"Optimal" pump speeds

Hola mi amigos!

What do you guys think is the "optimal" pump speed on liquid pumps? Should the pump be on max for a consitent speed and optimal cooling or should it be toned down for less wear or just auto where it adjust the speed accordingly to the cpu/water temp?

Greetings!

13 minutes ago, Lukas Dolk said:

Hola mi amigos!

What do you guys think is the "optimal" pump speed on liquid pumps? Should the pump be on max for a consitent speed and optimal cooling or should it be toned down for less wear or just auto where it adjust the speed accordingly to the cpu/water temp?

Greetings!

The old rule of thumb was you want to be pumping 1l/hr, personally I just go off noise and usage, ie if i'm gaming pump is on full, if i'm watching a film its on low.

Kinda depends on the setup and your preferences. If you're picky about noise, I would find a setting that works for you and leave it there. Even though D5's and DDC's are pretty dang quiet as they are, there are often speeds that will resonate with your case or that your ear will be more sensitive to that can be annoying if the speed auto adjusts and just happens to settle in that RPM range. For example,  my 2 D5's are effectively silent at 70%, but i can hear them at 50%. 

Pump speeds will affect temps to a certain extent, but as long as you don't have an extremely low flowrate due to having several blocks/rads/90 degree fittings, I wouldn't worry about it too awful much. Just find a setting at 50% or higher and set it and forget it imo. 

I have mine set to 100% only because hardline tubing and a D5 with the speed on the bottom.

I clean my pump out every 2 years, provided your loop isn't getting hot and you dont run it with no liquid in the pump you are safe with the bearings.

Running your loop hot or the pump with just air will kill it, i dont believe flow rate will kill it, if you had your flow rate too low maybe heat will kill it.

at high flow rates yes vibration is annoying you can use foam to dampen that i have a small piece cutout between where i bolt it to my case that stops vibrations.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo