Is now a good time to upgrade my laptop?

I'm new to LTT forum so hopefully this isn't already been already discussed.

I'm in need of a new laptop big time but I find it hard to justify some of the price tags on machines like the XPS 15 considering the boat load of new Nvidia GPU's that have been announced and starting to make their way into laptops over the past month or so. The way I see it right now is I should either hold off and wait for some of the new GPU's like the 1660 or 2060 (or any other newly announced cards) to become an option OR wait for (what I expect to see) a price drop in current model laptops that have last-gen cards (like the 1050).

Is it appropriate to feel like right now (and for the next couple months) I'd be missing out on either the latest tech or on possible savings if I were to make a move and upgrade now?
I understand that no-matter when you buy there is always going to be something better just around the corner but considering that GPU generations seem to be a 2-3 year period before a new generation is announced that it seem like it might be worth holding off for (assuming that I'll start to see more laptops with the new gen of Nvidia GPU's in the next couple months).

LONG QUESTION MADE SHORT: Is now a bad time to upgrade my laptop with the new gen of GPU's making their way into the consumer laptop market over the new couple months?

*ADDITIONAL INFO*

I just finished my 2nd year of computer engineering and when I started uni I knew heck-all about computers and bought a Surface pro 3 (it's on its last leg now) and have had so much trouble with it I don't know if I can consider a Surface product again. Currently the only machine that I've come across that is of interest to me (and is easily available in Canada) is the Dell XPS 15. I don't really game, mostly app dev, some graphics rendering stuff (currently can't do much of anything on my surface), some hobby-level CAD work (again can't do much on my sp3). I'm looking to keep the price tag under $2000 CAD before tax. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks guys!

Xps 15 is good, doubt there will be mobile gpu advancements. The new 1650 looks like a 1050 ti with a minor freq boost (both have 768 cuda cores)

I would buy now and get an XPS 15

Server 1:  CPU: i3 2100T  SSD: 840EVO MOBO: DQ67OW NIC: i340 -T4

Server 2:  CPU: Pentium D  MOBO: Dell Dimension 5150

Switch 1: Netgear GS108

Switch 2: Cisco 3500

5 hours ago, GirthyStone said:

Is now a bad time to upgrade my laptop with the new gen of GPU's making their way into the consumer laptop market over the new couple months?

If you need a laptop now, buy now don't wait

XPS 15 has many issues

Are you from US? Preferred min battery life and max weight?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Don't expect a huge price drop on a desirable model. Manufacturers have time to sell their current stock before releasing new models.

Don't expect a huge performance jump with the new mobile GPU's. The mobile market has pretty much hit a brick wall with thermals. The new rtx cards are even performing vastly different between models.

Get what you need when you need it. No matter how long you wait the second you take it home it is out of date.