PWM splitter

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
1 hour ago, David_Kwan said:

Mhm.. have no idea what DC fans are. I thought there were only 3pin, molex and 4pin(pwm) fans. (There's a lot left that I need to learn I see..)

Though I read that you can plug the rear exhaust to the cpu opt header to have it's rpm synced with the cpu cooler?? Is this recommended?

I'm using the stock cooler that came with the R5 2600 so I can't really make good use of it since it's not like those tower coolers.

2pin, 3pin, and molex powered fans all use dc. 4pin pwm fans can also be controlled with dc but that's not the point of pwm fans. 

The cpu_opt might share the same fan settings as the cpu_fan header or it might not. You can check the available settings to be sure. Whichever you prefer is up to you and either is fine as long as your temps are kept in check. 

Hi guys,

So I just want to know if I can still control my fans with a pwm splitter like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EF9OI0O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My question is will I still be able to control 2 fans connected to the splitter if only one of them have 4 pins? 

Because the other has 3 pins.

I bought these because I have 4 case fans in my new system but there were only 3 sys fan headers on my motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

PC Specs:

CPU: R5 2600(OCd to 4ghz)  |  CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition  |  Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  3200mhz(White)  |  PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750w 80+gold  |  GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC 6GB  |  NVME: 970 Evo+ 250gb(OS)  |  SSD: 860 Evo 500gb(Games) , MX500 1TB(Games)  |  HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm(Mass storage device)  |  Case: NZXT H500(White)  |  Case fans: 2x140 Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM(Grey) , 1x120 Thermaltake Riing 12 series red led

Peripherals:

Headset: HyperX Cloud Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  |  Keyboard: Coolermaster MK750 CherryMX Red  |  Monitor: AOC G2590FX 25" Frameless Gaming Monitor

8 minutes ago, David_Kwan said:

My question is will I still be able to control 2 fans connected to the splitter if only one of them have 4 pins? 

Because the other has 3 pins.

Don't think so.  The PWM 4th pin controls the speed if I understand correctly.  All would need 4 pins to work the way you want.

3 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Don't think so.  The PWM 4th pin controls the speed if I understand correctly.  All would need 4 pins to work the way you want.

Are all pwm splitters the same? Or did I make a mistake in buying this particular one?

PC Specs:

CPU: R5 2600(OCd to 4ghz)  |  CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition  |  Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  3200mhz(White)  |  PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750w 80+gold  |  GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC 6GB  |  NVME: 970 Evo+ 250gb(OS)  |  SSD: 860 Evo 500gb(Games) , MX500 1TB(Games)  |  HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm(Mass storage device)  |  Case: NZXT H500(White)  |  Case fans: 2x140 Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM(Grey) , 1x120 Thermaltake Riing 12 series red led

Peripherals:

Headset: HyperX Cloud Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  |  Keyboard: Coolermaster MK750 CherryMX Red  |  Monitor: AOC G2590FX 25" Frameless Gaming Monitor

1 minute ago, David_Kwan said:

Are all pwm splitters the same? Or did I make a mistake in buying this particular one?

No, they are all the same, and the one 4 pin fan you have will work fine, but the other 3 pin wont.

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

No, they are all the same, and the one 4 pin fan you have will work fine, but the other 3 pin wont.

Which fans do you recommend to have control over?

I have 2x140 front intakes.

1x120 rear exhaust and 1x120 top exhaust.

I'm not sure which one is best to control. 

PC Specs:

Peripherals:

The splitters are the same but sending a pwm signal to a 2-3pin fan would result in 100% rpm. 2-3pins don't have the built-in IC present in 4pin pwm fans that's needed to modulate the incoming 12v signal. 

If you want to control the fans off the same splitter, you'll need to use dc instead of pwm. Alternatively, you can group the pwm and dc fans together and plug them into separate headers. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The splitters are the same but sending a pwm signal to a 2-3pin fan would result in 100% rpm. 2-3pins don't have the built-in IC present in 4pin pwm fans that's needed to modulate the incoming 12v signal. 

If you want to control the fans off the same splitter, you'll need to use dc instead of pwm. Alternatively, you can group the pwm and dc fans together and plug them into separate headers. 

Mhm.. have no idea what DC fans are. I thought there were only 3pin, molex and 4pin(pwm) fans. (There's a lot left that I need to learn I see..)

But I already have pwm fans so I guess I'll just plug the 2 front intakes into individual headers and the 2 exhaust will have to use the splitter.

I'll plug the rear exhaust to the 4pin splitter and the top exhaust to the 3pin splitter.

Though I read that you can plug the rear exhaust to the cpu opt header to have it's rpm synced with the cpu cooler?? Is this recommended?

I'm using the stock cooler that came with the R5 2600 so I can't really make good use of it since it's not like those tower coolers.

PC Specs:

Peripherals:

2pin, 3pin, and molex powered fans all use dc. 4pin pwm fans can also be controlled with dc but that's not the point of pwm fans. 

The cpu_opt might share the same fan settings as the cpu_fan header or it might not. You can check the available settings to be sure. Whichever you prefer is up to you and either is fine as long as your temps are kept in check. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

27 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Thanks @WoodenMarker

I will do some tests to see which settings is best. I haven't stress tested my PC yet so I'll do that as well.

PC Specs:

Peripherals: