Dying CPU?

Marnex

Hi,

Recently my CPU started acting up, while under load it lags. For example: I'm watching youtube and opening another program --> it'll make the audio sound like static and make my cursor stutter.

The CPU has been overclocked in the past, from 3.4GHz to 4.0GHz, and I downclocked it back to standard after it started appearing... it got less bad but still there.

My guess is that it might be dying since it's not the newest CPU

Any idea?

48 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Are you sure this is a CPU issue?

It could be due to your hard drive, RAM, even the Windows installation itself... would need to test those before singling out the CPU as the cause of this. 

Pretty sure it isn't ram since I had the issue with 2 seperate ram sticks.

As for hard drive and windows, it's an SSD with a new windows install (reinstalled it because I suspected it to be windows).

I can test another hard drive just to be sure tho

Get a USB with a Linux distro like Ubuntu. Boot it and test it and see if the problems is still there. Have you tried with a different browser like Firefox/Chrome? Same problem on both?

Problem with local media to, like in VLC?

Doesn't have to be the CPU, the MB is more likely at fault. It is very unusual for a CPU to go bad/degrade so much that it is noticeable.

Moved to Troubleshooting. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

3 hours ago, Alexsolo said:

If you reset the BIOS to factory defaults (remove overclock completely) do the issues go away?

Just reset my BIOS and tested around. Appears to have stopped, which seems weird since settings should've been on default.

25 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Get a USB with a Linux distro like Ubuntu. Boot it and test it and see if the problems is still there. Have you tried with a different browser like Firefox/Chrome? Same problem on both?

Problem with local media to, like in VLC?

Doesn't have to be the CPU, the MB is more likely at fault. It is very unusual for a CPU to go bad/degrade so much that it is noticeable.

The issue was also in Linux, as I have a dual boot. Appears to have been BIOS as I said above

If the problems remain when for example running Ubuntu as @Mattias Edeslatt suggests I would suspect the motherboard.

A faulty PCI-E or memory controller on the motherboard often cause really weird things like audio static, stutter and so on.

Also, a faulty PSU can cause things like this, especially under heavy load with a perhaps somewhat weak PSU.

Hope it helps!

Edit: So it was an easy fix then, that's great! :)

15 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Mark my post as the solution (checkmark under my post), so others can reference it in the future if need be. Glad I was able to help!

Will do, was doing some more testing to make sure it worked.

Thanks though! ?