Ryzen OR Threadripper?

Hello,

I am currently looking to get a new system purely for 3D sculpting in Zbrush and Keyshot / Arnold rendering.

Currently my plan is to get the following:

CPU Threadripper TR4 - 2950X  -  16 C  /  32 T

DDR4 - G.Skill   3400 - 8 x 8GB (64 GB Rams)- F4-3400C16D-16GSXW

Mobo Phantom Gaming 6

However, Ryzen 9 - 3850X also comes with 16 C  /  32 T if rumors stands correct, and it will be available in July.

They both share the same number of cores and threads. For what I understand 3850X is not Threadripper. 

I am confused if I should get the Threadripper TR4 - 2950X now, or should I actually go with 3850X when both has the same cores and threads for what I want to use for.

Thank you and appreciated.

TR if you need the PCIe lanes and the more pro features of its motherboards. Ryzen if not. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I'd wait and see, if the 3850x comes in at a significantly higher clock speed i'd lean that way, worse case for waiting the price gets dropped on the 2950x to clear the way for 3rd gen Threadripper

25 minutes ago, TheRealm said:

Mobo Phantom Gaming 6

i suggest you step up to a taichi

A couple of things you could do. It looks like you need a lot of RAM which means TR is probably the better option (you also won't be getting 3400Mhz working with 8 dimms). So you could opt for TR but waiting for it to go on clearance or you could wait for Ryzen 3000 which might not actually launch with a 16 core part immediately.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

47 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

TR if you need the PCIe lanes and the more pro features of its motherboards. Ryzen if not. 

Thank you, I need literally very "basic" for 1 graphics card only. No sli or OC.

25 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i suggest you step up to a taichi

Thank you, I need literally very "basic" for 1 graphics card only. No sli or OC.

9 minutes ago, Carclis said:

..........you also won't be getting 3400Mhz working with 8 dimms). So you could opt for TR but waiting for it to go on clearance or you could wait for Ryzen 3000 which might not actually launch with a 16 core part immediately.

Why 3400Mhz won't work with 8 dimms ? The Phantom Gaming 6 mobo supports till 3400Mhz. 

Am I missing something ? Thank you

3 minutes ago, TheRealm said:

so? if you have money for a 2950x, you have money for a good mobo with some higher class vrm's

so get a taichi, or something along those lines

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

so? if you have money for a 2950x, you have money for a good mobo with some higher class vrm's

so get a taichi, or something along those lines

But if I don't do OC why would I need higher vrm ?

Sorry noob here

1 minute ago, TheRealm said:

But if I don't do OC why would I need higher vrm ?

Sorry noob here

because better power delivery=stabler power=kinda a requirement on high end threadripper?

1 hour ago, TheRealm said:

The non threadripper 16 core will likely be faster overall because it might hit 5ghz

you're going to be lucky to get over 3200mhz running on the RAM even with B-die, but 3rd gen probably has another improvement on the memory controller.

You're going to want a good VRM as overclocking is incredibly simple, and for the 16 cores in general.

But I'd just buy a basic board with an R7 1700 for now or something, since newer better X570 board will be out by the time the 16 core comes out, and the 16 core may not even launch with the others.

You can just load up on your RAM now though, unlikely to need more than 32GBs?

You only want threadripper if you need all the PCI-e lanes for NVME drives or GPUs, pretty much all of the TR4 motherboards are fine on the VRM aside from the 24/32 core CPUs...and maybe future 64 core CPUs...

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bB2wFt
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bB2wFt/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($158.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $233.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-20 04:53 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The non threadripper 16 core will likely be faster overall because it might hit 5ghz

you're going to be lucky to get over 3200mhz running on the RAM even with B-die, but 3rd gen probably has another improvement on the memory controller.
You're going to want a good VRM as overclocking is incredibly simple, and for the 16 cores in general.

But I'd just buy a basic board with an R7 1700 for now or something, since newer better X570 board will be out by the time the 16 core comes out, and the 16 core may not even launch with the others.
You can just load up on your RAM now though, unlikely to need more than 32GBs?
You only want threadripper if you need all the PCI-e lanes for NVME drives or GPUs, pretty much all of the TR4 motherboards are fine on the VRM aside from the 24/32 core CPUs...and maybe future 64 core CPUs...

