Help getting RC car

Hamface55

Hello,

I have always loved RC cars but never really got into the hobby. Someone down my street has a super cool rc car thats pretty fast. Just wondering what can I get to have fun with thats sub $100? Something that has a little power and speed and can drift a little. I was looking at this car https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Y5Z2X3/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1IED1Q3HGQJQ1 

but dont know if its a good buy.

Thanks!

That's an expensive hobby... Buckle up.

The battery that runs on is a bit strange, the "good" ones will use name-brand LiPo batteries, Turnigy for example. 

No other thoughts...

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

There's a problem that you will quickly run into with the hobby:

You can buy a cheap car, but have to buy a completely new one when it breaks.
You can buy an expensive car, and just have to buy expensive parts when it breaks.

If you use the car, it will definitely break, so "I'll just be careful" isn't a solution to that problem. In all honesty, I feel like I've had to replace more parts from "being careful" than I have from normal driving.

BTW, that car *appears to be a rip off of one of the Slash models:
https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/58024slash

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

As long as it has a metal chassis and what stewie said, you can buy replacement parts.  R/C planes are cheaper than cars.

Buy something from one of the large brands, like traxxas, which actually has thousands of replacement parts and upgrade parts that won't be discontinued in a few years.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'd second @Enderman  Parts replacement is key with this hobby.  You need to make sure that parts are readily available for when you f*ck up.  (You WILL f*ck up).  Traxxas, HPI probably the two biggest (and most expensive)  Tamiya is a good alternative for a novice.  TT-02 Kit can be had around the $100 mark.  (though nine times out of ten you'll have to supply radio gear and a faster motor, if you wish)  Plus a couple of bucks on Amazon will probably net you some proper 'Drifting' wheels for it so you can go sliding about in your local car park or garage for as long as you want.

This Dude  Knows his stuff ;)

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!