Indoor OTA antenna questions.

Donut417

I recently purchased a 4 tuner HD homerun. About fucking time if you ask me. I repurposed my haswell based gaming laptop as a Plex server. When my antenna was connected directly to my TV I would for the most part get all the stations fine, though channel 31.1(ION) and Channel 62.1(CBS) would occasionally have issues. Now Im having issues with channels 2.1 and 4.1, saying weak signal. I have this antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RFLXE0A/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 though an older version I bought in 2016. 

According to the FCC: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps, my channels at least the ones I care about come out of Detroit and one out of Ann Arbor, but I think the transmitter might actually be in Detroit as well. Any who, any ideas for things I could try? One of my concerns the the Coax for the antenna is thin, which I wonder if there is come loss. Also Ive heard that in some cases Amplifiers can cause issues, but Im no expert. Searching on Channel Masters website leaves me with more questions.  Pre Amp, AMP, LTE Filters, etc. And my antenna is on the second floor of the house on the North Facing wall. So about 25 feet or so above ground. 

I know indoor antennas are not the best, but I CANT do an outdoor unit. 

A) Not allowed to put holes in siding or Roof

B) Only Coax leading to inside the house is used by Comcast HSI. 

C) Only Coax leading to my room is used by internet. 

D) House not wired for Ethernet. 

On a side note it based on the FCC website, T Mobile should have 600 Mhz turned on by 2020 in my area. Cool beans. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

23 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I recently purchased a 4 tuner HD homerun. About fucking time if you ask me. I repurposed my haswell based gaming laptop as a Plex server. When my antenna was connected directly to my TV I would for the most part get all the stations fine, though channel 31.1(ION) and Channel 62.1(CBS) would occasionally have issues. Now Im having issues with channels 2.1 and 4.1, saying weak signal. I have this antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RFLXE0A/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 though an older version I bought in 2016. 

According to the FCC: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps, my channels at least the ones I care about come out of Detroit and one out of Ann Arbor, but I think the transmitter might actually be in Detroit as well. Any who, any ideas for things I could try? One of my concerns the the Coax for the antenna is thin, which I wonder if there is come loss. Also Ive heard that in some cases Amplifiers can cause issues, but Im no expert. Searching on Channel Masters website leaves me with more questions.  Pre Amp, AMP, LTE Filters, etc. And my antenna is on the second floor of the house on the North Facing wall. So about 25 feet or so above ground. 

I know indoor antennas are not the best, but I CANT do an outdoor unit. 

A) Not allowed to put holes in siding or Roof

B) Only Coax leading to inside the house is used by Comcast HSI. 

C) Only Coax leading to my room is used by internet. 

D) House not wired for Ethernet. 

On a side note it based on the FCC website, T Mobile should have 600 Mhz turned on by 2020 in my area. Cool beans. 

Did some more research. Seems I get good signal to the HD Home Run, looks like an issue with Plex and Fire Sticks. Not surprised, my mom has had numerous issues with her Fire Stick, I wonder if the boxes are any better, or Roku boxes, instead of these sticks. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have an indoor antenna and have been through this.

You may want to look at getting an indoor antenna amplifier to clean up that signal. Indoor antennas can be great but they aren't perfect.

I like the Winegard LNA-100 model. Really strong performance. It cleans up a lot of digital noise and signal drop issues.

There are similar amplifiers you can get for cheaper (even in like the $10-$15 range).