Cannot Reset PC.

Cruzie
Go to solution Solved by Lord Sephington,
16 hours ago, Cruzie said:

I’m now getting a “0x80300024” error when trying to select my SSD to install windows. 

did you try to format that highlighted drive? if so how is that drive connected to your motherboard? is it an m.2 drive or is it via SATA cable? as all i can see on that error is that it may be a faulty SATA cable, or the 2nd drive is causing an issue with installation so you would have to unplug the 2nd drive and see if it helps with installing windows.

Either that or a long shot is that your drive you want to install windows 10 onto is formatted to the wrong file type. for UEFI bios it needs to be formatted in GPT format, for traditional BIOS it need to be formatted in MBR (legacy) so depending on your motherboard you may have to have a mess around with a program called Rufus USB as that will allow you to take the windows 10 ISO image and put it onto your usb drive via GPT or MBR format. like i said this is a longshot but it may the reason why you cannot install wondows. (sorry for late replay too but time difference and working hours)

I want to wipe my drives clean but every time i try to do so i get hit with a "There was a problem resetting your PC" followed by "no changes were made." how can i reset my PC!

use a program like killdisk, it will boot from a usb drive and enable you to fully format a drive without using windows.

When a man lies he murders some part of the world 
These are the pale deaths 
Which men miscall their lives 
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer 
Cannot the kingdom of salvation 
Take me home

would you mind going in depth. 

Just now, Cruzie said:

would you mind going in depth. 

Are you trying to just reinstall windows?

Also, make sure to quote people so we know when you reply!

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

basically download killdisk onto a usb drive, boot to it from F8 menu before windows loads (or use BIOS to boot from usb) then follow instructions to erase all data on drive, usually that means 1 pass and it should wipe drive clean ready for windows to be re-installed.

But if you want to just reset windows then this isnt the program you want to use as it will erase everything including your install of windows.

Take me home

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Are you trying to just reinstall windows?

Also, make sure to quote people so we know when you reply!

sorry i don't know why that quote didn't got through, but no, i'm trying to just clean it while having windows still installed. 

well if windows refuses to reset your install it sounds like there is some form of corruption stopping it from happening meaning you will need to use whatever install media you used to do a fresh install of windows.

Take me home

1 minute ago, jaybob85 said:

basically download killdisk onto a usb drive, boot to it from F8 menu before windows loads (or use BIOS to boot from usb) then follow instructions to erase all data on drive, usually that means 1 pass and it should wipe drive clean ready for windows to be re-installed.

But if you want to just reset windows then this isnt the program you want to use as it will erase everything including your install of windows.

Yeah, sorry this isn't what i was looking for, i just want to reset it while having windows installed still, i don't have the disk nor the product code.

1 minute ago, Cruzie said:

Yeah, sorry this isn't what i was looking for, i just want to reset it while having windows installed still, i don't have the disk nor the product code.

if it is windows 10 you can download it for free from microsoft and use a usb drive to re-install windows that way. the only thing you would need to do is to get a product key to activate it, but you will have a fresh install

Take me home

1 minute ago, jaybob85 said:

if it is windows 10 you can download it for free from microsoft and use a usb drive to re-install windows that way. the only thing you would need to do is to get a product key to activate it, but you will have a fresh install

I do have windows 10 and bought a product key off of kinguin almost a year ago, my main concern is wiping the drive clean and having to buy a new key. if need be ill buy a new key because i have no idea what info i used to get the key. i also have a boot drive on a usb that i just downloaded. 

2 minutes ago, Cruzie said:

I do have windows 10 and bought a product key off of kinguin almost a year ago, my main concern is wiping the drive clean and having to buy a new key. if need be ill buy a new key because i have no idea what info i used to get the key. i also have a boot drive on a usb that i just downloaded. 

Windows 10's activation is tied to your motherboard or ms account, you don't need to worry about that

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Cruzie said:

If you wipe clean you should be able to use the original key as it is tied to your motherboard info (hardware i.d.) so you shouldnt have to buy another key.

to find info on your key download magical jellybean to find your windows key and write it down simple as that.

then download windows from microsoft and use their program to make it into a bootable usb and you should be good to go

Take me home

4 minutes ago, jaybob85 said:

If you wipe clean you should be able to use the original key as it is tied to your motherboard info (hardware i.d.) so you shouldnt have to buy another key.

to find info on your key download magic jellybean to find your windows key and write it down simple as that.

then download windows from microsoft and use their program to make it into a bootable usb and you should be good to go

okay, i got the key! thank you for that. so now how do i completely wipe the whole drive for a fresh install of windows 10 again. 

1 minute ago, Cruzie said:

okay, i got the key! thank you for that. so now how do i completely wipe the whole drive for a fresh install of windows 10 again. 

if you download windows 10 from microsoft, there will be an option to use a usb drive/dvd to install, once you do that you can format the drive from the install menu of windows installer and that should erase previous windows install and do a fresh install.

hope this helps.

Take me home

4 minutes ago, Cruzie said:

it should look something like what is pictured. highlight the drive then hit format then continue with a fresh install

1af153e7-99e0-4277-9bdd-b9c3683fc1b3.png

Take me home

1 hour ago, Lord Sephington said:

it should look something like what is pictured. highlight the drive then hit format then continue with a fresh install

1af153e7-99e0-4277-9bdd-b9c3683fc1b3.png

This is what I’m getting now. 

image.jpg

I’m now getting a “0x80300024” error when trying to select my SSD to install windows. 

16 hours ago, Cruzie said:

did you try to format that highlighted drive? if so how is that drive connected to your motherboard? is it an m.2 drive or is it via SATA cable? as all i can see on that error is that it may be a faulty SATA cable, or the 2nd drive is causing an issue with installation so you would have to unplug the 2nd drive and see if it helps with installing windows.

Either that or a long shot is that your drive you want to install windows 10 onto is formatted to the wrong file type. for UEFI bios it needs to be formatted in GPT format, for traditional BIOS it need to be formatted in MBR (legacy) so depending on your motherboard you may have to have a mess around with a program called Rufus USB as that will allow you to take the windows 10 ISO image and put it onto your usb drive via GPT or MBR format. like i said this is a longshot but it may the reason why you cannot install wondows. (sorry for late replay too but time difference and working hours)

Take me home