Best mic for chatting?

Will01

I recently posted asking for help with a headset and i picked up a sony wh-1000xm3 which is a great headset, but my only problem is that the mic on it is unusable, awful quality. So im looking for some cheap form of mic for chatting to friends online whilst gaming etc. So im guessing my options are between a cheap condenser mic which you can get on amazon for about £15 - £20 which is super cheap, with a 48v power supply thing. Or i can go for a more traditional cheap mic. Mod mic would be great but i would want it to be wireless if its stuck to my head, and the wireless version is very expensive, so i think im better with something wired, sat on my desk? Any recommendations? thanks in advance

Those professional desktop microphones pick up everything including mouse clicks, keystrokes, and even barely audible noises outside on the street. You need a near field cardioid microphone like the ModMic.

2 minutes ago, Monstieur said:

Those professional desktop microphones pick up everything including mouse clicks, keystrokes, and even barely audible noises outside on the street. You need a near field cardioid microphone like the ModMic.

I like SHURE microphones.  Their shit doesn't piock up stupid little sounds in background.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

I like SHURE microphones.

im on a budget here, these are quite expensive

Just now, Will01 said:

im on a budget here, these are quite expensive

Not really get this one.  100 bucks to the door.  Top quality.  Shure Mic

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

2 minutes ago, Monstieur said:

yeah that was possibly what i was thinking. i dont want to have a huge thing right next to my mouth. but the mod mic is a fair price, but i just got a wireless headset and now its no longer wireless? well, i supposed it does easily remove itself. just seems a lil pricy for how simple it is, i know i just spent a lot on the headset but that is my bank account dry haha, trying to keep it cheap as possible 

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Not really get this one.  100 bucks to the door.  Top quality.  Shure Mic

for speaking to people on discord, that is extremely expensive!

You can't use the XM2 wirelessly with the microphone anyway. It degrades the sound to 16 kHz.

I have a Shure X2u + WH20XLR which is super clear and picks up zero background noise while playing on my home theater system.

1 minute ago, Monstieur said:

You can't use the XM2 wirelessly with the microphone anyway. It degrades the sound to 16 kHz.

yeah it basically has no mic, xm3 btw

2 minutes ago, Will01 said:

yeah it basically has no mic, xm3 btw

You can buy a 3.5mm cable with in-line microphone. Since you're playing on headphones it won't pick up feedback. Just make sure it's the correct wiring like 4-pin CTIA / OMTP or dual 3-pin for your sound card.

Just now, Monstieur said:

You can buy a 3.5mm cable with in-line microphone. Just make sure it's the correct wiring like 4-pin CTIA / OMTP or dual 3-pin for your sound card.

i literally have no clue what you are on about, the wiring part... ? and i dont have a dedicated sound card, just motherboard audio. will that work? only sound card i have around is a really old sound blaster audigy 4 lol

7 minutes ago, Monstieur said:

You can buy a 3.5mm cable with in-line microphone. Since you're playing on headphones it won't pick up feedback. Just make sure it's the correct wiring like 4-pin CTIA / OMTP or dual 3-pin for your sound card.

Only 3.5mm mics i can find seem to be more like lav mics so they dont go near your mouth really, so wont these pick up background noise too? or can you just put them near your mouth and turn the volume down?

1 minute ago, Will01 said:

Only 3.5mm mics i can find seem to be more like lav mics so they dont go near your mouth really, so wont these pick up background noise too? or can you just put them near your mouth and turn the volume down?

https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Microphone-Gaming-Communication/dp/B00BJ17WKK/

It comes with the splitter for a PC. You plug it into the headphones and use them wired so you get zero latency as well.

ah, so i can just plug that into my headphones just to hold it there? that seems okay, just can of disables the wireless headphones lol

It doesn't have aptX Low Latency anyway so it's bad for gaming. The EQ and noise-cancelling on the headphones will continue to work while wired.

It doesn't have aptX Low Latency anyway. The EQ and noisee-cancelling on the headphones will continue to work while wired.

you are fully bamboozling me here. aptx? wtf

11 minutes ago, Monstieur said:

It doesn't have aptX Low Latency anyway so it's bad for gaming. The EQ and noise-cancelling on the headphones will continue to work while wired.

to be honest, im thinking just to get a lav mic and sit it on my desk? or clip it onto me. im not that bothered about quality as its only for chatting and i can get one of these for like £5. and it still keeps my headset wireless if i need to get up or whatever

to be honest, im thinking just to get a lav mic and sit it on my desk? or clip it onto me. im not that bothered about quality as its only for chatting and i can get one of these for like £5. and it still keeps my headset wireless if i need to get up or whatever

The headphones will have unacceptable latency in wireless mode. You'll end up plugging it in eventually. So you might as well get the V-MODA cable with the microphone and have a unified cable. There is nothing better than a near field mic.

The headphones will have unacceptable latency in wireless mode. You'll end up plugging it in eventually. So you might as well get the V-MODA cable with the microphone. There is nothing better than a near field mic next to your mouth.

im playing wireless right now and havent noticed anything...

1 minute ago, Monstieur said:

The headphones will have unacceptable latency in wireless mode. You'll end up plugging it in eventually. So you might as well get the V-MODA cable with the microphone. There is nothing better than a near field mic next to your mouth.

ive even looked at audio video sync videos on youtube and it has 0 delay...

Just now, Will01 said:

ive even looked at audio video sync videos on youtube and it has 0 delay...

iOS delays the video in apps and the browser when using a Bluetooth headset to compensate for the audio delay. It doesn't compensate in real-time content like games. PCs don't compensate at all even in videos.

38 minutes ago, Monstieur said:

iOS delays the video in apps and the browser when using a Bluetooth headset to compensate for the audio delay. It doesn't compensate in real-time content like games. PCs don't compensate at all even in videos.

what the actual hell are you talking about? why are we now talking about iOS? im using this on a pc???? i think im just going to get a cheap lapel mic and see what its likes. worst comes to worst i can send it back.