Suitable Upgrade from i5 4690k and GTX 970

Doxy_

Hello all, I was wanting to ask about upgrade choices for my current PC. As mentioned in the Title, I have the following components in my 3+ year old system (Late 2015)

i5 4690k

Corsair H55 120mm Cooler

Gtx 970

8gb Ddr3 Ram

Asus Z97-P Motherboard
1TB HDD

250GB SSD

I was thinking of Upgrading the PC later this year, but I'm unsure on which route to take. I'm definitely going to purchase more ram and possibly a new Graphics card. But the CPU choice has me torn.

Are Intel CPU's still worth purchasing for a Mid-range budget? Would it be more efficient to purchase a AMD cpu and replace the motherboard too? If Intel is the right way to go, which CPU would you recommend and which graphics card would you pair with it? And the same question for AMD. I've lightly kept up to date with the tech industry in recent years, but not to the extent that I'm sure a lot of you have, so I'd appreciate some advice if possible. Please ask any questions you'd like. 

I'd wait for zen 2. the zen 6c12t + 1660 ti (or wait for navi) would be a good upgrade. the 970 is good for 1080p 60fps high settings.

7 minutes ago, Doxy_ said:

I had a very similar build to yours and upgraded last summer. Unfortunately upgrading your CPU means getting a new motherboard and RAM because the CPU sockets have changed and DDR4 is now the standard. 

we might be able to help more if we knew approximately what your budget is. For mid range budgets, AMD is probably the way to go. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Maybe even staying on same platform isn't a bad option. Just getting 4790k and overclocking it, 8 more GB of DDR3 RAM for cheap and perhaps used 1080Ti or something that could last. 

15 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

I had a very similar build to yours and upgraded last summer. Unfortunately upgrading your CPU means getting a new motherboard and RAM because the CPU sockets have changed and DDR4 is now the standard. 

we might be able to help more if we knew approximately what your budget is. For mid range budgets, AMD is probably the way to go. 

Hey, I don't really have a specific budget set in mind right now, but I'd definitely say Mid range.

3 minutes ago, Yoola said:

Maybe even staying on same platform isn't a bad option. Just getting 4790k and overclocking it, 8 more GB of DDR3 RAM for cheap and perhaps used 1080Ti or something that could last. 

Would staying on Intel and doing what you said, be worth it for the money and in the long run? Wouldn't switching to AMD be more beneficial in the future?

1 minute ago, Doxy_ said:

Would staying on Intel and doing what you said, be worth it for the money and in the long run? Wouldn't switching to AMD be more beneficial in the future?

This would be just a cheaper option if you're itching for an upgrade right now. What I'd do is definitely wait for July and Ryzen 3rd gen to see what they bring before making major decisions. There's also some leaks of GTX 1180 poping on hp's site, so that might be a thing in the meanwhile aswell. 

Gaming performance is generally going to be a sidegrade with Ryzen, with some specific games that are heavily multithreaded as outliers. Intel will give you a big bump, but it's not going to be "mid-range".

I'd recommend waiting until Zen 2 and whatever Intel's response to that is, before buying.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

5 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Gaming performance is generally going to be a sidegrade with Ryzen, with some specific games that are heavily multithreaded as outliers. Intel will give you a big bump, but it's not going to be "mid-range".

I'd recommend waiting until Zen 2 and whatever Intel's response to that is, before buying.

Yes, what I would do is get a 8700k or 8086k and definitely 16GB of RAM and a SSD.  You can stick with your graphics card if your gaming at 1080p it will give you your 60fps and not drop, unless you go ultra super high in graphics options in games.  

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 hour ago, Doxy_ said:

Hey, I don't really have a specific budget set in mind right now, but I'd definitely say Mid range.

8GB of RAM just struggles, but if your willing to wait till summer Ryzen 3 is coming out then. I would look to just upgrading your GPU to an RX 480 8GB