Mix and Match Ram

Go to solution Solved by 2SidedPolygon,

Yeah, also make sure they're using the same memory chip and have the same number of ranks though (The rank thing more so if they're running on a different channel, but still preferable to have it the same). The capacity also doesn't necessarily have to be the same but they probably won't need more than 16GB anyway.

Hello sorry for the super simple noob question but i have an old system that im buffing up a little for a friend, currently it has 8gb of ddr3 patriot viper xtreme ram at 1366mhz, i could use another brand of ram as long as the capacity and the speed match correct?

Current: CPU: Intel i7-8700k. Mobo: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5. RAM: 16gb G Skill Trident Z RGB. GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super.

First: CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.5GHz. Mobo: Asus ROG crosshair V formula-Z. RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper XTreme. GPU: Asus Radeon 7950.

Yeah, also make sure they're using the same memory chip and have the same number of ranks though (The rank thing more so if they're running on a different channel, but still preferable to have it the same). The capacity also doesn't necessarily have to be the same but they probably won't need more than 16GB anyway.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

1 minute ago, 2SidedPolygon said:

thanks man

Current: CPU: Intel i7-8700k. Mobo: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5. RAM: 16gb G Skill Trident Z RGB. GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super.

First: CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.5GHz. Mobo: Asus ROG crosshair V formula-Z. RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper XTreme. GPU: Asus Radeon 7950.