Desktop PC Randomly Restarts

LauBalos

Hi,

I'm having an issue with a replacement desktop Dell sent me. The PC restarts randomly regardless of what I'm doing or what screen I'm on (i.e.: Browsing, at the login screen, updating drivers). When I checked what happened, I get "Event ID 41." Here are the specs in case you need them: 

Name: Inspiron 5680

CPU: i5-8400

RAM: 8GB DDR4

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 1060

Storage: (1) 1TB  HDD connected via 6Gb/s SATA, (1) 256GB SSD connected via 6Gb/s SATA

PSU: 460W max

Thanks to anyone that can help me.

It might be a weak power supply issue. Does the screen go blank and restart, or does it show something before it dies, i.e. a BSOD?

1 minute ago, Solid_Snake3 said:

It might be a weak power supply issue. Does the screen go blank and restart, or does it show something before it dies, i.e. a BSOD?

The screen goes blank

1 minute ago, LauBalos said:

The screen goes blank

Sounds like it could be a dying motherboard or PSU, I'm leaning on that PSU personally. It could also possibly be power issues with your house, since you said Dell already replaced something in your build.

Well I had another desktop and sent it in for repair 4 times. The issue was that it didn't wake up from sleep, it never restarted like this one throughout the whole year when I had it. What wattage power supply do you recommend?

2 minutes ago, LauBalos said:

Well I had another desktop and sent it in for repair 4 times. The issue was that it didn't wake up from sleep, it never restarted like this one throughout the whole year when I had it. What wattage power supply do you recommend?

I'd say get a 500W one, as I have an i7 and a GTX 1080 running on one. Corsair's a pretty solid brand, as I've used their CX500 for the past almost 6 years with no issues, but evga is also a good option.

first thing I'd do is reseat the RAM and GPU and reconnect power connectors. Then do a memtest. Then work from there trying to eliminating other possibilities (CPU, GPU). If those turn out fine then it could actually be the mobo or the psu.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile