Used mobo+CPU+RAM options

Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,
2 minutes ago, Mycielski said:

Nah, it's DDR3, it's a special board, that come with that type of memory.

ah, second option is only worth it if you buy a second CPU, which is not worth it. 

id go with the first option, it appears to be a decent deal

Hi guys,

I want to ask for your opinion on two "half-rig" options. I found them online, as used "deals".

My main question is, which one is better, in terms of price/performance in your opinion.

1st option for about  ~160 USD:

- i5-6500 (w/o cooler)

- Gigabyte GA-H170M

- 16 GB of DDR3 1333MHz memory (mixed brands, 4 sticks)

2nd option for about ~86 USD:

- i3-3240 (w stock cooler)

- ASUS P8H61 R2.0

- 16 GB of DDR3 1333MHz memory (mixed brands, 2 sticks)

I know these prices are kinda high compared to US ones, but these are the already "argued" prices.

I have a TX3i cooler and a bequiet! System Power 9 500W PSU and also a GTX 660 to complete the system in a well ventilated case (DeepCool Tesseract BF).

What I really want is to change from the trusty, yet ancient LGA775 platform.

Please give some advice on the choice.

Thanks in advance for help. M.

Where are you located BTW? Perhaps a browsing through your local classifieds, one might found other options for more recent rigs.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

At the same country as you :D IMO (I browsed HardverApró for deals)

14 minutes ago, Mycielski said:

At the same country as you :D IMO (I browsed HardverApró for deals)

Nice. I'd ask around PH! forum as well. They seem very helpful, even with recommendations for older components& reasonable upgrades.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

52 minutes ago, Mycielski said:

- i5-6500 (w/o cooler)

- Gigabyte GA-H170M

- 16 GB of DDR3 1333MHz memory (mixed brands, 4 sticks)

are you sure that is DDR3? 

because that mobo uses DDR4 iirc. 

is that 16 GB of DDR4 then?

Nah, it's DDR3, it's a special board, that come with that type of memory.

ah, second option is only worth it if you buy a second CPU, which is not worth it. 

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Well, I could swap it with an i5-2400 for free. I have an office computer with that i5, and the mobo on that machine supports 3rd gen. Intel CPUs, and for that office machine,that i3-3240 would be enough.

11 minutes ago, Mycielski said:

Well, I could swap it with an i5-2400 for free. I have an office computer with that i5, and the mobo on that machine supports 3rd gen. Intel CPUs, and for that office machine,that i3-3240 would be enough.

Sounds like a good choice, if you can actually do that

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Sounds like a good choice, if you can actually do that

I could, but that would result in 2 computer disassembly, but a more "cost-effective" solution.

My main "problem" with that i3 deal, is that mobo is kinda bare-bones... Like it doesn't even have any video output for the iGPU, and it doesn't have any heatsink on the VRM.

The mobo that comes with that i5-6500 is a bit better one, I guess.

Just now, Mycielski said:

My main "problem" with that i3 deal, is that mobo is kinda bare-bones... Like it doesn't even have any video output for the iGPU, and it doesn't have any heatsink on the VRM.

its not great to not have a mobo VRM heatsink, but it will most likely be fine. the 6500 system will be the longerlasting system regardless of how you look at it, but it is the more expencive one. 

you could also just sell of whatever in the second PC. you might get some bucks out of that. 

also get a 120GB SSD for the OS. they cost like 20-21$ and are highly recommended

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

its not great to not have a mobo VRM heatsink, but it will most likely be fine. the 6500 system will be the longerlasting system regardless of how you look at it, but it is the more expencive one. 

you could also just sell of whatever in the second PC. you might get some bucks out of that. 

also get a 120GB SSD for the OS. they cost like 20-21$ and are highly recommended

The i5-6500's mobo has an M.2 PCIe connector, so if I go with that one, I could get an even better solution I guess.

I'm gonna sell my Core2Quad system. It's almost a collector's piece (condition and parts).

1 minute ago, Mycielski said:

The i5-6500's mobo has an M.2 PCIe connector, so if I go with that one,

honestly. m.2 is kinda overrated in its consumer usecases. a cached Sata SSD like the mx 500 is more than enough and fantastic for regular use aswell as some heavier workloads. the 500GB variant is currently a steal. 

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

honestly. m.2 is kinda overrated in its consumer usecases. a cached Sata SSD like the mx 500 is more than enough and fantastic for regular use aswell as some heavier workloads. the 500GB variant is currently a steal. 

I know, I already used several SATA SSDs (Kingston UV400, ADATA SU800, etc.) and speed is totally okay with that interface too.

I'm gonna possibly use a SATA M.2 SSD, simply just to avoid unnecessary cabling :D 

'm gonna possibly use a SATA M.2 SSD, simply just to avoid unnecessary cabling :D 

if you think the extra cost is worth it, id go for it. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

if you think the extra cost is worth it, id go for it. 

Here, you can get a 120GB SATA M.2 SSD for like 25 USD (like the WD Green SSD). A simple 2.5" SATA counterpart would cost exactly the same.

Thanks for the help guys! 

I bought the i5 deal. I haven't have time so far to test, tho' it posts, and the OS boots up w/o a problem. All RAM recognised, CPU runnin' cool with the TX3i. AIDA64 stress test and memtest sessions coming soon :D