Security Camera issue.

Ravenbear

( I hope this is the right place for this topic) I live in a remote area so I have a security system that as part of it has wireless IP cameras.  And I have an issue that I am not able to pin down.

My daughter got a MacBook Air for her birthday, and anytime she turns it on my camera video feed goes down and when it is off it comes back online. The cameras are still connected to the network ( they have a static IP) but no videos feed and the software shows them as disconnected I have tried different software and it is the same.  I am really at a loss as to what the issue is. I really do not want to buy new cameras if I can help it. And seeing as the MacBook is from her grandparents it is staying. So, if anyone has any idea how to resolve the issue I would greatly appreciate it.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

I am guessing this isn’t a power issue so it’s not “turned on” but connected to your Wi-fi that’s causing the issue.

I am also assuming it’s connecting to the same Wi-fi as the camera.

First test is to connect it to the network via a wire. If the issue goes away then your halfway there. If plugging it in via Ethernet and turning off the Wi-fi works is saying it another way.

I am also assuming that it cannot stay wire connected.

So how about buying a separate router or a new router with the option for multiple networks?

All of this isn’t pinning down the issue but simply trying to live with it and put in a workaround solution.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

1 minute ago, NineEyeRon said:

I am guessing this isn’t a power issue so it’s not “turned on” but connected to your Wi-fi that’s causing the issue.

I am also assuming it’s connecting to the same Wi-fi as the camera.

First test is to connect it to the network via a wire. If the issue goes away then your halfway there. If plugging it in via Ethernet and turning off the Wi-fi works is saying it another way.

I am also assuming that it cannot stay wire connected.

So how about buying a separate router or a new router with the option for multiple networks?

All of this isn’t pinning down the issue but simply trying to live with it and put in a workaround solution.

You are correct on all of that. I will hardwire one and see what happens and will look into a simple router just for them.  My apologies for not giving you more information.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

3 minutes ago, Ravenbear said:

You are correct on all of that. I will hardwire one and see what happens and will look into a simple router just for them.  My apologies for not giving you more information.

That’s fine, it’s hard to think of it all.

Which is why it’s good to state assumptions, so you, the OP, can challenge them.

try setting her macbook to a static ip thats different than the cameras. 

could be a conflict 

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

4 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

try setting her macbook to a static ip thats different than the cameras. 

could be a conflict 

A simple but obvious solution!

I like setting static IPs for certain things, maybe do it for the cameras if just the Mac doesn’t work

7 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

A simple but obvious solution!

I like setting static IPs for certain things, maybe do it for the cameras if just the Mac doesn’t work

yea the cameras should have a static IP already, just makes things easier.

its possible that if its not setup right, (just assigning the IP instead of using dhcp reservation) then dhcp will try to assign the computer an IP thats already in use.

always use dhcp reservation through the router instead of just setting things.  fixes so many issues.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

11 hours ago, Tsuki said:

yea the cameras should have a static IP already, just makes things easier.

its possible that if its not setup right, (just assigning the IP instead of using dhcp reservation) then dhcp will try to assign the computer an IP thats already in use.

always use dhcp reservation through the router instead of just setting things.  fixes so many issues.

The cameras have a static IP I will set her Macbook up with one tomorrow. I'll let you know how that worked.  Thanks