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bB2wFt
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bB2wFt/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($158.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $233.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-20 04:53 EDT-0400

I do want to run 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVme m.2 1TB, 1 x 970 EVO 500GB and 1 x old SSD 500 GB, 2 x old SATA Hard disks as for backup / storage files.

I haven't upgrade my computer for the last 5 or 7 years, been using i7 3820 cpu 4C/8T, 32 GB ddr3 1666 mhz for a long time. Upgraded last year to RX470 - 8 GB rams card.

That's why now I want to upgrade to a high end computer since I don't upgrade constantly as you now know. I am looking for something stable and with good longivity, another reason why I don't do OC as I read / heard comments about shorter life spam on the cpu. 

I read in Zbrushcentral that Zbrush is about CORE counting, the more core the better, same as for Arnold and Keyshot since they are CPU base. Although money wise isn't an issue for this build, I want to spend only on what I actually need for a stable build. That's why I need you and other users expertise to help me give directions :)) which I really appreciated.

I'm not Intel fan to be honest when it comes to price vs performance. I think AMD has a much better value. 

So, based on what I need, let's say, 1 x graphic card, 2 x NVMe 970 EVO, I would still better off with the Taichi X399? 

I looked into https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X399-AORUS-XTREME-rev-10#kf

Would that be a bit overkill???

Thank you 

19 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Why wouldn't the board run 3200mhz when it supports it ?
Does Threradripper has any bottleneck ? 

sorry, noob here

15 minutes ago, TheRealm said:

Why wouldn't the board run 3200mhz when it supports it ?
Does Threradripper has any bottleneck ? 

sorry, noob here

The memory controller on the CPU is what determines your memory clocks not really the motherboard at this point with all the bios updates.

Ryzen's memory controller is still improving, and going past 3200mhz isn't worth it anyways especially on price, because your latency just goes up too.

most kits will run at 3200mhz now.

What do you mean does threadripper have any bottlneck?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 hours ago, TheRealm said:

Why 3400Mhz won't work with 8 dimms ? The Phantom Gaming 6 mobo supports till 3400Mhz. 

Am I missing something ? Thank you

Because 8 dimms means 2 dims per channel. If you look at any Ryzen/Threadripper board you'll notice the supported speeds drops quite dramatically if you do that. My board for example has a handful of 8 dimm kits validated at 2933Mhz and those are all 3000/3200Mhz kits. So I'd say you're probably doing well if you manage to pull 3200Mhz off.

Edit: So I looked at your boards QVL list and the only kits validated at 3400Mhz are done so with 2/4 modules installed.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

On 3/20/2019 at 10:01 PM, Carclis said:

Edit: So I looked at your boards QVL list and the only kits validated at 3400Mhz are done so with 2/4 modules installed.

SO, is this a good thing or a bad thing ? Sorry noob here

Or should I go with Aorus Xtreme board OR Taichi X399 ? For what I understand is if ram isn't fast enough, even with a powerful cpu or vice versa, it will be a bottleneck am I correct?

My main goal is to have a build that I can do Zbrush and Keyshot rendering without lagging. Budget isn't a problem not wanting to sound snobbish, but I don't need something that will break my bank either. I set a budget for this new build around / no more than US$2500. For example 2990WX would be overkill.

6 hours ago, TheRealm said:

SO, is this a good thing or a bad thing ? Sorry noob here

Or should I go with Aorus Xtreme board OR Taichi X399 ? For what I understand is if ram isn't fast enough, even with a powerful cpu or vice versa, it will be a bottleneck am I correct?

My main goal is to have a build that I can do Zbrush and Keyshot rendering without lagging. Budget isn't a problem not wanting to sound snobbish, but I don't need something that will break my bank either. I set a budget for this new build around / no more than US$2500. For example 2990WX would be overkill.

Well the QVL is there as an indicator of what you might expect your memory to reach. Given that there are a significant number of kits tested it would suggest that 3400 is very unlikely. It's also possible that the board hasn't been updated to show validation for the 2nd gen TR so there's that. Out of the three I'd be looking at the other two you mentioned since it's probably more of a better match. I'm not sure how they compare though. One thing you might prefer is the Taichi since it uses a Lotes socket rather than Foxconn though. Should make installation a hell of a lot easier ?

I really wouldn't worry about the RAM though. Just know that you'll most likely get 2933Mhz and maybe more if you're lucky with 8 dimms. Should still perform quite well, especially if you tweak the timings.