High RAM usage

Hi guys,
I have 16GB of ram in my system and when I casually use my PC it the ram idles at around 7 or 8GB. I don't think this is normal. I have 2 monitors and usually have 2 firefox open and discord. Are my ram sticks going bad? How do I find out, I think before it used to idle around 3-4GB. I run Norton antivirus and Malwarebytes in the background.  I tried playing the new game anthem and when the game starts, the RAM shoots up to around 15.6 GB and I can't even play the game anymore bc its stutter and lag around etc

My specs:

cpu  intel4790k

memory: gskil ripjaws ddr3 2133Mhz running XMP

HDD 1tb WD blue (OS and programs here) & 2 TB wd black (anthem installed here)

air cooler for cpu and 4 case fans running on pwm

GTX 970

Please let me know what I can do to troubleshoot.
Thanks for your help, appreciate it

3 minutes ago, Adgj533 said:

Hi guys,
I have 16GB of ram in my system and when I casually use my PC it the ram idles at around 7 or 8GB. I don't think this is normal. I have 2 monitors and usually have 2 firefox open and discord. Are my ram sticks going bad? How do I find out, I think before it used to idle around 3-4GB. I run Norton antivirus and Malwarebytes in the background.  I tried playing the new game anthem and when the game starts, the RAM shoots up to around 15.6 GB and I can't even play the game anymore bc its stutter and lag around etc

My specs:

cpu  intel4790k

memory: gskil ripjaws ddr3 2133Mhz running XMP

HDD 1tb WD blue (OS and programs here) & 2 TB wd black (anthem installed here)

air cooler for cpu and 4 case fans running on pwm

GTX 970

Please let me know what I can do to troubleshoot.
Thanks for your help, appreciate it

why do u have 2 antivirus programs?

@ki8aras Norton for Antivirus, malwarebytes for anti malware/spyware rootkits etc

2 antivirus not the issue, I uninstalled both today just to check and the ram had no significant changes. So I installed both of them back.

I hear ya on ram use with 16gb and 2 monitors. Check task manager. But I do know when I open one window of Chrome it opens like 10 programs of it on task manager due to addon's or scripts. But task manager will let you know. Also may wanna dial down your settings on Anthem that should help use less ram and make it playable. 

My Rig: CPU: i9-9900k (5Ghz), Ram: 32gigs 3600mhz DDR4 CL16, MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus z390 Ultra, HDD: Samsung 970 Evo 500gig x2, Samsung 850 evo 250 gig, 2 TB Baracuda 7200 rpm,6tb WD Black 7200rpm, 4TB NAS, GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Master

@Livinloud I have attached a screenshot and its all firefox mainly, but I have always run firefox and never had any problems. Do you think the browser is infected with virus maybe? the only addons I use are adblocks, BTTV for twitch  and grammarly extention. Should i uninstall firefox?

mem2.PNG

On 2/23/2019 at 5:46 AM, Adgj533 said:

@Livinloud I have attached a screenshot and its all firefox mainly, but I have always run firefox and never had any problems. Do you think the browser is infected with virus maybe? the only addons I use are adblocks, BTTV for twitch  and grammarly extention. Should i uninstall firefox?

mem2.PNG

Well looks like it is using a lot of memory..when playing your game yes I would close firefox..I see 7 firefox.exe programs running. Also one can be the adblocker and same with other addons. Also possible it may tie in with Google possibly but idk..

My Rig: CPU: i9-9900k (5Ghz), Ram: 32gigs 3600mhz DDR4 CL16, MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus z390 Ultra, HDD: Samsung 970 Evo 500gig x2, Samsung 850 evo 250 gig, 2 TB Baracuda 7200 rpm,6tb WD Black 7200rpm, 4TB NAS, GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Master

If you need to keep firefox and others open you might want to just get more ram. you also have a svchost.exe that is taking almost 500mb, you might want to go through and either disable some apps from running in the background or startup. you could find some things you don't use and uninstall them. Something is running in the background, I've never seen a svchost that large, my largest is only 36mb

Edit: I'll also clarify, if your ram was going bad you'd be getting system crashed, not higher RAM utilization. it is more likely due to programs you've installed that start with windows and are always running. Easy fixes are uninstall a lot, start with a fresh windows install, or just buy some more 2133 DDR3 ram

I do remember I had a friend once make a batch file that cleaned up a lot of useless windows 10 programs however, I don't know if he has it anymore. We've been out of contact anyway since I left AIT.