Judge Dismisses Google Glass Driver Case

Torand

Original article:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/01/18/google-glass-driver-appears-in-court-to-fight-ticket/

gogole-glass-v2-with-earpiece-1-630x420.

A San Diego woman was pulled over and issued a ticket late last year because she was wearing Google Glass while driving. She appeared in court Thursday and pleaded not guilty, the BBC said. Why? Because the state actually fined her for breaking a law that makes it illegal for watching TV while driving, since there isn’t a specific law against Google Glass yet. Now, a judge has ruled in her favor.

Cecilia Abadie, the woman who received a ticket, argued that U.S. laws need to better describe what’s legal and what isn’t, particularly when it comes to new technology such as Google Glass. “It’s a big responsibility for me and also for the judge who is going to interpret a very old law compared with how fast technology is changing,” Abadie told the Associated Press, as cited by the BBC, before the judge found her not guilty.

The officer who issued the ticket might not have been entirely wrong, at least since he or she classified Google Glass as a “monitor.” That’s what was supposed to be up for debate in court: whether or not Google Glass fits that description. Oddly, the court ruled in Abadie’s favor not because Google Glass wasn’t a monitor, but because it apparently wasn’t on at the time. The main concern comes with distraction while driving, though it still remains a question if Google Glass is indeed a distraction (under law) or not.

There definitely needs to be a law ruling one way or another, especially as Google Glass advances and automakers look to add functionality. Hyundai, for example, is already working to integrate Google Glass into its 2015 cars.

Certainly interesting.

I agree fully with the quote "It’s a big responsibility for me and also for the judge who is going to interpret a very old law compared with how fast technology is changing". This needs to be echoed and heard among all courts, you cannot apply old law to an ever changing society around technology.

Although I do agree with one thing, any distraction while driving (while you are in control) should be prohibited.

What are your thoughts?

Really would have thought this would have sparked discussion. Meh, you win some you lose some. :]

I say they should've fined her.. Cause just because you probably weren't using the google glass, doesn't mean she wasn't.. Even if the device is not a "monitor" using it while driving will distract you..

Any distracting or potentially ditracting device (phone, tablet, google glass, a book for that matter) shouldn't be near your hands or face while driving. And I think should be fined when seen by a police officer..

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

I say they should've fined her.. Cause just because you probably weren't using the google glass, doesn't mean she wasn't.. Even if the device is not a "monitor" using it while driving will distract you..

Any distracting or potentially ditracting device (phone, tablet, google glass, a book for that matter) shouldn't be near your hands or face while driving. And I think should be fined when seen by a police officer..

The only reason that they didn't fine her was the proved the device was "off", causing no distracting content to appear. The 'official' charge was that she was watching TV while driving. As there was no content displayed, the charge technically didn't carry.

But I 100% agree, any device that causes distraction whilst driving should be a fine-able offence; phones, tablets, tv, books, etc.. including, in this case, Google Glass. 

ALTHOUGH

Think about this; 

Google Glass now has prescription lenses and people HAVE to wear them. Maybe some near field technology or speed sensing/environment sensing tech to notice when you are in the drivers seat (as the passenger still may want to use glass) and disable glass? As you are going to need you correctional lenses to drive! :)

The only reason that they didn't fine her was the proved the device was "off", causing no distracting content to appear. The 'official' charge was that she was watching TV while driving. As there was no content displayed, the charge technically didn't carry.

But I 100% agree, any device that causes distraction whilst driving should be a fine-able offence; phones, tablets, tv, books, etc.. including, in this case, Google Glass. 

ALTHOUGH

Think about this; 

Google Glass now has prescription lenses and people HAVE to wear them. Maybe some near field technology or speed sensing/environment sensing tech to notice when you are in the drivers seat (as the passenger still may want to use glass) and disable glass? As you are going to need you correctional lenses to drive! :)

Well I agree on the first part then..

But you should just buy regular glasses for driving so I can't agree on the latter.

how is it more distracting that a gps or media system?

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Original article:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/01/18/google-glass-driver-appears-in-court-to-fight-ticket/

Certainly interesting.

I agree fully with the quote "It’s a big responsibility for me and also for the judge who is going to interpret a very old law compared with how fast technology is changing". This needs to be echoed and heard among all courts, you cannot apply old law to an ever changing society around technology.

Although I do agree with one thing, any distraction while driving (while you are in control) should be prohibited.

What are your thoughts?

It should never have gone to court, it's like saying you can't use your phone as a sat nav, while it's mounted on the dash. It was hands free, and I realise it takes up your vision more than a phone but still its only a small part of your vision, and that's only when it's on. I think its a better alternative to a gps, because you can use speech and it is hands free.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

Rubbish , half the people in the world would be lost without a GPS , and that is defined as a "monitor that displays information" which yes , distracts you , but not enough to cause accidents.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Rubbish , half the people in the world would be lost without a GPS , and that is defined as a "monitor that displays information" which yes , distracts you , but not enough to cause accidents.

actually the use of a GPS system has already caused several accidents already.

Not saying you shouldn't use a GPS but people can get to pre-occupied with these just as much as with a phone, or as I think they could be with google glass.

About freakin time there was a judge with a brain on one of these cases 

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

actually the use of a GPS system has already caused several accidents already.

Not saying you shouldn't use a GPS but people can get to pre-occupied with these just as much as with a phone, or as I think they could be with google glass.

Of course they can, but my point is that it's better than a GPS cause you don't have to take your hands off the wheel.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Of course they can, but my point is that it's better than a GPS cause you don't have to take your hands off the wheel.

Well first off I did say  "shouldn't be near your hands or face while driving."

And you can set a GPS before you start driving so thats becomes invalid

And I don't agree, you can listen to your GPS and just glance it sometimes to now what you're doing..

A device like google glass takes a lot more concentration.. Its infront of your face the entire time and you will be influenced that way whether you like it or not.

Certainly when you use it. You don't watch your phone while you use yet it distracts you. With a google glass you're always watching (while using) and you get distracted because of speach or what ever..

I say its even worse than using a phone while driving.

Do know that I say that this is while using google glass, not just because you wear one..

But its easy saying you weren't using it thats why every google glass should be fined..

Well first off I did say  "shouldn't be near your hands or face while driving."

And you can set a GPS before you start driving so thats becomes invalid

And I don't agree, you can listen to your GPS and just glance it sometimes to now what you're doing..

A device like google glass takes a lot more concentration.. Its infront of your face the entire time and you will be influenced that way whether you like it or not.

Certainly when you use it. You don't watch your phone while you use yet it distracts you. With a google glass you're always watching (while using) and you get distracted because of speach or what ever..

I say its even worse than using a phone while driving.

Do know that I say that this is while using google glass, not just because you wear one..

But its easy saying you weren't using it thats why every google glass should be fined..

I understand where you are coming from, and I guess you are right to a certain extent but i think if it is in your peripheral vision then you don't have to take your eyes off the road and can still see your navigation while having full concentration on the road. It's something you would have to get used too, just like when GPS first came out and people found it distracting. 

Main Rig:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler