USB 2.0 RGB hub compatible with 5V 3-pin D-RGB?

Go to solution Solved by ROBOCRIPPLE,

I've found a solution that might just work. I searched online for a way to hook up the Evolv X D-RGB to a Corsair Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro, and I ended up with this cable

I had to sign up for an ebay account to buy one, though. Would be nice if Corsair themselves would make these cables, since I'm pretty suspicious of vendors on sites like ebay and Aliexpress.

I just got the Phanteks Evolv X case for my current gaming system. I wanted to be able to control the case RGB through my motherboard, but when I was installing it, I noticed that the RGB connector for the case is different from the ones on my motherboard. This one requires a 3-pin (5V) header, while my motherboard, the ASUS Prime X470-Pro, only has two 4-pin (12V) headers.

I did some research on the Internet only to find out that the technologies are different and therefore there is no way to connect a 3-pin connector to a 4-pin one. I was pretty disappointed, but built my PC anyway; I'm using the built-in RGB controls, for now; still looks great!

The only way I would be able to control the case's addressable RGB through my motherboard is to have a motherboard that has a compatible header. My current board is fairly new, so I don't really want to upgrade it at this point. Not until USB4 is available on motherboards, anyway.

We have RGB fan/led hubs like the NZXT Hue 2 and the Corsair Commander Pro that connect to motherboards via their USB 2.0 headers and controlled via their software suites like Corsair's iCue. So, I'm wondering: are there any devices like that with the 5V, 3-pin D-RGB header? If not, will there be one coming soon, if ever? Is connecting a 5V, 3-pin D-RGB header via USB 2.0 even possible? I'd like to have one because, like I said, I don't want to buy a newer motherboard.

I've found a solution that might just work. I searched online for a way to hook up the Evolv X D-RGB to a Corsair Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro, and I ended up with this cable

I had to sign up for an ebay account to buy one, though. Would be nice if Corsair themselves would make these cables, since I'm pretty suspicious of vendors on sites like ebay and Aliexpress.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Posting over a year later, and I can confirm that the cable works. I can control the case and AIO lighting in iCUE. Here are some pictures showing proof; I couldn't get similar effects on AURA or the controls built into the case.

20200423_182151.jpg

20200423_182158.jpg