Constant PC "Freezing"

OmegaJhin

So I have no idea of what to do anymore, I can't seem to find this issue anywhere else and I have run out of places to ask so I shall ask here and see if anyone knows what is going on with my PC. So my PC constantly keeps freezing but not fully, I can move my mouse around, CTRL+ALT+DEL and it'll come up, I can hear my friends talk on Discord, but they can't hear me, none of my clicks seem to register when I try, and all the RGB in my PC freezes as well (IDK if that is important but I'm trying to say everything that happens for better clarity), now one time it happened I pulled up task manager before hand to see if anything on there seemed weird. Well when it "froze" it looked like my GPU spiked to 100% usage and I do not know why because I didn't have anything but task manager open at the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

PC Specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Motherboard: ASUS Prime X470 Pro

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz (2 sticks of 8 GB)

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x72

Power Supply: Corsair RMX White Edition 750W 80+ Gold Fully modular

3 Corsair LL 120 Fans as well (Just in case it's important)

That same thing happens to me when I try to overclock a core too much. Have you overclocked the CPU?

Can you go to userbenchmark.com, run a benchmark and then post the link to your results?

No signature found

2 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

That same thing happens to me when I try to overclock a core too much. Have you overclocked the CPU?

Can you go to userbenchmark.com, run a benchmark and then post the link to your results?

I have overclocked the CPU before but I reverted it because I just didn't have a need for it.

Results are here: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15456933

Okay, the results show me two things, that I hope are related to your problem.

First of all, your system drive is almost full. Try to keep it as empty as possible for best speeds.

Then secondly, the CPU score is a little on the low side, but as you said you run it at stock. Most users will have overclocked so it's not a fair comparison.

Another reason for the low CPU score could be temperature related.

Have noticed any high temperatures of the CPU?

Have you reset the motherboard to it's stock settings (cleared CMOS) after going back to stock CPU settings?

Can you let memtest run for a couple of hours? https://www.techpowerup.com/memtest64/

See what that has to say...

What I can make up now is that one or more cores of your CPU 'hangs' while something is going wrong, like a non-critical memory error.

Please let memtest run for a couple of hours, up to a day and report back.

I will get some sleep and if nobody else had helped you further in the mean time I will get back to you.

No signature found

16 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

First of all, your system drive is almost full. Try to keep it as empty as possible for best speeds.

Then secondly, the CPU score is a little on the low side, but as you said you run it at stock. Most users will have overclocked so it's not a fair comparison.

Have you reset the motherboard to it's stock settings (cleared CMOS) after going back to stock CPU settings?

Can you let memtest run for a couple of hours? https://www.techpowerup.com/memtest64/

What I can make up now is that one or more cores of your CPU 'hangs' while something is going wrong, like a non-critical memory error.

I will get some sleep and if nobody else had helped you further in the mean time I will get back to you.

Yea I do need to clean my drives up a bit lol 

I did not clear my CMOS but if you think that could be a cause I shall do so.

I have not noticed any high temps at all on my CPU, I have idle temps of about 25-30C and under load about 35C maybe a little more based on the game.

I'll let memtest run while I go to sleep, and will give you the results when I wake up and also thank you so much for the help.

11 hours ago, RobbinM said:

So here is an update for you, I woke up and turned my monitor on and there was a black screen saying a Corsair error which a quick google search said was an ICUE software error. But I couldn't check the memtest64 results since I had to hard reset my pc. But I went into my Windows Event Viewer and there is a massive amount of errors I'll attach the log file.

Event Log.evtx

ICUE can cause a lot of errors too. I recommend uninstalling it, and see if the problem persists.

Some RGB memory relies on the software writing to the same EEPROM chip as the timing tables are stored. This can cause issues and even make the tables corrupt.

Therefore I also suggest you go into the BIOS and check if all memory timings are corresponding with the manufacturers spec of the kit you bought.

I had a quick look at the event viewer, and it seems your system is trying to make a shadow backup that doesn't go through.

You can do the steps in this article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/volume-shadow-copy-wont-start-error-1053-didnt/f545e4b5-3ac5-4867-8a38-55fa88949bd9 

And from that article, running the microsoft tool to scan for corrupt files would not be a bad thing: https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Some files can become corrupted because of memory corruption, so this Volume Shadow Copy issue might even be related to the freezes you experience.

So far all the research we have done seem to point more and more towards your memory.

I hope you will find a corrupted memory timings table, correct it, remove ICUE and then have no stability issues any longer.

If your system proves to be stable after this, you can later always try to install a new version of ICUE, but remember that any time you change your RGB settings, it writes to your RAM EEPROM and can cause these issues again so be very thaughtful of it.

Please let me know the results of these steps.

No signature found

1 hour ago, RobbinM said:

ICUE can cause a lot of errors too. I recommend uninstalling it, and see if the problem persists.

Some RGB memory relies on the software writing to the same EEPROM chip as the timing tables are stored. This can cause issues and even make the tables corrupt.

Therefore I also suggest you go into the BIOS and check if all memory timings are corresponding with the manufacturers spec of the kit you bought.

I had a quick look at the event viewer, and it seems your system is trying to make a shadow backup that doesn't go through.

You can do the steps in this article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/volume-shadow-copy-wont-start-error-1053-didnt/f545e4b5-3ac5-4867-8a38-55fa88949bd9 

And from that article, running the microsoft tool to scan for corrupt files would not be a bad thing: https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Some files can become corrupted because of memory corruption, so this Volume Shadow Copy issue might even be related to the freezes you experience.

So far all the research we have done seem to point more and more towards your memory.

I hope you will find a corrupted memory timings table, correct it, remove ICUE and then have no stability issues any longer.

If your system proves to be stable after this, you can later always try to install a new version of ICUE, but remember that any time you change your RGB settings, it writes to your RAM EEPROM and can cause these issues again so be very thaughtful of it.

Please let me know the results of these steps.

Alright so I have uninstalled ICUE, did the check for corrupted files and there were none that were corrupt, I'm about to check the memory timing's now and see if it is all good from there. 

Update: My RAM is running at the speed it should be of 3200Mhz but since uninstalling ICUE i have not noticed the spike in my GPU load at all where before it would be like every minute or so it would spike to 100% load

Good. I hope it is stable now. Let us know.

No signature found

On 3/14/2019 at 1:56 PM, RobbinM said:

Good. I hope it is stable now. Let us know.

So I have had my PC running for 3 days straight now and have not had a single crash or "freeze". So I guess it was the ICUE that kept causing it. Thank you again, you're a life saver!

Have you looked at all the memory timings, including secondary and tertiary timings?

No signature found

1 hour ago, RobbinM said:

Have you looked at all the memory timings, including secondary and tertiary timings?

Sorry for being dumb in this aspect but how do I check all my timings?