better(and probably will in the future).

That said, there aren't too many 100+Hz IPS panels, so for the highest end of competitive displays, you're most likely looking at VA(which is like a mix of IPS and TN as far as colors go).

Thank you for the information.  That is helpful to know.

12 hours ago, Slottr said:

This is definitely the route I'd say to go- 

VA panels are cheaper and have less response time. Colours are much better from TN.

Thank you.  I think I want either tn for performance or ips for both performance and the color.  I have read bad reviews on va panels.

9 hours ago, lightning_po said:

In my opinion, having played on 1ms, 5ms, an 11ms and a tv that was like 25-30ms, I didn't REALLY notice/feel a difference between 1-5ms (I play fps, rts and moba games semi-competitively, but I'm no 1% top tier pro in any). I suspect it's kinda like the difference between 16 and 24-bit .flac for audio files in that people will always say that one is better, but only a tiny handful of people can actually tell.

When I was trying to, I definitely started to notice with 11ms but it was tolerable. The 25-30ms television was constantly irritatingly noticeable input lag.

Thank you.  This is very helpful.  I think the difference between 1ms and 4ms is not enough to be a big deal.

19 minutes ago, webguy said:

r.  I have read bad reviews on va panels

I've got a VA panel on my MX34VQ and it works great. No ghosting, decent colour.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P