Phone Recommendation

Redrooster

Alright, so I have a Galaxy S7 at the moment and i am fine with. It comes with all the features i need and it runs well. I wouldn't be considering an upgrade if it supported 5g. I was just wondering if there are any phones coming out now that either dont have a front facing camera, or its one of those pop up selfie cams (I never use the front facing camera, so all it does is take up screen space), 5g capability, and i cant tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p on my s7 (them pixels are too dense) so i wouldnt mind it if it only had a 1080p screen. Is there anything on the market that has my wants?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

First, what's your budget?

And secondly, you want a 1080p screen and no selfie cam?

Just now, Homelessscootalo said:

First, what's your budget?

And secondly, you want a 1080p screen and no selfie cam?

I don't care about the screen resolution that much, i play my YouTube vids in 720p and that is usually fine on my phone. I would prefer it if my next phone had a hidden front facing cam (or none at all). And my price is flexible, although i don't want to spend more money that I have to.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

2 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

Alright, so I have a Galaxy S7 at the moment and i am fine with

s7 is still very good, (using s7 edge). Do you want a larger screen?

Lg v30 & samsung s8+ both have wide front camera, they are very affordable right now

4 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

Alright, so I have a Galaxy S7 at the moment and i am fine with. It comes with all the features i need and it runs well. I wouldn't be considering an upgrade if it supported 5g. I was just wondering if there are any phones coming out now that either dont have a front facing camera, or its one of those pop up selfie cams (I never use the front facing camera, so all it does is take up screen space), 5g capability, and i cant tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p on my s7 (them pixels are too dense) so i wouldnt mind it if it only had a 1080p screen. Is there anything on the market that has my wants?

5G is a gimmick today.

First of all, 5G is not officially standardized, and has flaws that needs to be dealt with. China is rushing to it because they like to show the image that they are super advanced.

The reality of things, is that we still don't have proper 4G. Let's work on getting that first.

In order to get 5G, actual 5G, you need to have a mobile station (antenna + equipment) at every light post on the street, pointing down on the street. How you hold the phone will also interfere with the wireless signal, and hence why you need a series of antenna around your phone to try and compensate.

So, as you can see, this not realistic... the reality of things is that I expect to get closer to 4G full implementation, and it will be called "5G".

Well I'm not sure which phones lack a self-cam, I think maybe some random Chinese brands offer a pure faced phone but you'd best google for them. Personally i wouldn't mind if they went away altogether, i don't care for selfies.

Anyway, what is your issue with your current phone if honestly it sounds like you want a downgrade. Is it the battery life?

24 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

I don't care about the screen resolution that much, i play my YouTube vids in 720p and that is usually fine on my phone. I would prefer it if my next phone had a hidden front facing cam (or none at all). And my price is flexible, although i don't want to spend more money that I have to.

So why do you want 5G?

To be clear, everything is backward compatible. When your phone connects to your mobile service operator network, it first connect to Edge (2G), then 3G, then HSPA, then on 4G, then on 4G LTE... (LTE can be seen as: better implementation of 4G. and it is still not full). So, your phone will always work fine if you have "5G" service.

If you wonder why your phone connects to all these network services, and not drop, well, it is for coverage. Rural areas, or middle of nowhere, you want to have an attempt to get some coverage. Edge/2G will handle just fine SMSs and phone calls. Great for emergencies or no internet. I guess, one way to see things is 2G is like AM/Short wave on the radio.. its crap, but the distance is long. 1G was dropped as this was analogue signal, and hence why early phones where so massive.

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So why do you want 5G?

To be clear, everything is backward compatible. When your phone connects to your mobile service operator, it first connect to Edge (2G), then 3G, then HSPA/3.5G, then on 4G, then on 4G LTE / 4.5G.

I'm assuming he wants 5G because he streams his vids over LTE. I wonder why he wouldn't use WiFi instead.

4 minutes ago, Homelessscootalo said:

I'm assuming he wants 5G because he streams his vids over LTE. I wonder why he wouldn't use WiFi instead.

But he said he streams 720p.... that should be fairly fast.

And if its not due its location (say: rural area... or poor coverage for whatever reason) then 5G won't help, as it won't be there in any case. 5G is hugely expensive. China does it, because the gov is paying all of it.

I mean assuming he only has HSPA, he should get ~30Mbps, which is plenty for 1080p YouTube. Technically 4K YouTube, but packet latency might be more of an issue.

10 minutes ago, Homelessscootalo said:

Unlimited data, and I'm at uni a lot. Uni wifi is trash and public.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

But he said he streams 720p.... that should be fairly fast.

