Is a bios update worth it?

I've trying to get my ram running at its rated speeds for ages and am finally considered updating my bios.

Im using a ryzen 5 2600x and a msi b350 tomahawk.

I want to know the risks of a bios update and if it would be worth it

thanks in advance

Absolutely yes, especially on Ryzen. AGESA updates fix bugs and patches security holes so it's important to keep your BIOS updated.

Also assuming you don't suffer power cuts there's really no risk, the board won't flash an incorrect BIOS. Just DO NOT use a Windows based utility to flash, use a FAT32 flash drive, reboot to UEFI and do it through Q Flash.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

do it, just be sure you don't have drives in RAID trough the BIOS/motherboard.

20 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Absolutely yes, especially on Ryzen. AGESA updates fix bugs and patches security holes so it's important to keep your BIOS updated.

Also assuming you don't suffer power cuts there's really no risk, the board won't flash an incorrect BIOS. Just DO NOT use a Windows based utility to flash, use a FAT32 flash drive, reboot to UEFI and do it through Q Flash.

Why not use the windows installers. Security issues?

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

10 minutes ago, unsungheroist said:

Why not use the windows installers. Security issues?

Possibility of bricking the board is exponentially higher as Windows software can override the built in security measures and (unconfirmed/anecdotal) flash reliability is also lower through Windows.

9 times out of 10 when you see a bricked board because of a bad flash it was done through Windows software.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I knew there is a reason I like dual bios. Thanks gigabyte 

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

With a Ryzen yes it is worth it. I'm rocking a Gigabyte B350 board and since the latest bios update, when at stock settings, my cpu will boost to 4199 MHz on 3 cores. It could never achieve that before this update.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

11 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Possibility of bricking the board is exponentially higher as Windows software can override the built in security measures and (unconfirmed/anecdotal) flash reliability is also lower through Windows.

9 times out of 10 when you see a bricked board because of a bad flash it was done through Windows software.

Yep, bricked my first X370 board doing a BIOS update from Windows.  Luckily, Amazon didn't ask any questions and sent me a new one.  Have always done BIOS updates from inside the BIOS ever since.