Unexplained green/red "ghosting"

Hello,

I have been experiencing this strange color blurring on my monitor for a few weeks now and I can't pinpoint the cause. The specs of my computer are listed below. I have not changed any hardware/settings in the last few months and my monitor and GPU have been running fine for over a year and a half. I have include two short videos to display the issue. The issue started around the time I started playing Anthem but I don't believe this has anything to do with it since the problem persists on the outside the game as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16pzdq6jvbaYxEB2AwEXAE0qZ3QbgCXU5/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12lCDm0B1FnHQ4wIgAdgQ9YxxWOSnB6R8/view?usp=sharing

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro

AMD Ryzen 7 1700

8GB RAM

XFX RX 480 8GB

Gigabyte Gaming 5 Motherboard

Crossover 27VV 2560x1440 AH-VA (IPS) 75Hz       (60Hz but factory speced to overclock to 75Hz, has run without issue till now)

DisplayPort cable for Freesync

Monitor Info.JPG

Have you tested it on a different monitor to isolate things, if not do you have a spare GPU laying around? I would test a different monitor first though to see if the issue persists. If you don't have another monitor try a TV, pretty much all of them by today's standards have and HDMI port and some have Display ports.

Quote me or @TwilightRavens if you want me to see your reply. I may go inactive for a long time from time to time because I forget how to socialize, but I will be back... eventually.

Main Gaming PC

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X || AsRock X570 Taichi || G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR4 3600MHz 2 x 16GB C16 1.35v || AMD Wraith Prism || Phanteks Enthoo Pro E-ATX || Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC || Samsung 970 Evo 250GB NVME SSD & Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME & Crucial 960GB SATA III SSD || EVGA Supernova 750W Platinum PQ || Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64 || Gigabyte M27Q 27" 170Hz 1440P & Acer 21.5” 1080p 75hz IPS || Logitech G213 Prodigy || Logitech G502 Hero

Laptop

AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with RadeonGraphics || ASUS TUF A15 ||  DDR4 3200MHz 2 x 8GB C22 1.2v || ASUS GeForce GTX 1650 4G GDDR6 || 512GB NVME M.2 SSD  ||  Ubuntu 22.04.1 (Jammy Jellyfish)

49 minutes ago, TwilightRavens said:

Have you tested it on a different monitor to isolate things, if not do you have a spare GPU laying around? I would test a different monitor first though to see if the issue persists. If you don't have another monitor try a TV, pretty much all of them by today's standards have and HDMI port and some have Display ports.

I'll try using the HDMI port instead and see what happens. I do have a TV but no spare monitor. I can try ordering another GPU to swap it in. That being said, if it does fix the issue, what should I try to pinpoint the cause with my current setup. Is this a type of ghosting, or is this something else entirely? All the ghosting videos I lookup don't show any color trailing like I'm getting. (Your able to view the videos right?)

9 hours ago, TeamPlayer22 said:

I'll try using the HDMI port instead and see what happens. I do have a TV but no spare monitor. I can try ordering another GPU to swap it in. That being said, if it does fix the issue, what should I try to pinpoint the cause with my current setup. Is this a type of ghosting, or is this something else entirely? All the ghosting videos I lookup don't show any color trailing like I'm getting. (Your able to view the videos right?)

Yeah I watched them and my bet is on it being the monitor and not the GPU, but still try it on a spare tv just to make sure it doesn’t do it on that, if it doesn’t then its the monitor or display port at least, if it does its the GPU.

Also what you are seeing is not ghosting, ghosting is an artifact caused by a slow response time. As the screen refreshes, the human eye still perceives the image previously displayed causing a smearing or blurring visual effect, not the rainbow thing you see. That could be due to the monitor being on its way out, GPU being on its way out or possibly incorrectly supported color settings that the monitor can’t process set within your graphics driver, i.e. Full RGB vs Limited RGB.

Edit: One more thought, have you tried an older graphics driver? Before I retired my R9 290X a few weeks ago Radeon would tend to have a few buggy drivers every now and then, could be something minor like that or sometimes it would disable my overclocks. I would honestly try this one before all else. Make sure you DDU before you do though so no remnants of the current driver make their way to the other driver you try. And if it’s already an older driver try a new one.

Quote me or @TwilightRavens if you want me to see your reply. I may go inactive for a long time from time to time because I forget how to socialize, but I will be back... eventually.

Main Gaming PC

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X || AsRock X570 Taichi || G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR4 3600MHz 2 x 16GB C16 1.35v || AMD Wraith Prism || Phanteks Enthoo Pro E-ATX || Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC || Samsung 970 Evo 250GB NVME SSD & Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME & Crucial 960GB SATA III SSD || EVGA Supernova 750W Platinum PQ || Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64 || Gigabyte M27Q 27" 170Hz 1440P & Acer 21.5” 1080p 75hz IPS || Logitech G213 Prodigy || Logitech G502 Hero

Laptop

AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with RadeonGraphics || ASUS TUF A15 ||  DDR4 3200MHz 2 x 8GB C22 1.2v || ASUS GeForce GTX 1650 4G GDDR6 || 512GB NVME M.2 SSD  ||  Ubuntu 22.04.1 (Jammy Jellyfish)

Use DDU and reinstall ur video drivers , see if that helps.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Interesting development. I went through my settings on the monitor menu. There were two in the submenu marked FreeSync and Overdriver. I know what Freesync does but it's unclear what the Overdriver does. I disabled Overdriver and it seems to have fixed the issue. I'll have to do further research into these Korean monitors to see what this function is for and what disabling it will do to my refresh rate.