And if its not due its location (say: rural area... or poor coverage for whatever reason) then 5G won't help, as it won't be there in any case. 5G is hugely expensive. China does it, because the gov is paying all of it.

I mean assuming he only has HSPA, he should get ~30Mbps, which is plenty for 1080p YouTube. Technically 4K YouTube, but packet latency might be more of an issue.

I go on websites a lot (i would love faster load times) and i do occasionally watch vids in 1440p 60fps if im super invested in the content.

4 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

Even worse. You think your university will add 5G relay signal boosters?

Here is one for a few cellphones, for a home setup.. not a place with a mass number of cellphones

https://www.repeaterstore.com/products/hi-boost-home-15k-lcd-f20g-5s-lcd

(price in US. don't forget installation cost)

If they can't get more Wireless Access points and better routers, they can't get cellphone signal boosters

27 minutes ago, Homelessscootalo said:

Well I'm not sure which phones lack a self-cam, I think maybe some random Chinese brands offer a pure faced phone but you'd best google for them. Personally i wouldn't mind if they went away altogether, i don't care for selfies.

Anyway, what is your issue with your current phone if honestly it sounds like you want a downgrade. Is it the battery life?

I just would like more screen tbh, and front cameras that i dont use get in the way. Also 5g just sounds exciting, even if its not a big jump

3 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

I go on websites a lot (i would love faster load times) and i do occasionally watch vids in 1440p 60fps if im super invested in the content.

Sounds like your phone is not powerful enough, or weak 4G/LTE signal or poor service from carrier.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Even worse. You think your university will add 5G relay signal booster?

Here is one for a few cellphones:

https://www.repeaterstore.com/products/hi-boost-home-15k-lcd-f20g-5s-lcd

(price in US)

I don't use my phone in class, I was just trying to point out that Im not around Wi-Fi much. I'm usually hanging around uni when i use my phone, I'm also on the road a good bit.

6 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

Aha! yes, now I recall. In the you US you have """Unlimited Data""", where you have a certain amount under 4G/LTE, but after you pass this limit, it drops you to something ridiculously low like 3G.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Sounds like your phone is not powerful enough, or weak 4G/LTE signal or poor service from carrier.

Im rocking a S7 Edge and i (usually get 4/5 bars of Verizon 4g lte) I would just like the ability to have faster internet if not now, later.

Honestly I would suggest the Note 9...

The top bezel is solid and the screen is large and of course the antennas are among the newest so I'd hope your data reception would be a lot better than the S7.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Aha! yes, now I recall. In the you US you have """Unlimited Data""", where you have a certain amount under 4G/LTE, but after you pass this limit, it drops you to something ridiculously low like 3G.

Only in "high traffic" times (usually when everyone is going to work, or getting off work 8-9am to 4-5pm. Ever other time of the day its pretty good

6 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

Only in "high traffic" times (usually when everyone is going to work, or getting off work 8-9am to 4-5pm. Ever other time of the day its pretty good

Run SpeedTest and see what you get.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Run SpeedTest and see what you get.

12 Mbps up 15 Mbps down

25 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

12 Mbps up 15 Mbps down

Well there you go... Your mobile operator is the issue. Not 4G/LTE.

You should be getting:

70-100 Mbps Download

20-50Mbps Upload

This is what I get with 3 out of 5 bars:

wp_ss_20190327_0003.thumb.png.e44dda449d0898b467febfa5e7b2e6ef.png

Phone (2015): Windows 10 Mobile - Lumia 950 XL  - Snapdragon 810 - 3GB of RAM

And no it has nothing special. Reviews at the time even slam the phone for not having great modem drivers and being slower than your phone, I recall.

So yea, save your money. Don't buy a new phone for 5G, it won't help.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Well there you go... Your mobile operator is the issue. Not 4G/LTE.

You should be getting:

70-100 Mbps Download

20-50Mbps Upload

This is what I get with 3 out of 5 bars:

wp_ss_20190327_0003.thumb.png.e44dda449d0898b467febfa5e7b2e6ef.png

Phone (2015): Windows 10 Mobile - Lumia 950 XL  - Snapdragon 810 - 3GB of RAM

And no it has nothing special. Reviews at the time even slam the phone for not having great modem drivers and being slower than your phone, I recall.

So yea, save your money. Don't buy a new phone for 5G, it won't help.

So what you're telling me is... American mobile data is really shity even if you're paying for the "good" stuff...