RAM question

I just bought a new gaming desktop and I love it :). I downloaded speccy just to see my computers exact specs in one screen and it's showing that I have 16.0GB Single-Channel DDR4 @ 1330MHz. My other computer has 12.0GB of duel-channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz. I obviously know 16bg of ddr4 is better than 12gb of dd3. My question is do I need to buy another stick of Ram to get duel channel or does it matter? It has the HYPERX Fury RAM in it and I found it here https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/memory/fury-ddr4?partnum=HX421C14FB/16 or at least I think that's the same one I have in my computer. It also shows the different speeds to buy for the RAM and I don't see one that shows 1330MHz (or does that even matter?) I know how to stick stuff in computers but knowing all the little details on what to get or should get I have no idea so if anyone could point me in the right directions I'd greatly appreciate it!

the 1330mhz is for one channel

if you have two of the same kind then its 2666mhz and good

advertized speed is dual channel

well the single channel 1330 will correspond to 2660 when in dual. so whatever the matching stick is in terms of capacity and speed, get that. 

Rig 1: i7-9700k OC'd to 5.0ghz all core | EVGA XC RTX 2080Ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | ASUS PRIME Z370-P | Asetek 550LC 120mm | ADATA 480GB SSD & Toshiba P300 3TB | Cooler Master Masterbox MB500 | Win 10 Home | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, G502 Proteus Spectrum, G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Wireless Limited Edition, Corsair MM300 Mouse Pad | 2 MSI Optix Curved 27" FHD Monitors 

(before i sold the WD drive and MSI gpu - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11946219 171 gaming. felt good.)

Rig 2: i7-7700k Stock clocks | MSI Armor GTX 1070 | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8GB | MSI Z270 A-Pro | WD Green 240GB SSD & 2TB Seagate HDD | Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition | Win 10 Home | 2 HP Omen FHD 144hz 24.5" Monitors 

Rig 3: i7-6700 | GT 730 & GT 645 OEM | Some random DDR4 2133mhz 2x8gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | WD Black 2TB HDD & Toshiba 1TB HDD | Win 10 Home | 3 27" Dell FHD Monitors 

Rig 4: i7-4770 | EVGA SSC 1050ti | Some random DDR3 ram 2x2gb and 2x4gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | Stock Cooler | 1TB WD Black HDD | Win 7 Home 

RIP 

Rig 5 (dead and dismantled and sold) : i7-7820X OC'd to 4.8ghz all core | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO | Asetek 240mm AIO | WD Green 240gb SSD | Other various components that I can't remember

Rig 6 (same fate as rig 5) i7-8700k stock clocks | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8gb | MSI Z370 A-Pro | Asetek 550LC 120mm | WD Green 240GB SSD & Toshiba 2TB HDD | Other various components that I can't Remember 

The ones that it's showing I can buy are 2133mhz, 2400mhz, 2666mhz, 3200mhz, and 3466mhz. But I'm also not sure if this is the correct RAM I'm needing. I'm not sure how to figure that out.

If you want to run dual channel memory, you should buy RAM with specs as close to its pair as possible. Not just in its speed, but the timings as well. Getting the system to use dual channeling can be finicky if the RAM didn't come in pairs.

Also, the 2133, 2400, etc. are the double data rate (DDR) ratings. What you saw in Speccy was the actual clock speed that's being fed into the RAM. Just double the Speccy speed and you have the DDR rating.

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you want to run dual channel memory, you should buy RAM with specs as close to its pair as possible. Not just in its speed, but the timings as well. Getting the system to use dual channeling can be finicky if the RAM didn't come in pairs.

Also, the 2133, 2400, etc. are the double data rate (DDR) ratings. What you saw in Speccy was the actual clock speed that's being fed into the RAM. Just double the Speccy speed and you have the DDR rating.

So in other words I should go for the 2666mhz correct? Also, does it matter if I get the 4gb stick of ram instead of another 16gb? the 16 is a little over $100 and I'm pretty sure 20gb of ram is plenty.

1 hour ago, Zhaine said:

So in other words I should go for the 2666mhz correct? Also, does it matter if I get the 4gb stick of ram instead of another 16gb? the 16 is a little over $100 and I'm pretty sure 20gb of ram is plenty.

If your motherboard supports FLEX mode, then you can use 4GB in addition to the 16GB, but only 4GB of the 16GB will work in dual-channel. The rest will be handled in single-channel.

Otherwise it has to be another 16GB of RAM.

well dang. I'll just have to buy another 16gb of ram later. :( Thank you.

Sorry one more question. I have a gtx 1060 graphics card. Should I upgrade it to 1070 before the RAM? I was told the 1080 is a bit over kill and it's a little pricey.