Question about overclocking on MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming motherboard

Quick question.... I am running an MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming motherboard with an i5 4670K overclocked to 4.2 GHz. I have had it locked at this speed since day one. Is there any way to keep this overclock, but have it lower the speed if I am just browsing the net or do light duty tasks?

Thank you!

Speedstep already does this for you if you have it enabled. Look at clocks in task manager and you'll see the frequency not being 4.2 all the time

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

17 minutes ago, Mo5 said:

Speedstep already does this for you if you have it enabled. Look at clocks in task manager and you'll see the frequency not being 4.2 all the time

I think it must be disabled. My clocks stay at 4.2 GHz all the time. I think back when I did the overclock on this, I just used the OC Genie button on the motherboard.

Check C-State C0%. Clocks are stopped when C1-C7 and in C6 voltage is gated off to the core so as long as C3-C6 are reported then power draw should be low when browsing even if the CPU runs full speed when active. Also check that your in balanced power mode if on Windows.

AWOL