MSI Laptop Hinges

First of all, Hi everyone, first time here.

I wanted to ask whether anyone else here has had problems with MSI laptops' hinge mechanism.

I have a MSI GE 72VR for over two years now, and the hinge has seemed pretty flimsy. It started making cracking noises after 4 months of ownership.  Then the other the day the hinge ripped straight out of the plastic frame that it was attached to. So basically they have a short stubby hinge like 2 or 3 inches long and attach it into the the laptop lid itself, which is made of plastic. A pretty lame solution. The cracking sounds were from various screws cracking the plastic, since there are 8 total holding the hinge to the lid. It doesn't help that MSI torqued the hinge REALLY tight, so it's not easy to open my MSI laptop with one hand; it's the same for my friend who owns a MSI GS stealth laptop. (His hasn't broken yet, but he remarks like it feels he's breaking his laptop lid every time he opens it) Feels almost like they designed it to break in mind. Really let down because everything else in the laptop seems to be of decent quality.

Main point I wanted to ask: Anyone else have this kind of problem with MSI laptops? And have they fixed this in their recent designs? Or would you even consider this to be legitimate problem and that it should be something I should expect.

BTW torqued the hinge to a looser setting and ordered a new lid off ebay to fix my laptop to attempt to keep it going.

Typical MSI gaming laptop problem

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2019 at 5:10 PM, oliveryue2 said:

First of all, Hi everyone, first time here.

I wanted to ask whether anyone else here has had problems with MSI laptops' hinge mechanism.

I have a MSI GE 72VR for over two years now, and the hinge has seemed pretty flimsy. It started making cracking noises after 4 months of ownership.  Then the other the day the hinge ripped straight out of the plastic frame that it was attached to. So basically they have a short stubby hinge like 2 or 3 inches long and attach it into the the laptop lid itself, which is made of plastic. A pretty lame solution. The cracking sounds were from various screws cracking the plastic, since there are 8 total holding the hinge to the lid. It doesn't help that MSI torqued the hinge REALLY tight, so it's not easy to open my MSI laptop with one hand; it's the same for my friend who owns a MSI GS stealth laptop. (His hasn't broken yet, but he remarks like it feels he's breaking his laptop lid every time he opens it) Feels almost like they designed it to break in mind. Really let down because everything else in the laptop seems to be of decent quality.

Main point I wanted to ask: Anyone else have this kind of problem with MSI laptops? And have they fixed this in their recent designs? Or would you even consider this to be legitimate problem and that it should be something I should expect.

BTW torqued the hinge to a looser setting and ordered a new lid off ebay to fix my laptop to attempt to keep it going.

Did this to my GS73vr left hinge broke took my time fixing it until the cable got pulled when my mom tried to close it making the screen go blank. I reseated the cable screen came back to life. So happy to see the screen light up I quickly loosen both hinges. They was so tight it took a lot of strength to loosen those nuts even with a good set of pressure pliers! I could open it with one hand and I feel better opening and closing the screen. Also feel more confident that it will last. The same thing happened to a Lenovo Y5070 touch.