SSD brand preference

Sarturos
Go to solution Solved by LogicWeasel,
17 minutes ago, Sarturos said:

I have been building PCs for several years now but I seem to be cursed when it comes to storage.

I would like to try a different brand of drives available but I'm unsure which one to pick. Samsung is the preferred brand for almost everyone so I'm not sure what other brand is good to test. Does anyone have any preferred brand they would like to recommend for SSD drives?

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Intel would be the one I would recommend alongside samsung.

Those SSDs should be lasting decades

I agree with Enderman.  If reliability is your primary concern then if you don't want to buy a Samsung 860 EVO (very reliable product) than you're going to want a 3D-Nand Intel SSD. 

Intel has been the gold-standard in long-term reliability in SSDs for some time now and before Samsung was cranking out winners Intel drove that market forward with R&D when SSDs were cutting-edge.

(I wouldn't go for a QLC drive like the 660p just yet, QLC on paper should be far less reliable in the long-haul if you keep writing data to it).

I have been building PCs for several years now but I seem to be cursed when it comes to storage. Back in the days of mechanical drives, I would alternate between WD and Seagate but for one reason or another, the drives would eventually fail after 1 year or 2 of use.

These days, I swear everyone and their mother tell me how good the Samsung Evo SSDs are and that there's really nothing out there that can compare. Well, as my luck would have it, I bought 2 Samsung SSDs and both have failed within 1 year. Even the replacement drives from warranty have failed. Before anyone jumps in and tell me that my computer is probably frying my drives, the components have been upgraded and replaced over the years, including power supplies. Everything else works perfectly fine, only drives seem to die very quickly.

I would like to try a different brand of drives available but I'm unsure which one to pick. Samsung is the preferred brand for almost everyone so I'm not sure what other brand is good to test. Does anyone have any preferred brand they would like to recommend for SSD drives?

1 minute ago, Sarturos said:

I have been building PCs for several years now but I seem to be cursed when it comes to storage. Back in the days of mechanical drives, I would alternate between WD and Seagate but for one reason or another, the drives would eventually fail after 1 year or 2 of use.

These days, I swear everyone and their mother tell me how good the Samsung Evo SSDs are and that there's really nothing out there that can compare. Well, as my luck would have it, I bought 2 Samsung SSDs and both have failed within 1 year. Even the replacement drives from warranty have failed. Before anyone jumps in and tell me that my computer is probably frying my drives, the components have been upgraded and replaced over the years, including power supplies. Everything else works perfectly fine, only drives seem to die very quickly.

i don't rally have a preferred brand, but both Seagate and Adata have failed me on my first build. I am currently leaning towards hp, though, as I am running one of their m.2 drives right now.

Crucial is pretty good, I have one for my laptop. I use XPG/ADATA and Samsung in my main machine.

A girl who loves to love.

Those SSDs should be lasting decades, maybe if you could give some SMART info you could find what the problem is.

High temperatures, humidity, ESD, etc could all cause your SSDs to fail regardless of what power supply you use.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you said it in your op... for me Samsung with SSDs is my perferred... when it comes to HDD its usually seagate or WD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

8 minutes ago, averagebilly said:

i don't rally have a preferred brand, but both Seagate and Adata have failed me on my first build. I am currently leaning towards hp, though, as I am running one of their m.2 drives right now.

Hp eh? I might have to look more into those. I had no clue until now HP did any kind of storage.

9 minutes ago, Aimi said:

Crucial is pretty good, I have one for my laptop. I use XPG/ADATA and Samsung in my main machine.

I have seen ads for Crucial showing up recently. I thought about giving them a try, but wanted to ask here first.

17 minutes ago, Sarturos said:

I have been building PCs for several years now but I seem to be cursed when it comes to storage.

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Those SSDs should be lasting decades

I agree with Enderman.  If reliability is your primary concern then if you don't want to buy a Samsung 860 EVO (very reliable product) than you're going to want a 3D-Nand Intel SSD. 

Intel has been the gold-standard in long-term reliability in SSDs for some time now and before Samsung was cranking out winners Intel drove that market forward with R&D when SSDs were cutting-edge.

(I wouldn't go for a QLC drive like the 660p just yet, QLC on paper should be far less reliable in the long-haul if you keep writing data to it).

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Those SSDs should be lasting decades, maybe if you could give some SMART info you could find what the problem is.

High temperatures, humidity, ESD, etc could all cause your SSDs to fail regardless of what power supply you use.

I bought a 256GB 545s that died the DAY I BOUGHT IT. My Crucial drives have all been really reliable, never had any of them fail (some 5+ years old)

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I bought a 256GB 545s that died the DAY I BOUGHT IT. My Crucial drives have all been really reliable, never had any of them fail (some 5+ years old)

Yeah that's called anecdotal evidence.

If you want to know true reliability go take a look at what SSDs are being used in datacenters.

I can guarantee you it is not some MX500 in there.

Also, 545s aren't that good.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeah that's called anecdotal evidence.

If you want to know true reliability go take a look at what SSDs are being used in datacenters.

I can guarantee you it is not some MX500 in there.

Yes, their data centre ssds are good. So what? That doesn't mean anything for their consumer drives

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Yes, their data centre ssds are good. So what? That doesn't mean anything for their consumer drives

The consumer drives are made the same way.

They just have less error checking and overprovisioning and stuff like that.

You just need to get a good MLC or SLC drive, not a cheapo 545.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

The consumer drives are made the same way.

They just have less error checking and overprovisioning and stuff like that.

You just need to get a good MLC or SLC drive, not a cheapo 545.

Such as? They don't sell any other SATA drives that I can see, at least a cursory search on PCPP

She/they 

7 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Such as? They don't sell any other SATA drives that I can see, at least a cursory search on PCPP

Most of their SSDs are M.2 or U.2 these days.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, LogicWeasel said:

This is true, Intel also has good reputation with SSD drives so maybe it is in my best interest to give them a try.

Based on all the replies so far, and reliability being my main concern, I would probably give Intel a try and hope for the best. Otherwise it sounds like Crucial would be next on the list.

About a dozen Samsung SSDs in use here, of varying ages and models (from 840 EVO to 960 PRO).  I have yet to see one fail. 

I've also been running a pair of Crucial MX200s in my NAS for 3 years now and they haven't given me any issues either. 

Stick to reputable brands and you have to be really unlucky to have any issues.

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

About a dozen Samsung SSDs in use here, of varying ages and models (from 840 EVO to 960 PRO).  I have yet to see one fail. 

I've also been running a pair of Crucial MX200s in my NAS for 3 years now and they haven't given me any issues either. 

I believe everyone on how reliable the Samsung SSDs are, I just seem to be cursed. I thought about buying another Samsung but wanted to try something else instead.

Having tried a lot of HHDs over the years and now SSD's, taking that all in. I have found, WD works great for both HHD and SSD, I also am running a SanDisk 240gb SSD and no issues.  In my new build will be using WD and Samsung SSD and M.2 along with the before mentioned SanDisk. I will also be trying out a Seagate 4tb Hybrid HHD/SSD to see how holds up and how fast it is,  I will have 2 WD 4tb 7200rpm HHD's as well for back up and grunt work.  You seem to already have found your answer, but I thought my 2 cents worth might be os some interest,

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

I generally prefer those the most that make their own NAND as well as own controllers. Because if they know how to do that and have the capacities, it means they are experts on that and they also have the most power and control over the design and compatibility/reliability. Which is why I usually prefer Samsung as whole. They make one of the best NAND chips as well as SSD controllers.

If we look at brands only, it would be Samsung, Crucial, Corsair, Sandisk, WD and Intel.