Switching to Dual Boot Linux

Okay, so I spent yesterday trying to set up Linux to dual boot with WIndows 10 and manged to fuck it up. I'm gonna wipe my Linux drive and try again, this time though I want someone to explain setting up a dual boot to me like I'm an idiot(not condescending but simple). I'm frustrated and ripping my hair out over this.

Well... I installed Ubuntu 18.10 along side of windows and it gave me a option to install alongside of it. It made its own partition and a boot-up screen OS selector.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK聽and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

What distribution are you trying to install?

If you have a separate drive, I would suggest not bothering with dual boot at all; install Windows on one drive, install Linux on the other drive and select the one you want from the BIOS boot menu. It's a simpler procedure and there are fewer things that could go wrong.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Well... I installed Ubuntu 18.10 along side of windows and it gave me a option to install alongside of it. It made its own partition and a boot-up screen OS selector.

And there's my mistake, I heard I need to unplug my Windows drive so it wasn't overwritten, guess those instructions were outdated.

Just now, Sauron said:

What distribution are you trying to install?

If you have a separate drive, I would suggest not bothering with dual boot at all; install Windows on one drive, install Linux on the other drive and select the one you want from the BIOS boot menu. It's a simpler procedure and there are fewer things that could go wrong.

Yeah I tried that and it... broke Ubuntu.

Are you doing these Linux installs in VMs, or full installs?

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

Just now, Smellbringer said:

And there's my mistake, I heard I need to unplug my Windows drive so it wasn't overwritten, guess those instructions were outdated.

Yeah i resized my windows partition 4 times before knowing i could do that and somehow it still works fine.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK聽and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

4 minutes ago, Smellbringer said:

Yeah I tried that and it... broke Ubuntu.

That's weird, try again but when you install one operating system remove the other drive from the system to avoid confusion.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That's how I did it at first, but for what ever reason my MSI X470 Carbon BIOS didn't see the windows drive in boot priority, so I dug through until I reached advanced boot settings, overrode my fixed boot priority, got into WIndows and when I tried to switch back to Ubuntu I found my self trapped in the boot set up menu for ubuntu and no matter what I picked i got boot error codes I cannot remember because I'm at college rn.